all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Morning Training Energy Levels

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

IMayAgainKnowChris

Level 5 Valued Member
I’ve posted about switching to the AM S and S before but here’s a concise question...
I pretty much have to train in the AM now due to work/family. I love getting up at 4am (I know...) but my energy level seems to be like 75% for my 24k swings. If I swing the 16 it feels the same as in the PM. Even the 2HS with the 24 seems fine but my 1HS just feels like it’s lacking power.
TGU feels relatively the same with the 24.
Does it just take time to adapt to the AM routine?

Should I go back to the 2HS with the 24 or the 1HS with the 16? For my swings, my power feels about the same whether the sets take me 10 minutes or 15 minutes. Maybe I should take even longer rests?

I belive that yes it need time to adopt. Start your day from getting some air into the room where you train, get you blood flow by performing good warm-up.

I’ve posted about switching to the AM S and S before but here’s a concise question...
I pretty much have to train in the AM now due to work/family. I love getting up at 4am (I know...) but my energy level seems to be like 75% for my 24k swings. If I swing the 16 it feels the same as in the PM. Even the 2HS with the 24 seems fine but my 1HS just feels like it’s lacking power.
TGU feels relatively the same with the 24.
Does it just take time to adapt to the AM routine?

Should I go back to the 2HS with the 24 or the 1HS with the 16? For my swings, my power feels about the same whether the sets take me 10 minutes or 15 minutes. Maybe I should take even longer rests?

There was a related topic on the forum just a week ago.

Personally, after switching from late afternoons to early morning (over a year now) I never adapted fully. It’s fine, but my power will be always better some time later in the day.

If you’d spend extra 30min before training being active, ideally going for a walk, you’d not feel the difference. But who does that when already waking up early and having a family.

@IMayAgainKnowChris

Your body knows that first thing in the early morning isn't the most optimal time to add shearing and compressive forces to joints and connective tissues. In my experience, safely demonstrating max power through exercise will be ideal after being awake and moving for around 6 hours. This is especially evident in anyone I have trained over the age of 40.

@IMayAgainKnowChris

Your body knows that first thing in the early morning isn't the most optimal time to add shearing and compressive forces to joints and connective tissues. In my experience, safely demonstrating max power through exercise will be ideal after being awake and moving for around 6 hours. This is especially evident in anyone I have trained over the age of 40.
You think there’s any workarounds? Or do you think that early you will always sort of “hit a wall”?

There was a related topic on the forum just a week ago.

Personally, after switching from late afternoons to early morning (over a year now) I never adapted fully. It’s fine, but my power will be always better some time later in the day.

If you’d spend extra 30min before training being active, ideally going for a walk, you’d not feel the difference. But who does that when already waking up early and having a family.
I posted on that last thread a little. Was wondering more about an adaptation period like you were saying. Not so worried about injury with the stretches and warmup routing now (knock on wood).

You’re saying you think a walk WOULD help? It sounds awful but if it helps... WTH. I’m already up at 4 anyhow. Usually start training at 430 on the nose and usually have more than enough time to shower and get ready for work beforehand so I could squeeze in a walk. I think another member suggested the walk. Gonna have to try it.

Hello,

I also am an early raiser and trainee.

If you get your hours of sleep, then this is just a matter of time. Your body will adapt fast.

A warm-up may also be worthy. I found that a set of pull up gets the job done for me.

Every evening, I already have a my gear set up next to the bed. So when I get up, I am doing pull ups only 30s after.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@IMayAgainKnowChris Yes , it could take time to adjust to new clock, circadian rhythm and all that. I'm guessing your GU's feel normal because they follow 100 swings. Try your first 50 1H's with a 16, then switch to 24. Or first 50 2H with 24, then go 1H. Reality of 4a training for most folk is that it is not 9a, so your initial sets could very well end up, on a consistent basis, being a warm up/ training hybrid.

I posted on that last thread a little. Was wondering more about an adaptation period like you were saying. Not so worried about injury with the stretches and warmup routing now (knock on wood).

You’re saying you think a walk WOULD help? It sounds awful but if it helps... WTH. I’m already up at 4 anyhow. Usually start training at 430 on the nose and usually have more than enough time to shower and get ready for work beforehand so I could squeeze in a walk. I think another member suggested the walk. Gonna have to try it.
For a while I was doing S&S at 0330 give or take. I often ride at that time (or earlier) in the summer to beat the heat. Some people are going to adapt to a schedule such as this and some might not. And even the ones that do (such as us) may be ultimately leaving something on the table.

One thing that I usually do first thing is Tai-Chi which helps me limber up somewhat.

There are really several things in play here. Energy levels (the title of this thread) and as @natewhite39 pointed out ... all of the stuff related to the musculoskeletal system.

A few years ago, I switched to early morning workouts. One major thing for me after about 1/2 cup of coffee as well as 5-10 minutes of OS resets before the S&S warm up and I felt good to go. At some point in my progress, I was able to get rid of the bridges and halos. For reference, I have 37 years old.

I pretty much have to train in the AM now due to work/family. I love getting up at 4am (I know...) but my energy level seems to be like 75%

Facetious

I am not quite sure if, "I love getting up at 4 am", is something you like or you are just being facetious.

Whether you do well with morning or afternoon training is dependent on...

Circadian Rhythm

There is an ebb and flow with your body temperature that's the same as night and day.

Circadian Rhythm is the primary factor that determines if are a Night Owl or Early Bird.

Optimal Performance

You preform best when you body temperature is at its highest range and are less efficient when your body temperature is at it lowest.

Thus, training when your body temperature at it highest is optimal.

Warm Shower

Taking a warm shower prior to training will assist in getting your body temperature up.

Coffee

Drinking a warm cup of coffee tends to increase heart rate, body temperature, increasing your energy level, etc.

Caffeine

Research show that ingesting between 3 - 6 mg of caffeine per kilo of body weight is optimal for a healthy individual.

High Octane Training 2 | T Nation

Here is an something interesting the East German did.

To increase performance via body temperature, the East Germans infected their athletes with a "de-natured viruses to generate a slight fever immediately prior to a world record attempt!"

The downside, as you might expect, was the timing. "Later into the cold, the adverse effects outweigh the benefits..."

Personal Experience

I am a morning person. I get up around 3 am.

I do some of my paper work for my job and read information and post information on line.

I have a cup of coffee and take some caffeine tablets.

At 4 am, I start my Strength and Power Training; I perform better in the morning than later in the day.

This take us back to your Circadian Rhythm; this is when you are going to perform your best.

Last edited:
Two more items from me:

I usually feel more fresh and ready in the morning on consecutive days, I almost don’t need any warmups other than the goblet squat and one series of halos. First day after two days off always has a slow start. Also if I walk the evening before, it’s a faster adaptation in the morning.

Second - even assuming you are not your 100% on your morning sessions, you’d still progress in the same rate. Just test yourself on your best time of day to see your best results.

Two more items from me:

I usually feel more fresh and ready in the morning on consecutive days, I almost don’t need any warmups other than the goblet squat and one series of halos. First day after two days off always has a slow start. Also if I walk the evening before, it’s a faster adaptation in the morning.

Second - even assuming you are not your 100% on your morning sessions, you’d still progress in the same rate. Just test yourself on your best time of day to see your best results.
I feel like I’d crush it testing later in the day.

I prefer to train in the morning and feel more energetic in the morning. Best is at about 1/3 pm but not do able. In the morning the cns isnt fully awake yet so it makes sense that you dont feel as strong.

Focus for me is better in the morning

FWIW, I believe you can adapt with time.

One additional suggestion based on my personal experience: I start with the Super Joints routine while I drink a glass of water, then move into the S&S warmup, then a set of 10 swings with a light KB.

The extra 10-15 minutes gets me ready physically and mentally

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom