all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Morning recharge routine

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

What is a good morning recharge routine? With my long hours and commute some mornings it's all I can do to just drag my a#@ out of bed and have a coffee at 330am. Some mornings are better and I can get a s&s session in. I'm looking for a routine that's not to strenuous but will get the blood pumping and be "athletic" enough that I can say I still trained, stretch and prime the body for another day. I was thinking some pushups, squats, and down dog up dog pumps and stretch.

Qigong is what clears the cobwebs from my head. Yoga is good too, but it’s more involved, and the morning stiffness can make it tougher. A few rounds of sun salutations can be brilliant. Probably why they have the name.

@Pavel Macek just released his Great Gama Protocol program. The program is loaded mobility from the Chinese and Indian traditions with the goal of building health and gpp. What makes it especially relevant for this thread is that it is built around a morning recharge routine and included programming on how to get up to your number of sets which is based on age.

Thank you Tim. That's what I'm doing, every single morning.

What is a good morning recharge routine? With my long hours and commute some mornings it's all I can do to just drag my a#@ out of bed and have a coffee at 330am. Some mornings are better and I can get a s&s session in. I'm looking for a routine that's not to strenuous but will get the blood pumping and be "athletic" enough that I can say I still trained, stretch and prime the body for another day. I was thinking some pushups, squats, and down dog up dog pumps and stretch.

I think GGP is exactly it - you will see.

@Pavel Macek That looks really good, something I’ve been pondering for some time. I practice yoga as Patanjali intends, for internal benefits, and appreciate the physical benefits that come along. Ditto for qigong. But a lot of asana practice actually comes more from the Indo-Persian wrestling tradition which I know little about.

Any way to learn more about it before spending money? This might be a summer project for me. Bonus points if you can give tips on how to incorporate KB or mace work.

Thanks

@Pavel Macek That looks really good, something I’ve been pondering for some time. I practice yoga as Patanjali intends, for internal benefits, and appreciate the physical benefits that come along. Ditto for qigong. But a lot of asana practice actually comes more from the Indo-Persian wrestling tradition which I know little about.

Any way to learn more about it before spending money? This might be a summer project for me. Bonus points if you can give tips on how to incorporate KB or mace work.

Thanks

Yoga as we know it is actually quote recent development, as all modern research suggest.

"Learn more before spending money" - follow my Facebook or Instagram, I have already posted quite a lot of info and sample videos, and will continue to do so.

"How to incorporate kettlebell or mace work" - GPP has 3 options how to incorporate it into your practice, plus closed Facebook group where I will answer all questions.

Here is what I do every morning:
  • wake up at 0400hours
  • wash my face with cold water and brush teeth, than
  • sit in seiza and: pray, meditate for 10 mikes, check control pause, perform box breathing, next
  • hammer down the following:
    • S&S
    • Goblet Squats
    • Breathing behind the shield
    • Vacuum Stomach
    • OS Restes,
  • and after all of the above is done, I take cold shower.
That is how I start every day.
Do not seek easy path, just grab the bell and reacharge with S&S.

Sorry to steal the thread, one quick question for @HUNTER1313 and @mikhael : how can you two wake up that early? I struggle at 5-6 AM to wake up? Any tips?
It did not build it at one night, not even a week. It took time for me to get use to wake up at such early hours (actually, today I woke up at 0357). If you struggle with gettig up so early, but you think it will help you achieve most of the day's tasks, and the earliest hour you ever got up is 0500, just set the alarm 5 mikes earlier. After a few days set it another 5 mikes earlier, and another, and another, until you will wake up at a time is sufficient. The key to success is to be committed to your new habit.

Sorry to steal the thread, one quick question for @HUNTER1313 and @mikhael : how can you two wake up that early? I struggle at 5-6 AM to wake up? Any tips?
I don't have any choice. I have an hour and a half plus commute one way (and that's a good day if everything runs smooth and perfect). I don't get home till eight thirty. Eat and try to be in bed around nine thirty ten. As you can see, not much time to effectively train on work days

I've been doing recharge workouts almost every morning for years. There are two methods that I've used to allow myself some freedom within restraint so as to avoid chaos.

What I'm doing now:
Perform 3-5 rounds of kettlebell complexes. Between complexes as a rest break I'll perform a mobility drill for hips, shoulders or spine.
- The complexes tend to be light weight performed for 6-12 reps per exercise. I've eliminated the movements that require coaching like swings and snatches to focus on the movements like squat, hinge, lunge, press, pull and march. I developed these while teaching classes and I would have a constant stream of new people coming in. By using these I discovered that my students learned new movements faster and gained strength, balance and mobility right away. I've started doing them every day in my own practice. If you're interested you can see some of them on my Instagram @odysseygriff .

What I did every morning for 2+ years:
Set a timer for 5:00. Perform two 5 minutes time blocks, rest as needed and move on with your day. The timer is just there to provide structure and let you know when it's time to move on, rarely should you test yourself by trying to "beat the clock". Frequently I'd perform fewer than 10 reps in a 5 minute time block. Again you can check my IG for examples, you'll have to scroll back a while.

Block 1: push ups
- I used a lose definition of push up. Any time I had weight on my hands i'd consider that a push up. Crawling, hardstanding, L-sit all counted as well as the "normal" variations that you'd think of.
- Perform as many push ups as you want, any variation you want. Some days it felt good to aim for hundreds and others I'd enjoy 1 handed push ups or other high tension variations. Let your body guide you

Block 2: Legs
- Any squat, lunge, deadlift, step up etc counts. Use your imagination. Again, some days you'll feel like doing a lot and some days you'll want to go "heavy" with challenging variations like pistols.

A couple of notes on the second option:
* This worked really well for me. It allowed me to maintain my 1/2 BW press easily despite only performing pressing occasionally (I've just gotten bored of pressing).
* the main problem that I see with the time block option is that it has so much freedom built into it that people had a hard time following it. I've had several clients do this at home and most of them needed to start with prescribed variety
* I personally loved this routine because it woke my mind up first thing in the morning. When I was done I'd feel ready for anything because it would get the creative juices flowing.

I do not envy your commute sir. Good luck

I don't have any choice. I have an hour and a half plus commute one way (and that's a good day if everything runs smooth and perfect). I don't get home till eight thirty. Eat and try to be in bed around nine thirty ten. As you can see, not much time to effectively train on work days
I can also recommend qigong as @vegpedlr did.

I hate to say this but... your best morning recharge routine is a good night's sleep before hand.

Just like you can't 'out exercise' a bad diet - I don't think you can 'out-exercise / out-move' cumulative sleep deprivation.

I did shift work for years and it sucked the life out of me.

Prioritising more sleep, the best nutrition I could afford and being super-organised is what made the biggest positive impact in my circumstances.

Power Push ups, pick your own reps and sets and rest time.
Get Ups, same as above, could add presses to your Get Ups for variation.
String some McGill crunches, stir the pot, dead bugs, and McGill push ups together.
Quick & the Dead format. 5;30a this morning I substituted jumping split squats ten a side ( in place of 10 two handed swings) alternating with 10 knuckle power push ups, EMOM instead of on the :90, 10 sets each.
Ten tactical push ups alternating with 10 swiss ball hamstring curls or bottoms up or goblet squats, 10 sets each, EMOM
The above are a few of my Keep The Ball In The Air workouts, all of which I follow up with a 14 qt. bucket of ice water over the head.

Warm up I used this am took 14 mins, The Standing Series, 33 different mobility drills from Jon Engum's Flexible Steel book.

I hate to say this but... your best morning recharge routine is a good night's sleep before hand.

Just like you can't 'out exercise' a bad diet - I don't think you can 'out-exercise / out-move' cumulative sleep deprivation.

I did shift work for years and it sucked the life out of me.

Prioritising more sleep, the best nutrition I could afford and being super-organised is what made the biggest positive impact in my circumstances.
My schedule is shift work too. Two weeks days and two weeks nights

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom