all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Mobility Routine suggestions

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Supple Leopard is a very good reference. There are a lot of really good points in there. I won't say that I agree 100% with all of the content, but it is very good - especially the part about self-care/maintenance.

His "smashing" approach is much deeper than foam rolling, in fact I can't recall a foam roll in any discussion in the text - but I don't have it completely memorized. Tissue quality has more of an affect on tissue length and overall movement than strength does, and I don't say that lightly. Strength fixes lots of things, but tissue quality isn't one of them. Tissue quality improves all physical capacities.

It may just be a point of semantics, but if anything OS is similar to DNS (DNS has been around a lot longer)

Also please keep in mind that the diagnosis and treatment of pain belongs in the hands of Dr., Chiros, PTs and health care professionals for whom it is within their scope of practice.
Diagnosis and treatment of pain is not in a personal trainers scope of practice.

@B.Hetzler I have read Supple Leopard some time ago, and it seems I will read it again. Thank you for the tip.

@Brett Jones, @B.Hetzler, and anyone else who might know...

How long do you think it typically takes to start improving tissue quality? Obviously this is relative to the individual, but is there a ballpark? In the book, Kelly recommends sitting on a chair whilst smashing the hammies (I really enjoyed using that phrase) to increase the leverage you get on them ("smash" them harder). I don't have his magic ball, but I do have a compact rumble roller, and I've been sitting on a chair and rolling/smashing each side for two minutes per his prescription for about a week now. It hurt like crazy the first couple nights, but it's been fine for the past few. Adductors are still tender as I'll get out when I hit them, lol.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 9.16.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 9.16.40 AM.png
    561.6 KB · Views: 8
It depends how you want to measure tissue quality. Tissue is unhealthy if you can apply pressure to it and it hurts (a flinch Response). Now before anyone says 'enough pressure can make any tissue hurt' keep it in perspective. If a lacrosse ball, foam roll, or barbell causes soft tissue pain that is unhealthy tissue.

If you are consistent (10-15min every day) you will notice a change within 7-10 days. If you keep doing what is causing the poor tissue quality (poor posture, poor movement, etc) it will take longer.

If you want actual days - Th collagen Turnover rate for skin is around 75 days, for muscle it's 45ish. What this means is every 45 days you essentially have new muscle tissue. It isn't quite that simple, but it allows you to take advantage of tissue remodeling and actually make tissue quality changes.

Thinking about it more, my thighs are the only area the smashing hurts. No other areas, not my calves, not my lats, etc, are tender. Just my thighs.

If your quads are tender, I'd also look into your Abs and anterior neck. Not saying you will find anything, but I would clear those 2 areas just to make sure.

For those that are familiar with the OS material:
What's the the OS Restoration about? How is it different from the other books?
I've read OS Reloaded and am definitely going to pick OS Performance as well.

For those that are familiar with the OS material:
What's the the OS Restoration about? How is it different from the other books?
I've read OS Reloaded and am definitely going to pick OS Performance as well.

Restoration covers the regressions for the main OS exercises. Dead bugs are a regression to crawling but that does not make them easy. It covers ways to regress the main movements and how to build up to the baseline ones that are in OS/OS Reloaded.

I've thought about purchasing them but so far have held off, for whatever reason. Maybe in the future.

Restoration covers the regressions for the main OS exercises. Dead bugs are a regression to crawling but that does not make them easy. It covers ways to regress the main movements and how to build up to the baseline ones that are in OS/OS Reloaded.

Thanks!
I do dead bugs as a warm up, my thinking was indeed that it would be a form of crawling, but I wouldn't have guessed it to be a regression :)

Okay, I'm going to throw out the "Stupid Question" warning as a preface -

Why would we need to regress crawling in someone over the age of 5?

One plug I will give to Supple Leopard: Though I haven't read every Gray Cook book (hey, a rhyme!) Kelly's book is the only thing
I've read that covers self maintenance of the foot below the ankle and I was able to clean up some nagging issues on my big toe
after just one treatment. Your mileage will vary, of course, but just one piece of gold like that justifies the entire cost of the book,
in my opinion.

Because if you were a child like me you went from rolling on the floor to walking, skipped crawling and walked around
with a dysfunctional core activation/firing sequence your entire adult life and are only now able to figure out why you
grew up as such an injury prone sports spaz.

Note: Sports Spaz is a trademarked term and may not be reproduced without the express written permission of my superiors.

(Bonus points for the first person to work Spetsnaz and Sports Spaz into the a coherent gregorian chant melody.)

Q: What do you call a person in the Soviet special forces tries to swing a kettlebell but throws it across the room instead?

A: Spetsnaz Sports Spaz.

Set that to the words of your favorite Gregorian Chant. I'm partial to the Dies Irae - same number of syllables as Spetsnaz Sports Spaz.

Dies Irae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a chant melody used in many later works of classical music.

How'm I doin'? :) It's wacky Friday.

-S-

@B.Hetzler, Do you mean, "Why would anyone over the age of 5 not be able to crawl and need a regression?" Or do you mean, "Why would anyone over the age of 5 need to crawl at all?"

If the former, a lot of people have difficulty crawling because of wrist and knee issues, but can do dead bugs. Even though I guess dead bugs fall into the crawling category within OS, I think of them as a separate drill that I do for different reasons -- but then, I CAN crawl and so don't need a regression.

Brandon, I've seen a number of your questions about OS on this thread, and here's my general response as a user of OS:

I think I have pretty good base of knowledge and experience of OS: I've attended a two day OS workshop, read the first OS book, and have been practicing a lot of the movements for a couple of years. I'm a user of OS because I've eperienced and observed benefits from it, and it is fun, it feels good while I am doing it, and I feel good generally when I do it regularly.

I think that Tim and Geoff sometimes oversell and overemphasize the theory behind it and the idea of emulating and recapitulating the development of movement skills in children. I don't necessarily buy it, and largely ignore it. To me, it's completely beside the point of why I use OS.

However, Tim and Geoff also emphasize their empirical experience, and present the system as representing a spirit of play, exploration and experimentation. This is how I choose to approach it. Not as therapy. Not through a lens of dysfunction and correction. Not as mobility or flexibility training. Not as warm up for other activities. I approach it as play -- something to do for its own sake because it is fun and feels good to do. I approach it as exploration of and experimentation with movement. I don't look at the categories and principles (changing levels, moving the head, contralateral movements, limbs crossing the centerline, etc) as restrictions or instructions, but as inspiration to explore. If you look at Tim's videos on the OS YouTube channel, he exudes this vibe of play and exploration. He's constantly coming up with different variations, with only the directive to "give this a try."

In many ways, I look at it as just an extension of other physical training that I do, but generally less structured and goal oriented (although there are some "performance" variations that can be loaded and progressed as more structured training), and mostly with little recovery demand.

My take on OS may be a somewhat individual interpretation, but when I read some of your comments and questions about it, my reaction is that the premise of the comment or question doesn't reflect my understanding or experience of OS.

Last edited:
I approach it as play -- something to do for its own sake because it is fun and feels good to do. I approach it as exploration of and experimentation with movement.

George Bernard Shaw:

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom