all posts post new thread

Nutrition Most filling foods for a calorie-restricted diet?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harry Westgate

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I understand that this is likely going to vary between individuals, but I'm just curious, what do you folks believe to be the most filling/satiating foods if you're trying to restrict calorie intake? I.e. if you were only allowing yourself 1500-2000 calories per day (I picked that figure completely randomly btw), what would you eat to fill those calories without still being starving once you had eaten your allowance?

Not a direct answer to your question, but try reading about Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb Diet. He recommends legumes, particularly lentils, as filling, nutritious food to take the place in some ways of bread, rice, and grains. I've been doing this for a few weeks and like the approach so far. Having a small bowl of lentil soup as my lunch most days, and it's very satisfying.

-S-

Not a direct answer to your question, but try reading about Tim Ferriss' Slow Carb Diet. He recommends legumes, particularly lentils, as filling, nutritious food to take the place in some ways of bread, rice, and grains. I've been doing this for a few weeks and like the approach so far. Having a small bowl of lentil soup as my lunch most days, and it's very satisfying.

-S-

+1 to this.

I'm not completely on the Slow Carb Diet - but I've started using beans in my chicken and veggie stir fry meals (the majority of what I eat. It really reduces my desire to have rice or bread with my meals.

+1 to this.

I'm not completely on the Slow Carb Diet - but I've started using beans in my chicken and veggie stir fry meals (the majority of what I eat. It really reduces my desire to have rice or bread with my meals.

I found a vegetable, legume, and protein in each meal to be incredibly simple and effective for weight loss. After meeting my target weight I use the Warrior Diet to maintain.

- Steamed broccoli with garlic salt / pepper; sprinkled with parmesan cheese
- Roasted vegetables (use avocado oil and sea salt)
- Black beans with added sautéed onion and topped with avocado slices
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- 2 egg + 6 egg white omelette w/ roasted vegetables (no cheese)
- Ground turkey seasoned with sea salt / pepper / sautéed garlic & onion; roasted vegetables; topped with 2 eggs over medium

Dan John's One Pan Stew -
*Sauté stew meat (grass fed bison or beef) with onion / sea salt / pepper
*Add 2 packages of frozen vegetables
*Add 1 can french onion soup + 1 can of water
*Add dried herbs if desired such as sage, rosemary, thyme, basil
*Simmer 15 minutes

In one word: potatoes. In three words: lots of potatoes. Luckily, potatoes are also healthy and tasty.

I prefer to cook mine in the oven. I cut washed ones and season then with olive oil and spices. Then in to the oven they go. Takes about 30 minutes as a whole.

An example of seasoning could be salt, dried rosemary and cayenne pepper. Add lemon juice or garlic to taste.

you could look at satiety index for foods 'fullness factor'

Fullness Factor™ – NutritionData.com

when I used to compete in bodybuilding and towards the end of prep when your skins latex thin and your on reasonably low calories to get that grainy look I found the following great to have in my diet
*leafy greens and green veg
*onions
*pickled vegetable - even better than the veg in its normal state for satiety
*lean meats
* frozen natural yoghurt - low fat if really cutting the calories. found the creamy, frozen and slightly sweet to really hit the spot but still nutrient dense.

I found the biggest issue was sensory specific satiety - i.e being full on meat and veg (salty, bitter, umama tastes) but would still crave sweet things - as such sugar free jelly and ftozen yoghurt were my go to

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I ask this question mainly as I'm needing to cut some weight relatively quickly in order to box soon (don't be alarmed though - health first; I'll pull out if it becomes too difficult).

I shall try to eat more legumes. I'm a fan of lentils, I've just never made them a staple. Having said that, I'm not surprised that they'd be useful for dropping weight/staving off hunger now I look at the nutrition... I'd have to eat about four cans just to get about 800kcal worth! :O... They're also cheap; handy!

@the hansenator thanks for that link, interestingly though, a spoonful of natural nut butter definitely wouldn't work for me; it'd open my floodgates as I've become accustomed to having nuts as the main part of my overeating phase as a Warrior Dieter. I shall have to try olive oil though!

That T-Nation article has a good suggestion. A spoonful of Psyllium followed by a glass of water will definitely have you feeling full for a while. It will clear you out as well, just be careful of taking too much otherwise it will have the reverse affect and back you up lol.

I've been tinkering a bit recently.....smoothies. I'm very much on the fence about whether or not they are better or worse versus the traditional chewing and swallowing food method. My version of a banana smoothie is bite banana chew banana swallow some of the banana, have a drink, chew some more of the banana etc. Still, open minded as I am I figured I'd try making one with my wife's new purchase of a smoothie maker. So massive bag of kale, one banana, juice of a lemon......absolutely stuffed. I have been turned, right into it now. I'm sure the novelty will wear off and I'll be back to my banana and double cream with loads of nuts but, you know, might be worth considering.....swap the banana for an apple maybe......low in energy, high in nutrition and very filling.....surprisingly.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom