all posts post new thread

Kettlebell More Kettlebell Muscle

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
I was all set to start a 6 week Barbell programme and supplement with S and S and life has got in the way. I've been back at S and S which is great and I've been hitting the simple standard. I've also dusted down my MKM by GN and had a run at the Wolf with a set of 28kg and today Ballistic Beatdown with a set of 24kg. That was brutal and after 3 sets I'm feeling it already. There's a lifetime if programming in that book. Has anyoneone tried any of the other routines in MKM??

I think The Wolf would be very effective as part of a weight-loss program. Front Squats get my heart rate up faster than just about any other KB move.

I did a full 12 weeks of The Olympic last summer as my first double KB program, and was hooked.

All I will say is check the guidelines in MKBM - If it says a pair you can Clean and Press for 10 it means 10 smooth reps. Not struggling reps. Day 1 is always pretty manageable if you go with a heavier pair but by week 3 you will be dying if you went too heavy.

Mike, you are very right in my opinion. Just like in the original KBM which calls for a pair of bells that can be "comfortably" pressed for ten reps. I initially learned the hard way....ten comfortable reps of military presses means doing ten reps smoothly, easily and having something in the tank when done. It certainly doesn't really mean a ten RM. This becomes quite evident when a complex calls for pressing for five reps after doing other movements that tax the shoulders before the presses! Add in the increasing volume and density and it is a recipe for disaster if you go too heavy!

Mark, yes. It was from the dragondoor forum a few years ago, I don't remember who posted it but it was something to the effect of choose a weight that you can do ten good double presses with even hung over. After doing the program I understood it for sure!

I'm just about to finish 12 weeks of KB, and it's nice to hear people advising caution on the weight selected. I had previously completed Simple and TTC with 24K, and I went with only double 16K for the first pass of KM, mainly due to worries about the double snatch.
At times I worried it was too light, but as volume mounted and rest decreased, I guess it was the right call. I'll have to check out MKB in the future.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom