all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed "mobility" theories

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I really like loaded exercise for most of my mobility needs. Just use appropriate load and try to do a longer range of motion on every rep. For example, for tight hamstrings, I do good mornings or stiff leg deadlifts.
DB Romanian deadlifts always make my back feel great after a few weeks. Nothing crazy heavy or high volume but just doing them regularly keeps my lower back very happy

One system I have had good results with is Dr. Andreo Spina’s FRC / Kinstretch system. The system introduces a contract-release -stretching protocol called PAILs (search Youtube), which is type of an overcoming isometric done in a stretching position. Kind of like Strongfirst-esque tension technique meets stretching. It really wakes up the nervous system and fires up the muscles around the joint that is being worked on. I have noticed positive improvements in mobility and skill technique with the following session done for a target joint:

1. Joint circles (or CARs as they are called in Dr. Spina’s system)
2. Light PAILs using a few different stretches that target the muscles and angles around the joint that give me trouble when doing joint circles (~30% of maximum tension)
3. More joint circles and free joint movement, starting off with simple isolated movements and working towards more complex movements
4. Couple of easy sets of a target skill / exercise

It is a time-consuming ordeal, but has improved both my gpp and sport-specific skill technique nicely, and the improvements seem to stick. To be honest it has worked so well I feel dirty for ”reverse-engineering” these bits of the system from Youtube and blogs, instead of paying for the proper knowledge…

Out of curiosity, would the two stretches at the end of Simple and Sinister be considered active or passive flexibility work?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom