all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Mobility work and Dr.McGill

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
In a Strong first podcast Dr.McGill states that mobility for mobility's sake is the kiss of death. Can anybody explain this in more detail?
For me mobilty means crawling and yoga on days I am doing not S&S or Q&D (especially if I feel tighter than normal). If these are done excessively, am I more likely to be injured?

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Not certain but I suspect he meant that mobility without bigger context of "within a base of strength and stability" is instability and a ticket to injury. I've known too many "hard core yogis" who have suffered that fate, blown knees, damaged cervical spines, etc

Not certain but I suspect he meant that mobility without bigger context of "within a base of strength and stability" is instability and a ticket to injury. I've known too many "hard core yogis" who have suffered that fate, blown knees, damaged cervical spines, etc
Interesting, did these Yogi's strength train?

Interesting, did these Yogi's strength train?
HAH! Not even. They considered yoga to be strength training!!!! All they did was spend long time daily hyperextending natural ROM limits of all major joints including intervertebral, in the belief that it would make them more "spiritual" and healthier.

HAH! Not even. They considered yoga to be strength training!!!! All they did was spend long time daily hyperextending natural ROM limits of all major joints including intervertebral, in the belief that it would make them more "spiritual" and healthier.
Thanks for sharing, I wonder if yoga would increase the likely hood of injury, even with a good strength program.

I assume McGill is talking in context of the spine and "core". Where the purpose of a developed "core" is stability, not mobility.

Yoga exactly like strength training in that if movements and held poses are done properly and in right context they will give benefit and if done incorrectly can do damage. Many good teachers out there and many really terrible ones.

In a Strong first podcast Dr.McHill states that mobility for mobility's sake is the kiss of death. Can anybody explain this in more detail?
For me mobilty means crawling and yoga on days I am doing not S&S or Q&D (especially if I feel tighter than normal). If these are done excessively, am I more likely to be injured
@njrick1, however you get there, be able to control your range of motion. That's what you need to know in a nutshell.

The best predictor of injury is the difference between passive and active flexibility. Crawling should be perfectly fine - you are moving into positions under your own control. Yoga depends on many things - if your flavor and your teacher are doing good for you, stick with what you're doing.

-S-

@njrick1, however you get there, be able to control your range of motion. That's what you need to know in a nutshell.

The best predictor of injury is the difference between passive and active flexibility. Crawling should be perfectly fine - you are moving into positions under your own control. Yoga depends on many things - if your flavor and your teacher are doing good for you, stick with what you're doing.

-S-
Great advice thank you! To be more transparent my knees have gotten a slight ache latley, the doctor said nothing is wrong so I took a week off of q and d to focus on crawling and yoga only
After the week the ache is about the same so I'm curious if I should increase crawling and yoga or maybe decrease.

@njrick1, some simple advice for you - if you've recently changed something and began to experience pain, try returning to your earlier practice to see if the pain goes away. It's important to identify the cause. The other side of this hold equally true - if you've been doing more of the same thing, you may have an overuse injury, or simply have run into your personal threshold for a particular movement or activity.

If Q&D is bothering your knees, what movements are you using for that?

-S-

@Steve Freides Returning to my earlier practice before Q & D is my plan (my previous training was S&S with crawling and I achieve sinister with zero aches). For Q & D I am using swings (24kg and unbanded pushups). My hypothesis is that any imperfections in my swing are amplified by the intensity of each rep. If switching back to my earlier practice does not resolve the mild ache, I might revert to only taking walks for a week. Would love to know your thoughts.

Thank you!

In a Strong first podcast Dr.McGill states that mobility for mobility's sake is the kiss of death. Can anybody explain this in more detail?
For me mobilty means crawling and yoga on days I am doing not S&S or Q&D (especially if I feel tighter than normal). If these are done excessively, am I more likely to be injured?

Thank you all!
I’ll tell you what really helps me is magnesium chloride baths. It gets the calcium out of the tissues and tells the nerves to relax instead of contract . The benefits of the bath is transdermal penetration from the magnesium ions. It’s like mobility work but cheating lol.

I’ll tell you what really helps me is magnesium chloride baths. It gets the calcium out of the tissues and tells the nerves to relax instead of contract . The benefits of the bath is transdermal penetration from the magnesium ions. It’s like mobility work but cheating lol.
All's fair.... More benefits than the relaxation because probably most people are a bit magnesium deficient (unless eating mucho greens daily) and even those whose g.i. tracts rebel at taking in oral magnesium supplements are usually just fine with the baths. You can also get mg-chloride spray...

If you're training with strongfirst principals you don't have to worry about the kiss of death, ever.

I'd say get ups alone are enough to avoid what he's talking about.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom