all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed MMA or BJJ or Muay Thai ?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JW513

Level 5 Valued Member
I've always been interested in learning one of these, I guess i was always to shy to try it out.. But now i'd like to get into MMA... There is a school near me that does MMA, BJJ and MT... They all interest me. Its a real legit studio too, I'd like to do MMA, they claim its a mix of both BJJ and Muay Thai, plus some boxing and wrestling.. But from what i've read, people say its better to focus on one specific style and then go to MMA.

I'm almost 28, i'm also going into the Army National Guard this year if all goes well. My work out routine is calisthenics, grip training and sandbag training plus running. I don't want to give up my routine, but I'll dial back in the beginning. I'm doing this for personal development, confidence, self defense and the social aspect, all my friends have moved away.. I wouldn't rule out competing at an amateur level but thats not in my agenda right now. Just looking for some feedback. I'm really leaning towards either MMA or BJJ, but i'd like to learn striking too.. Thanks

I’d say try them all at least a few times, then decide. BJJ is not for everyone, you have to learn to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations like having a sweaty 200lb beast squeeze the air out of you, and still want to come back for more. It’s good in that you can train 100% speed and intensity, but not everyone takes to it.

The same goes for Muay Thai, not everyone can get into it, so try it and see if you like it. It’s more pad work with partners, you can’t soar 100% all the time so it’s a lot of technique training and cardio, less feeling like you’re getting your a#@ kicked every class.

MMA isn’t really a style, you need to know at least the basics of striking and grappling to start combining them, but MMA classes are good because it’s more realistic.

I’d say try them all at least a few times, then decide. BJJ is not for everyone, you have to learn to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations like having a sweaty 200lb beast squeeze the air out of you, and still want to come back for more. It’s good in that you can train 100% speed and intensity, but not everyone takes to it.

The same goes for Muay Thai, not everyone can get into it, so try it and see if you like it. It’s more pad work with partners, you can’t soar 100% all the time so it’s a lot of technique training and cardio, less feeling like you’re getting your a#@ kicked every class.

MMA isn’t really a style, you need to know at least the basics of striking and grappling to start combining them, but MMA classes are good because it’s more realistic.
What you said about BJJ is one of the reasons I want to try it... I love pushing myself and getting comfortable with the uncomfortable. . The art itself interests me. Also I'm fascinated by leverage...Must be because I come from a construction background. It's a weird thing to be into but hey.. There is also judo,... Right now, I think I should try MMA and BJJ, talk to the instructors and others about my goals and go from there.

What you said about BJJ is one of the reasons I want to try it... I love pushing myself and getting comfortable with the uncomfortable. . The art itself interests me. Also I'm fascinated by leverage...Must be because I come from a construction background. It's a weird thing to be into but hey.. There is also judo,... Right now, I think I should try MMA and BJJ, talk to the instructors and others about my goals and go from there.
I think BJJ should be tried by everyone. Just remember, there’s a reason the average time to black belt is 10 years, it takes a LOT of work to learn the intricacies so don’t get frustrated.

I've always been interested in learning one of these, I guess i was always to shy to try it out.. But now i'd like to get into MMA... There is a school near me that does MMA, BJJ and MT... They all interest me. Its a real legit studio too, I'd like to do MMA, they claim its a mix of both BJJ and Muay Thai, plus some boxing and wrestling.. But from what i've read, people say its better to focus on one specific style and then go to MMA.

I'm almost 28, i'm also going into the Army National Guard this year if all goes well. My work out routine is calisthenics, grip training and sandbag training plus running. I don't want to give up my routine, but I'll dial back in the beginning. I'm doing this for personal development, confidence, self defense and the social aspect, all my friends have moved away.. I wouldn't rule out competing at an amateur level but thats not in my agenda right now. Just looking for some feedback. I'm really leaning towards either MMA or BJJ, but i'd like to learn striking too.. Thanks
I'd have to go with BJJ as well. The first level of the Army's martial arts program is basically teaching you up to blue belt level BJJ so you'll have a leg up. Google Modern Army Combatives for info. Should still be the same unless they made major changes.

It's all good. Try them all, see what you like. As pointed our earlier, most folks don't train any combative art, and amongst those who do, even fewer grapple. Not only is it uncomfortable, but in many striking arts, you can lie to yourself about how things would have gone in a "real fight" after a sparring session, but when you tap, there is no place to hide the ego.

My vote for Muay Thai although any approach is going to fit your bill.

I'll also put in a plug for FMA/Escrima/Kali if available. These will offer good conditioning, respectable striking skill, and some things the rest don't really encompass but is priceless in actual SD - knife/weapons familiarity and mobility to deal with multiple assailants.

Give them all a try to see what you like. I love BJJ but have also done a little Muay Thai (fitness-oriented, not sparring) and I enjoyed it as a work out, but I had no interest in live sparring. That, in my opinion, is where the grappling arts shine.

Also, don't feel bad about visiting a few different academies-- BJJ instructors can be a bit... high and mighty about things like "loyalty" and "respect" when the reality is they are little more than a glorified personal trainer.

Give them all a try to see what you like. I love BJJ but have also done a little Muay Thai (fitness-oriented, not sparring) and I enjoyed it as a work out, but I had no interest in live sparring. That, in my opinion, is where the grappling arts shine.

Also, don't feel bad about visiting a few different academies-- BJJ instructors can be a bit... high and mighty about things like "loyalty" and "respect" when the reality is they are little more than a glorified personal trainer.
I agree on both of these points.

I'm protective of my brain, and while I love stand-up sparring, the risk/reward of doing it too often just isn't worth it for me. I'm 44 years old and don't need the money or the ego validation, so I'm won't be entering a ring or cage competitively... ever. And a self-defense focused BJJ school will incorporate standup training, not just for competition grappling but also for protecting yourself from punches, kicks, knees, and so on. And of course, 'jits with hits' is a ton of fun - basically grappling with gloves and light punches or slaps. Generally though, with BJJ you can go hard as often as you want without worrying too much.

It also took me a long time to find a BJJ school that "fit" my personality, so don't be shy about using the free class options to get a sense for the culture of various schools. Do a bunch of online research too (for example, you can get a good sense for the culture of 10th Planet vs. Gracie Barra vs. Gracie University vs. other schools pretty quickly). And of course, the closer to you the better since BJJ is hard enough without having to worry about a long commute. An additional 10-15 minutes each way can make a big difference ;)

I agree on both of these points.

I'm protective of my brain, and while I love stand-up sparring, the risk/reward of doing it too often just isn't worth it for me. I'm 44 years old and don't need the money or the ego validation, so I'm won't be entering a ring or cage competitively... ever. And a self-defense focused BJJ school will incorporate standup training, not just for competition grappling but also for protecting yourself from punches, kicks, knees, and so on. And of course, 'jits with hits' is a ton of fun - basically grappling with gloves and light punches or slaps. Generally though, with BJJ you can go hard as often as you want without worrying too much.

It also took me a long time to find a BJJ school that "fit" my personality, so don't be shy about using the free class options to get a sense for the culture of various schools. Do a bunch of online research too (for example, you can get a good sense for the culture of 10th Planet vs. Gracie Barra vs. Gracie University vs. other schools pretty quickly). And of course, the closer to you the better since BJJ is hard enough without having to worry about a long commute. An additional 10-15 minutes each way can make a big difference ;)
yup there is one about 15 minutes away from my house. It seems real nice, its where i will try first and hopefully last.

thanks everyone for all the feedback. I'm the kind of person that if i like it, i'm going to stick with it forever.

BJJ will be much more useful in just about any MOS you come across, but especially so in combat arms. It also is much kinder to brains, and having had a few TBIs and noticed the impact, I need all the brain kindness I can get. I only recently started BJJ so I wouldn't say I'm experienced but I wish I had it 10-15 years ago.

I'm doing this for personal development, confidence, self defense and the social aspect, all my friends have moved away.. I wouldn't rule out competing at an amateur level but thats not in my agenda right now. Just looking for some feedback. I'm really leaning towards either MMA or BJJ, but i'd like to learn striking too.. Thanks.

Over the years I've trained BJJ, boxing and muay Thai, with a smattering of MMA. Considering your goals (especially self-defense) and being as young as you are, I think the perfect plan for you would be to do 6 months to a year of boxing before getting into a grappling art and staying with it for the long term. One of the primary reasons I like boxing is because of the footwork. If you are ever attacked or have to angle out and run away from someone with a knife or potential multiple attackers, it will be footwork that saves you. I've been in the ring plenty of times with someone with superior hands and survived, but if someone has a combination of superior hands, head movement, and footwork, the amount of pressure that they can put on you is incredible.

I would take care of your brain, as mentioned in the above post by @Mike Torres and @Coyotl , and not spar with meatheads or have them throw you to the wolves, but if you can link up with a few guys who you can trust in a boxing gym (usually the more experienced guys with nothing to prove) and have them work with you at a light-moderate pace, you can pick up enough boxing to save yourself in most situations. It will also complement any grappling art that you train later, because you will be used to punches coming at you from different angles, which is essential to entering into the clinch and executing a takedown.

Regarding choosing a grappling art: if I were starting over in my journey, I would definitely train at least a few years of Judo and then transition into BJJ as I got into my mid-late 30's. As a full disclosure, Judo is rough on the body. It's another art where you have to choose your partners wisely -but- there are also plenty of older guys in Judo who have learned how to relax when being thrown, be choosy about their partners, and preserve their bodies as they continue to progress.

The reason why I would choose Judo is because, in a self-defense situation, Judo allows you to injure to the degree necessary to stop the fight. In an ego situation where you don't want to hurt someone but need to diffuse a physical struggle, you can set someone down and pin them, but Judo is an incredible art at taking someone out in a flash. Some of the high-amplitude throws would break someone's body and spirit in seconds. I shudder to think of what a judoka could do to someone if needed. It's also a great sport and a rich martial heritage with an interesting history and martial philosophy. It complements BJJ and someone trained in both is a dangerous person indeed in a self-defense situation. Not saying that you need Judo to be dangerous in BJJ, but that added ability to off-balance and throw in a heartbeat means that in a bad situation, you have the option of staying on your feet and putting the other person down, if the situation dictates the need. As I mentioned above, even if you only spend 5 years in Judo and then practice BJJ for the rest of your life, it will make you a complete martial artist and give you a lifetime of skills to work on.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and be safe. The journey in the martial arts is an incredible one. Lots of great people and tremendous personal growth along the way.

I vote for doing them all mate. I have a wrestling and boxing background from school. As well as trying various athletic endeavours during my life because I like being active.

Try them all out. You will really enjoy doing your stand up, doing your ground work and tying it all together in your MMA lessons.

Great conditioning, highly functional training.

I started out doing Muay Thai, added BJJ, did a bit of MMA, eventually stopped everything but bjj.

reasons:
1) i am not a self defence or whatever type person. I enjoy sports like badminton, tennis, soccer - judo, bjj, boxing, muay thai, mma to me are just another variant, albeit far more martial oriented.
2) sparring in MT/MMA involves the risk of getting hit in the head. Risk/reward for me is just not there, while to be fair, if u are at a good gym it is not going to be truly dangerous.
3) bjj is just the most interesting of the bunch. The ability to go hard without taking huge physical risk (ok fine I have injured myself in bjj countless times so take my words with pinch of salt) makes it a very satisfying sport.

so in summary, my advice is: go try all 3, your final preference will be personal.

as a Muay Thai practitioner, I will say: choose the classes with the best coach.
I remember the first time I tried Muay Thai - the coach was a juiced macho go-faster-you-lazy-a#@ typo of a guy. No stress on the technicalities and beauty of this sport. I burnt out after two months, more psychologically than physically.
I fought MT is not for me, but then I gave it a chance with another coach. He is the antithesis of the previous one. Under his supervision I've been practicing MT for 6 years now. I did 3 amateur fights which is a good result for my needs - before I lacked any coordination and flow of movement, I'm also a phlegmatic, slow-twitch, non-explosive person :) I think BJJ would be a better suit for me regarding both my physicality and personality.

What am I trying to prove? I think that good trainer-trainee relationship and you feeling well in a given community is far more important then the sport you choose.

Yeah, try all classes (and other school too) and pick the one with the instructor and students and culture and environment that you like best.

Yup, one thing I won't put up with is macho meat heads, even if they can kick my a#@. The place I have in mind seems to have a real nice atmosphere and its close by. I think I'm going to go BJJ for now and maybe some Judo at some point. If I like it, I won't ever stop doing it. So the sooner i start the sooner i can move up.

Bro, stick to all of them and do all of them the next years. Cut the running to once a week as recovery and go to the class as much as you can.

Keep strength training simple, first bodyweight stuff (pull ups push ups squats) then add kettlebell and then barbell lifts....

Agree with trying everything.. you wanna find something that is enjoyable and you can sustain long-term..

I personally enjoyed MMA the most, then Muay Thai/standup and BJJ last

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom