all posts post new thread

Barbell Modification of Faleev's 80/20

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcelotine

Level 4 Valued Member
I really like this program due to its minimalism - only one lift a day. However, I don't see why I can't simply add 5lbs every work out as opposed to doing a light BP and light SQ day, and then add 10 lbs the following week -as the program calls for. is there particularly good reason for doing light days and making 10lbs jumps instead of progressing with every work out with 5 lbs jumps?

Would it be a bad idea to just add 5lbs and progress with each workout (similar to say Starting Strength) instead of doing the light BP and SQ days? What would be the pros and cons of this modification?

I understand the importance of doing light days and back off days when you are an advanced lifter and it is more difficult to add weight, but it seems to me that that a beginner shouldn't have issue with the above modification.

I don't remember the program. I reckon it's better to have the lighter workouts.

Progress is going to be 5 kg/week in any case. With no lighter workouts it's a greater risk of overload. After 20+ years of hitting my head to the karelian pine, I'll take the lighter workouts gladly.

But it's hard to train light, I agree.

Having tried Starting Strength, I didn't like squatting in the upper echelons of my ability every session. Step loading or having a light day would assist in more reliably recovering, in my opinion.

Obviously the programs are different as you don't squat every time in Faleev, but I wouldn't sign up for prolonged linear progression again.

is there particularly good reason for doing light days and making 10lbs jumps instead of progressing with every work out with 5 lbs jumps?
Pavel has discussed the value of larger jumps in weight for strength training in quite a few places.

Perhaps others can supply some links and/or book mentions. Here's one:

I'll also add, based on my own experience, that this is very good advice. In my deadlift training, I try to avoid using anything less than 5 kg plates, which means 22 lb. jumps, all weights in kg that end in a zero. Sometimes I give in and use weights that end in a 5, meaning I'm using 2.5 kg plates or 11 lb. jumps, but I always require myself to supply an explanation for such displays of weakness. :)

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom