all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mixed modality minimalism

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris Hall

Level 5 Valued Member
I love two and three lift programs...but I also love kettle bell And barbell and body weight moves....so I often find myself doing one of each. Currently it is front squats, chin-ups and kb press. Swings and bench is a favourite two move routine. Anybody else have favourite two or three move programs that mix disciplines?

Dan John has an interesting article called The Killer App, or something similar. He explains how while the same exercises can be done with different equipment, each piece of gear really excels at some things. So, KB, great for ballistics, BB, best for grinds, the TRX gets those hard to reach places, etc.

My favorite Easy Strength workout, while not three move uber simple, is kinda like that.

KB swings and goblets to warm up
BB DL
DB Incline BP
Pull up
TRX T/W/Y pulls
Farmer's Walk
Ab wheel

I used to do Simple and Sinister that way. Basically I would do the Simple and Sinister workout 5 days per week but I would put one lift for 4-5 sets at the end of the simple and sinister workout. Usually alternating Bench Press, Pullups, and Barbell Squats.

Sandbags, kettlebells, bodyweight, weighted pole (Hobo bundle). I don't think any of my sessions are all one mode anymore except by chance.

vegpedlr, thanks for mentioning the killer app article. Just read it and thought it was great. The t y I rows look interesting. About to go and try them. I have often thought that the only point of a trx is for rows, but they are SO good for that, that they are worth having.

I have seen somewhere in one of the articles here how Pavel mentions that the suspension row is too demanding on on the abs/glutes to be of the best benefit. I tend to agree for someone doing other heavy lifts that require tension, but I do think the TRX row is amazing for GPP with general population at a low level. I love exercises that make you move your body through space. Tim Anderson of Original Strength wrote somewhere the importance of exercises that force the body to be moved through space to stimulate the vestibular system. I thought it was one of the most genius things I've read in a long time. TRX rows are the best for this regarding pulls if one cannot do chins or pullups.

Dan John's Killer App article was very good as well. Great job of highlighting the best tool for the job. The T I Y series is an awesome addition to add in extra pulls - very smart in a world of hunched shoulders and rounded spines.

As for my favourite mixed disciplines - Swings + Pullups, Swings + KB presses, there are many!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom