all posts post new thread

Barbell Morning weight Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Patrik Novák

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi everybody

I really wonder if there is anyone here who trains with weight in the early morning?

my main point is that as I am a member of the army and in addition the owner of the family farm I have my hands full during the day and in the evening I no longer feel the focus on hard strength training but on the other hand I read many articles about how early training is bad because the CNS needs 4-5 hours before starting in the morning...

My current regime IS train 3-5x times a week with weight (Squats,Presses,Deadlifths,Pull ups) something like EAsy Strenght or Starting Strenght from Mark Rippetoe and 2x times a week Strong Endurance Swings or snatches with heawier Bell 40kg+

I need gain Strenght and Also weight for my current position in Team.

Thanks appreciate
Best

Patrick

Hi everybody

I really wonder if there is anyone here who trains with weight in the early morning?

my main point is that as I am a member of the army and in addition the owner of the family farm I have my hands full during the day and in the evening I no longer feel the focus on hard strength training but on the other hand I read many articles about how early training is bad because the CNS needs 4-5 hours before starting in the morning...

My current regime IS train 3-5x times a week with weight (Squats,Presses,Deadlifths,Pull ups) something like EAsy Strenght or Starting Strenght from Mark Rippetoe and 2x times a week Strong Endurance Swings or snatches with heawier Bell 40kg+

Thanks appreciate
Best

Patrick
Can you give yourself an hour after you wake up and then do some mobility/warm up work prior to training? Many people on this forum train in the early am.

I’ve been doin swings and get ups every morning for about a moth or two now. Definitely takes some getting used to. Definitely have less power than in the afternoon but I’m adjusting slowly. The payoff is getting to train when I don’t have to worry about the baby/wife.
My big take aways... sleep and diet need to be on point for this to work for me. Warmups seem to be very beneficial. Mentally you can charge yourself up by realizing everyone else on your block is still in bed and you’re up crushing it. But. Sleep sleep sleep.
Do you know Jocko Willink? He was a seal. His videos or Instagram or whatever will light a fire under you about training early.

I’ve been doin swings and get ups every morning for about a moth or two now. Definitely takes some getting used to. Definitely have less power than in the afternoon but I’m adjusting slowly. The payoff is getting to train when I don’t have to worry about the baby/wife.
My big take aways... sleep and diet need to be on point for this to work for me. Warmups seem to be very beneficial. Mentally you can charge yourself up by realizing everyone else on your block is still in bed and you’re up crushing it. But. Sleep sleep sleep.
Do you know Jocko Willink? He was a seal. His videos or Instagram or whatever will light a fire under you about training early.
Yo Chris, you might want to edit your spelling of, Is a retired SEAL, before Jocko decides to get some and look you up.

Yeah its good point ...
Jocko Willink is Beast for me but he IS definetely on juices but his advices like me much espacially about procrastination and life ethics

I think that Brett Jones Also train early in morning...

My point is that when I train early in morning Iam less powerfull but Iam feel stronger mentally throught a all day ...

But what you think about progresion on linear periodization and train early in the morning

My point is that when I train early in morning Iam less powerfull but Iam feel stronger mentally throught a all day ...

But what you think about progresion on linear periodization and train early in the morning
Over time you will get better, maybe not to the same extent as training when you want and not having other responsibilities, but as you've noted the extra hours of mental horsepower is a nice benefit to early training.

I agree about the mental benefit all day. I would like to think over time the physical strength will catch up and my body will adapt.

I think a cup of coffee and 10 minutes of jogging/biking would get you ready for your morning training session.

i believe that you should be very careful, not to do too much volume. Your daily routine seems tiring and stressful, so you should rely on intensity to get stronger, and keep the volume low. Only a few basic exercises, not too many sets, and high percentages of 1rm.

if I were you, I would do a 4day/week routine, something like this:

Monday, lower body volume
-Squat 3x5 (75-80% of Training Max)
-Deadlift: 3x5 (75-80% TM)
-Kettlebell swings/snatches

Tuesday, upper body volume
-Press 3x5 (75-80% TM)
-Pull-ups 3x max reps

Wendesday
REST

Thursday, lower body intensity
-Squat: 1x5 (80-85% TM)
-Deadlift: 1x5 (80-85% TM)

Friday, upper body intensity
-Press: 1x5 (80-85% TM)
-Pull-ups 3x max reps

Saturday
REST

Sunday
REST

Start with a training max which allows you to do easily the 3x5 @75-80%, and the 1x5 @80-85%. The first 2-3 weeks should be easy. Then just apply progressive overload. Once you are able to do 3x5 and 1x5, add to the TM 2kg/5lbs for the next week. When you are unable for 2 consecutive weeks to do the 3x5 or the 1x5, the deload 10% of the weight and start over. Simple and effective.

Hi everybody

Thanks appreciate
Best

Patrick
Hey Patrick - what kind of answer are you looking for? From reading some of your other posts in this thread, are you just seeing if other people strength train first thing in the morning?

I wake up at 0430, drink 20-30oz of water and a cup of coffee, and start training at the latest by 0530. I've been doing that more or less for 3 years now.

I love training in the afternoon or midmorning. Maybe there's good reasons to not train this early... but I wouldn't be concerned about that honestly. A couple thoughts:
1. Training early starts my day "right." I'm more focused and consistent on diet, sleep, etc. I'm less likely to eat junk, go to bed early.
2. Training early prevents work or family from getting in the way. Although my kids sometimes like to wake up before I'm finished, I am more consistent and successful at completing my training.
3. Training early prevents me from making an excuse later and saying I'm too tired I'll do it tomorrow.

This is why working on early works for me. Maybe it would be more "ideal" if I could schedule my work and family so I could train at 1000 or 1500. (I can't.)

When I barbell trained and did this, I had no issues progressing using a self-designed HLM program; now that I'm using kettlebells, I am still able to progress. You could find people stronger than me, but I'm stronger than I was so I'm OK with that.

Your training will work if you work. If you show up consistently, you'll make progress.

Well, maybe someone who knows more about our physiology will correct me, but I've always thought that if you're training, you don't need to optimize everything. Like those studies about stretching limiting max strength. Yes, don't stretch for 5 minutes then go straight for a lifetime PR lift at a meet. But gentle stretching and mobility to warm up for training? Absolutely.

I'd think it would be the same for training in the early morning. Yes, it takes longer to warm up and it limits your output, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Something that forces you to not go all out in training can save you many injuries.

As for practical advice, cold showers. Works for me at least :)

I have gotten up at 3am to workout at 4am before my 12 hour work shift. I usually take that hour to drink either coffee or pre workout supplement and gather my thoughts. Usually by 3:15 I’ve finished my drink and around 3:45 I begin my warm up. I’ve never noticed any decrease in lifting abilities. In fact, my adherence to program was better due to no interruptions from kids or phone calls (no one awake to bother me). This biggest issue for me was waking up at that time initially, however, after a few weeks my body was used to being up that early and I would wake up without an alarm and ready to train. I have heard a persons CNS takes 3-8 hours to fully awaken/activate. I don’t know, I train when I can.

Thomas.

I have gotten up at 3am to workout at 4am before my 12 hour work shift. I usually take that hour to drink either coffee or pre workout supplement and gather my thoughts. Usually by 3:15 I’ve finished my drink and around 3:45 I begin my warm up. I’ve never noticed any decrease in lifting abilities. In fact, my adherence to program was better due to no interruptions from kids or phone calls (no one awake to bother me). This biggest issue for me was waking up at that time initially, however, after a few weeks my body was used to being up that early and I would wake up without an alarm and ready to train. I have heard a persons CNS takes 3-8 hours to fully awaken/activate. I don’t know, I train when I can.

Thomas.
Amen, brother.

I think a cup of coffee and 10 minutes of jogging/biking would get you ready for your morning training session.

i believe that you should be very careful, not to do too much volume. Your daily routine seems tiring and stressful, so you should rely on intensity to get stronger, and keep the volume low. Only a few basic exercises, not too many sets, and high percentages of 1rm.

if I were you, I would do a 4day/week routine, something like this:

Monday, lower body volume
-Squat 3x5 (75-80% of Training Max)
-Deadlift: 3x5 (75-80% TM)

Tuesday, upper body volume
-Press 3x5 (75-80% TM)
-Pull-ups 3x max reps

Wendesday
REST

Thursday, lower body intensity
-Squat: 1x5 (80-85% TM)
-Deadlift: 1x5 (80-85% TM)

Friday, upper body intensity
-Press: 1x5 (80-85% TM)
-Pull-ups 3x max reps

Saturday
REST

Sunday
REST

Start with a training max which allows you to do easily the 3x5 @75-80%, and the 1x5 @80-85%. The first 2-3 weeks should be easy. Then just apply progressive overload. Once you are able to do 3x5 and 1x5, add to the TM 2kg/5lbs for the next week. When you are unable for 2 consecutive weeks to do the 3x5 or the 1x5, the deload 10% of the weight and start over. Simple and effective.

Thanks its look great
You Are right espacially about too much volume and stresfull lifestyle

Well, maybe someone who knows more about our physiology will correct me, but I've always thought that if you're training, you don't need to optimize everything. Like those studies about stretching limiting max strength. Yes, don't stretch for 5 minutes then go straight for a lifetime PR lift at a meet. But gentle stretching and mobility to warm up for training? Absolutely.

I'd think it would be the same for training in the early morning. Yes, it takes longer to warm up and it limits your output, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Something that forces you to not go all out in training can save you many injuries.

As for practical advice, cold showers. Works for me at least :)
Yeah good point ...
Life is nice and SMALL things Really dont matters

Thomas.

Its sound crazy :) you Are badass ;)
My cup down

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom