all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Modifying Simple Strength for Difficult Times

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Benjamin Renaud

Level 8 Valued Member

Hello everyone, I'm looking at trying Fabio Zonin's program mentioned above but I want to use pull-ups as my pulling exercice and can't do 8-10 RM. I'm at 4-5 RM right now. I don't want to use a band, or switch to rows, since I want to work on my pull-ups.

Would halving the number of reps in the ladders still work? Doing (1,2,1) or (1,3,1) or (1,2,3) instead of the ones mentioned in the article.

Thanks for any input anyone might have on this.

Hello everyone, I'm looking at trying Fabio Zonin's program mentioned above but I want to use pull-ups as my pulling exercice and can't do 8-10 RM. I'm at 4-5 RM right now. I don't want to use a band, or switch to rows, since I want to work on my pull-ups.

Would halving the number of reps in the ladders still work? Doing (1,2,1) or (1,3,1) or (1,2,3) instead of the ones mentioned in the article.

Thanks for any input anyone might have on this.
Yes, that will work.

Yes, that will work.
Thanks, I figured it would respect the essence of the program.

Any thoughts on how to go about it if I can't make the volume? The plan calls for 30 reps, with my half rep volume, at week 6. I've never done more than 15 reps of pull-ups in a training session. Most programs don't have a "in case you don't progress as written" part, but I've never had a progress that matched a programs plan yet.

Thanks, I figured it would respect the essence of the program.

Any thoughts on how to go about it if I can't make the volume? The plan calls for 30 reps, with my half rep volume, at week 6. I've never done more than 15 reps of pull-ups in a training session. Most programs don't have a "in case you don't progress as written" part, but I've never had a progress that matched a programs plan yet.
He won't mind if you modify it.
Week 1 pull ups 2,2,2,2. rest as needed. If that goes well add a set next week etc.

He won't mind if you modify it.
Week 1 pull ups 2,2,2,2. rest as needed. If that goes well add a set next week etc.
I was wondering more along the lines of, when I hit week 5 or 6 if I can't make the required volume, do I repeat the week or back off one week and go from there?

I was wondering more along the lines of, when I hit week 5 or 6 if I can't make the required volume, do I repeat the week or back off one week and go from there?
Hypothetical week 5 and 6, 8 sets of 2 and 9 sets of 2. If you have the time to rest as needed good chance you will finish. If not, keep the volume the same and repeat. You could also back off 50 % of volume every 2-3 weeks ( all lifts ) for a week. This will extend the protocol, not a bad thing unless you have a hard target.

Week 8 without deload, 22 reps, in between your 15 and 30 from post #3.

Hypothetical week 5 and 6, 8 sets of 2 and 9 sets of 2. If you have the time to rest as needed good chance you will finish. If not, keep the volume the same and repeat.
That sounds doable, 16 and 18 reps should easily be within my ability.
You could also back off 50 % of volume every 2-3 weeks ( all lifts ) for a week
That sounds like a good plan just to get more recovery in.
repeat it when you fail, and if you fail a second time, back off/deload and work back up.
This is also a good option.

Thank you both. I should be good to establish a nice plan with this.

One quick idea: Maybe determine a RM for variations like eccentrics or concentrics only (if you choose the variations from pt. 2).

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom