"mobility" theories

bluejeff

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello all, I'm looking for some good, and varied resources on "mobility" training. I use the quotation marks because that word means something different to everyone it seems. In particular I am referencing increasing active range of motion. I already know much of the basics of this, but would like to read others' input and experiences.

Some folks promote the time-tested, "stretch one muscle, strengthen the other method."

Others are not as much fans of stretching muscles to gain mobility. The reasoning being that the body is most "mobile" on its own when it can move itself into the desired position.

Thoughts? Ideas? Resources? Anecdotes?

silveraw

Level 6 Valued Member
you could take a look at Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurtz.
If you are familiar with Pavels books about it, you will see some similarities just in a different format and voice. I like it because he gives examples of how to build your own routines.

Bauer

Level 6 Valued Member
This channel has a lot of quality info:

He sometimes refers to Thomas Kurz, and Pavel (Relax into Stretch).

Original Strength and Flexible Steel would be good frameworks for a movement/mobility routine.

I also like the soft yoga style by Mike Taylor from Strala Yoga.

All of them have in common that they stress the importance of relaxed, deep breathing.

Steve Freides

Staff
Staff member
Senior Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Hello all, I'm looking for some good, and varied resources on "mobility" training. I use the quotation marks because that word means something different to everyone it seems. In particular I am referencing increasing active range of motion. I already know much of the basics of this, but would like to read others' input and experiences.

Some folks promote the time-tested, "stretch one muscle, strengthen the other method."

Others are not as much fans of stretching muscles to gain mobility. The reasoning being that the body is most "mobile" on its own when it can move itself into the desired position.

Thoughts? Ideas? Resources? Anecdotes?
I would attend the Flexible Steel certification.

-S-

Jim Lauerman

Level 6 Valued Member
Daily Original Strength resets for the last eight years has been the foundation for me. I shudder to think how messed up I’d be without it. I even became certified (Level 2 “Pro”) in it even though I am not a trainer. It was worth it to learn more about the neuro-physical connection.

I suspect Flexible Steel is excellent as well, I’m just not familiar with that system.

Top Bottom