all posts post new thread

Barbell Mixed grip vs. Hook grip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NoahMarek

Level 5 Valued Member
When deadlifting, should I alternate mixed grips in order to maintain symmetry or use a hook grip? I am not a competitive deadlifter, but I do want to be strong in the lift. What is recommended by SFL for gripping the barbell for the deadlift for the noncompetitive lifter (besides double overhand no hook grip). I am thinking hook grip may be best especially since I have some athletic tape I could wrap my thumbs in if need be, but I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I don't know what's recommended in the SFL, but hook grip for me.
One of the good things about my crossfit experience was that I learned the lifts (PL + Oly) at the same time and therefore used the hook from the beginning so I can't comment on the hard transition phase many talk about.

Hook grip. If you ever reach a 3x BW deadlift, it could be a problem, but as you are not a competitive powerlifter it shouldn't be a problem.

When deadlifting, should I alternate mixed grips in order to maintain symmetry or use a hook grip? I am not a competitive deadlifter, but I do want to be strong in the lift. What is recommended by SFL for gripping the barbell for the deadlift for the noncompetitive lifter (besides double overhand no hook grip).
If you are not using a hook grip, use the double overhand grip when you want to strengthen your grip. It's common, and good, to use a double overhand grip until the weight becomes too heavy, then switch to a mixed grip. If using a mixed grip, it's good to do some each way, even if you don't balance them exactly.

I'll give you a personal example. On days when I am deadlifting a weight with which I'm OK with a double overhand grip, I will start my workout that way, switch to my least-favored mixed grip in the middle as grip fatigue starts to set in, and switch to my favorite mixed grip to finish the session. Another approach would be to warmup with double overhand then alternate between the two mixed grips by the set.

If you're hook gripping, I'd just hook grip everything.

-S-

My hook grip is as strong as my mixed so you won't be giving anything up by using the hook. If you can deal with the discomfort of the hook then use it. Tape on the thumbs helps but it tends to slide off for me so I no longer bother with tape when I do the Olympic lifts. For DLs I use a mixed grip cuz I'm a wuss.

Once you build up the hook grip callous and your thumb becomes a senseless piece of meat you will be fine. For most people hook grip is awkward and painful, and the suck factor is too much. If you have average or smaller hands anything over 28mm makes hook grip difficult.

Athletic tape on the thumb is a usually preference thing. I have known lifters who developed nerve damage and/or chronic dislocations of the thumb so they relied on taping the thumb. You may or may not like the feel of it. Try it.

The major disadvantage of hook grip is you rely on the positive locking of the thumb, not on grip strength. I relied on hook grip for many years which put grip strength at a disadvantage.

Now I Double Overhand as much as possible, and switch up my Mixed Grips as to not be to dominant on one side. I do not compete either.

@Geoff Chafe is 100% correct. I have somewhat small hands and chubby fingers, and anything over the regulation bar diameter of 28 mm and my thumbs slip out.

He is also right about the hook grip weakening the grip, which seems ironic. My OL coach said that the best way to get used to the hook grip was to hook grip the bar on everything, including warm up weights. He was right - start with light weight and your thumbs just get used to it. But after several weeks of not doing KBs I decided to do some swings and my grip was crap. I never had nerve damage but the tendon in my right thumb did get somewhat irritated.

Look, if you have no plans to compete just go double overhand until the weight gets heavy and then use straps. There's no shame in using straps. If you ever get the bug to compete you can then experiment with either hook gripping or using a mixed grip.

On days when I am deadlifting a weight with which I'm OK with a double overhand grip, I will start my workout that way, switch to my least-favored mixed grip in the middle as grip fatigue starts to set in, and switch to my favorite mixed grip to finish the session.

This makes a TON of sense. Notice that you likely get more reps in with the grip challenge, then with the non-dominant mixed grip. I picked this approach up from Bud Jeffries and use it often for any and all "this or that" questions. Fatgips? Rackpulls? one Hand? Suitcase? Do it all and have fun with it. Start with the least advantageous and switch variations as you are forced, when weight climbs.

Once you build up the hook grip callous and your thumb becomes a senseless piece of meat you will be fine.
O Ho Ho! Brutally descriptive.

I have known lifters who developed nerve damage and/or chronic dislocations of the thumb
From the one time I tried it, that does not seem surprising. felt a definite twist and pull sensation like I might use to pull off a chicken wing. I don't get the hook grip personally, other than as a technique to deal with the particular rules of a sport. I don't see it for my own training, which isn't structured by any sport. For any Hook grip afficianados. Has this particular challenge to the thumb carried over to help anywhere else? I'm all for practices then end in strange uncommon abilities.

For any Hook grip afficianados. Has this particular challenge to the thumb carried over to help anywhere else? I'm all for practices then end in strange uncommon abilities.

I do everything with a hook grip now: hold the steering wheel, brush my teeth, hold my spoon, take a pee.

Obviously I'm joking. The hook grip doesn't really have application beyond holding a barbell. As I and Geoff mentioned, it will actually weaken your grip to some extent, but that's the price you pay when you compete in a sport.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom