all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Mobility Routine suggestions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'll ask one final question regarding mobility - what is the 'ROOT' benefit of improved mobility? Yes, improved ROM, feel better, move better, etc, etc. But at its developmental core - since that is the basis for OS as I understand- why is improved mobility important for movement?

I'll ask one final question regarding mobility - what is the 'ROOT' benefit of improved mobility? Yes, improved ROM, feel better, move better, etc, etc. But at its developmental core - since that is the basis for OS as I understand- why is improved mobility important for movement?

Not sure exactly what your question is asking, whether by "ROOT" you mean the one essential property that is responsible for the benefits of mobility work (can it be narrowed down to one?), or if you are questioning the overall rationale proposed by OS for it's programming, other than a generic "you'll feel better". Interestingly, much of the rationale (from the book titled "Original Strength" - I haven't read any of the others) could be summarized, after editing out much of the romanticized discussion of returning to the idealized movement patterns of our youth, by your own description of the benefits of the TGU in your article on SF's blog. For those not familiar with the article, here is a link (the forgotten benefits of the turkish get-up - StrongFirst), and I copied the summarized list:
  1. Promotes cross lateralization (getting right brain to work with left side)
  2. Promotes upper body stability
  3. Promotes lower body stability
  4. Promotes reflexive stability of the trunk and extremities
  5. Ties the right arm to the left leg, and left arm to the rightleg
  6. Gets the upper extremities working reciprocally (legs too)
  7. Stimulates the vestibular system (1 of the 3 senses thatcontribute to balance)
  8. Stimulates the visual system (the second of 3 senses thatcontribute to balance)
  9. Stimulates the proprioception system (3rd of the 3 systemsthat contribute to balance)
  10. Promotes spatial awareness
  11. Develops a front/back weight shift
  12. Develops upper body strength, trunks strength, and hip strength
I do not recall a discussion of the visual system, spatial awareness or the weight shift specifically, but I can't say for sure they weren't presented as rationale as well. Cross lateralization, reflexive stability, the vestibular and proprioceptive systems were particularly stressed, if I recall correctly.

If this isn't what you were asking, of course, feel free to disregard.

@Bryant W - those are all really good points, but, yes I am looking for one essential property. The biggest benefit of any/all mobility comes down to one "Root" property. It's one of the keystones to any developmental based approach.

Since you referenced my TGU article, I will mention that that article didn't go over well in the OS community. My assumption is because the entire premise was to point out all the benefits (plus some) of crawling are accomplished in the TGU, so lets (the SF community) keep doing get ups. I've been told that there was an article written shortly after my TGU article and posted on the OS site rebutting quite a bit of what I pointed out.

So before this devolves into an "I'm right" sort of argument...

This has been a good thread with respectful debate, questions and answers. Well done by all.

My caveat - have a baseline for your movement
Obviously I recommend FMS as a repeatable baseline etc...

Rock, roll, stretch and move - have fun and make sure it feels good and doesn't cause pain

Although obviously not to the same degree as Brett, I too a firm believer in the FMS system and as mentioned am level II certified. As far as OS goes - I have found that it helps (sometimes significantly) the baselines measures of the FMS after a test-retest. This alone is a good enough reason for me to use it. If it improves scores and allows us to go accomplish further goals, that's awesome.

I don't think I would even be able to answer the question of "is there one essential property" of mobility drills. Why is improved mobility important for movement? I would have to say proprioceptive input...If we have limited active ROM (aka we can't move a joint through full range of motion), we are not giving the brain the best input. As Gray would say - "you can't change output without changing input" (paraphrased). If we have a mobility program that allows us this active ROM, then we can now proceed and get better motor control to go lift heavy s***.

One thing we all may be overlooking - any mobility routine is going to be a good warmup because its going to increase core body temperature and increase the synovial fluid through the joints. Those two things for me = a pretty good start to a workout and good warmup

Okay, so it took me all those questions to get the response I knew was out there- your comment on warm ups @wespom9.

Is your warm up addressing movement inefficiencies (as identified on the FMS) or just warming up your compensation strategy? If your correctives work, you don't have to do them forever (independent and self sustaining I believe are part of the FMS philosophy). If they don't, and all you are doing is getting your compensation strategy prepped, you need to do them daily. These aren't by definition correctives. Everything that everyone has pointed out about OS is that it is daily (or multiple times daily). Simple, yes. Makes you feel better, yes. But that's not sounding like its effective for fixing anything.

If you have identified your inefficiency, have chosen some sort of mobility routine that will help address it, and accomplish the increase of body temperature and synovial fluid, then I would go as far as saying the warmup is sufficient. If you don't have a mobility routine and accomplish those other two tasks in another format (walk/jog/dynamic stretching/whatever), I would say you are right, you may just be prepping your inefficiency. What constitutes a sound warmup is a tangent we could take up another 4 pages on.

As for doing it daily...we all have things we do daily from read the paper, drink our coffee (I've started grinding my own beans... seriously if anyone hasn't done this, buy a grinder and french press. Smell, taste, experience is that much better, plus there are so many bean varieties to try and the coffee just tastes so rich) to mentally and physically prepare us for our day. For some, this includes OS. Is there potential for a placebo effect? Absolutely, just like anything. It could accomplish absolutely nothing for somebody yet they feel better. Personally, since I started I see benefit in mental state when I do it upon waking, and am seeing benefit in my strength journey so I will continue to practice it.

I have very much enjoyed this discussion (no sarcasm), but I don't want to turn this into a back and forth argument on the benefit. Works for some, doesn't work for others, many viewpoints have been expressed.

Hey,

Another choice you have is Scott Sonnon's flows. There're lots of videos on youtube. It's short and effective. You can see below an example:

Kind regards,

Pet'

The OS DVD came today. It's short, sweet, and to the point. Very well produced. I still wonder how much this will help with things like tight hamstrings, but we'll see. Rolling around gets the kinks out.

I went to Barnes and Noble last night to check out Kelly Starrett's book. I passed most of the minor tests like shoulder and pressing mobility. Under his system, my problem area is "squat archetype #2". He evidently doesn't believe stretching works to increase the end-range of muscles and that tight hamstrings need a lot of smashing (rolling on a ball) and movement like leg swings to get restored.

Kelly's approach is really good. His smashing actually does more for flexibility than many stretches do. Tissue quality is neglected in almost every discipline discussed so far in this thread. It's really difficult to stretch or reset beef jerky.

I was very impressed when I first read Supple Leopard. To be quite honest, the first section of the book was the most enlightening. Love his system of "archetypes" and the positions that individuals should be able to get it. Very well thought out and presented and the ideas are sound. The mobility techniques are definitely good too as well, and helped me out with a few things in terms of my overhead movements and motor control, but I actually enjoyed the first bit the most.

Very good point on the tissue quality as well. There an old Boyle thing floating around where he demonstrates stretching a tight muscle by pulling a band together in a knot and when you pull you are just tightening the band - symbolic of you need to change the tissue quality before stretching

I confess to having no place for foam rollers in my life.

Stretching works when you know how to do it, and easy to argue that the right way to do it involves very little actual stretching but rather strength.

-S-

@Steve Freides, is it possible to describe the Flexible Steel approach without giving away too much? I think it's worth listening to anyone who can do the splits :D

This has been a great thread. It's raised my awareness of the different facets of mobility. Stretching, movement, tissue quality...

We teach you to use your strength to improve your flexibility. We teach you methods that will improve both your strength and your flexibility. We will make your stretching both safer and more effective.

-S-

Hey,

Concerning mobility and strength routine, has someone an opinion about "becoming a supple leopard" of K. Starrett ? Is it effective, ... ?

Is it a "good idea" to have a program like (and keeping one day totaly off):
Day A: strength or cardio
Day B: mobility

Thank you !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Pavel Macek, thank you - looks quite interesting, although watching some of the videos, it doesn't strike me as similar to OS, but I know little about OS and even less about DNS so I don't think my observations are worth much here.

-S-

@Steve Freides I am taking the Exercise course in one month so maybe I will know more at that time, but I can tell you that while DNS has 2-3 courses geared specifically to exercise and helping increase joint centration for the purpose of becoming faster/stronger/etc., the vast majority of their courses are for health practitioners such as physio's and chiro's. If anyone here is certified than please add/detract from my statements, but it is highly based on developmental kinesiology and serves to bring people out of pain. It is similar to OS in that the "positions" of the exercises are relative to certain points of development in a maturing child. It is thought that by regressing exercises back to the developmental position where the person in pain has no issues and then progressing them forward, combined with necessary treatment the outcome will be much better.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom