all posts post new thread

Barbell Moderate to High Speed Eccentric Only Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kenny Croxdale

Level 7 Valued Member
Short-term high- vs. low-velocity isokinetic lengthening training results in greater hypertrophy of the elbow flexors in young men
https://www.physiology.org/doi/pdf/10.1152/japplphysiol.01027.2004

...higher velocity (3.66 rad/s) isokinetic lengthening contractions are associated with greater muscular hypertrophy than slower (0.35 rad/s) velocity lengthening contractions.

We observed, despite a >10-fold lower mean torque-time integral (Fig. 6), a greater degree of hypertrophy (Fig. 3) with a training protocol that involved only high velocity lengthening contractions.

Fiber type-specific changes after eccentric training
https://www.patreon.com/posts/fiber-type-after-28196633
Not every type of eccentric training causes preferential increases in type II muscle fiber area, and some types actually cause type I muscle fiber area to increase more!

#2. Preferential type I muscle fiber hypertrophy

...when slow eccentric phases are used during normal strength training, this causes increased type I muscle fiber size, ...

Slowing down an eccentric does not enhancement or recruitment so it is not "eccentric overload". It only increases time under tension.

Research shows the slow negatives do not elicit the most effective response.

Slow Eccentrics For Growth?
Slow eccentrics for growth? - Dan Ogborn

Dan Osborne found that with eccentrics/negatives is...

1) "...greater following high rather than slow velocity eccentric actions (29)."

2) "...as far as strength was concerned, fast eccentric actions were superior."

3) "...growth of type IIa and IIx fibres was greater with fast eccentric actions."

Negatives: You're Doing Them Wrong
https://www.t-nation.com/training/ne...ing-them-wrong

As per Chris Thibaudeau...

1) ..."going slower will not improve the stimulatory affect of the eccentric. ...it won't recruit and stimulate more fast-twitch fibers."

2) "The Essential Points: Focus on heavy and controlled, not on moderate weights lowered slowly."

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I've often wondered if this isn't due to the turnaround force at the bottom of the lift being so much greater at higher velocities. You'd think a faster eccentric is using far less motor recruitment right up to the last instant.

Eg if you did a slow eccentric for the first 1/2 or 2/3 of the ROM and then fast eccentric (maybe even active drive) into the bottom and turn around might you get the (possibly) better Type 1 and Type 2 response.

I've read these studies as well, the Ogborn one is worth reading twice. Anecdotally, slow eccentrics seem to cause more muscle stress, seem to cause a greater training stimulus even at moderate load, but the super slow strategy and other methods that rely on slow tempo don't fare well in controlled studies.

the super slow strategy and other methods that rely on slow tempo don't fare well in controlled studies.

At a time in my life when I could only make the gym once per week I tried Super Slow for about six months and found it for hypertrophy as least as good as any other form of once-per-week workout.

To be honest I was quite impressed. I built some solid muscle while only training 20 minutes or so weekly. I primarily used the BBS protocol that has a beyond failure element.

I don't recommend Super Slow because (a) it is brutally hard including the eccentric which gets more agonising the better you get at it and (b) I've got better results training twice weekly sets x reps. But if you can only make it to the gym once-per-week it's definitely worth a try

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom