all posts post new thread

Motivation - Msktime

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Msktime

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi all, wanted to introduce myself to the forum!

I’m 32/M/5’6/70.6KG -155 lbs, in likely the weakest shape I've been in my adult life! I used to lift heavily throughout my twenties, and dedicated lots and lots of time to martial arts (Muy Thai) in my early twenties. My PR’s from consistently lifting weights a few years ago were 225lb bench and 335lb deadlift (though I’m now nowhere close to these numbers). I work a very demanding job where late nights and weekend work is par for the course (biglaw lawyer), and also just welcomed a baby daughter into my life - unfortunately, I've let health and fitness take a back-seat for a while. I've found some time recently while on parental leave to contemplate life and my workouts, and I'm ready to jump back in and hopefully stay motivated by documenting my goals and progress. Time, efficiency, and high-ROI workouts are key for me to remain on track.

I have a 20kg and 16kg (both of which I’ve owned for about 5 yrs) and just ordered Pavel’s S&S book – should be arriving this coming weekend. Kettlebells will be my main tool for exercise.

My goals are to workout consistently when I can during the week and generally build back up my strength and endurance. Just as a measure of progress, I’d like to be able to build up to 80 continuous swings with my 20kg KB. Would also be nice to get to 20 OHPs with my 20kg in one continuous set. Arbitrary goals, but something that I can't do now, but I believe I can attain with hard work.

Any motivating stories from super busy people in demanding desk-based professions are highly appreciated!

I look forward to tracking my progress here and interacting with you all!

Welcome to the forum

just welcomed a baby daughter into my life

Congratulations! ... and, unfortunately, this may run counter to your immediate goals! I just know that when my kids were first born, I wasn't getting enough solid rest to support a demanding job (even if only mentally demanding) and a solid training schedule. I would just suggest, don't plan for nice, long, unbroken training sessions. Instead, plan for training "snacks". Get in 15-20 minutes when you can, and be happy you get them. Of course, your mileage may vary.

It appears that your goals are strength-endurance oriented. Nothing wrong with that, of course. I'll just say, one mistake I made in my thirties was to decide that, since I wasn't competing anymore, I didn't need absolute strength anymore. Of course, it's tough to get in to a gym with a young baby (and with an ongoing pandemic)... but don't completely take your eye off absolute strength. I believe that, trained correctly, it can definitely be part of long-term health & longevity.

Thank you very much, WWHD! Amen on the solid rest.. thankfully, I was able to take some time off for parental leave, so I still have a few weeks to get into a good routine before the craziness comes back (though a bit crazy right now with the baby, though she does sleep quite a lot during the day!)

Thanks for your tip re the strength goals. I suppose I will keep working out with my 20 KG (though not focusing solely on the S&S program, due to time constraints) until I can do the "simple" standard with it, and then purchase a 32kg (these seem to be difficult to find online right now, due to COVID I assume) and then work to the achieving the standard with that weight. I think these goals should keep me busy for a bit.

9.3.2020 WO:

Warm-up
:
Hip stretches.

WO:

20kg:

10x2 2H
10x4 LH/RH alternate

16g:
10x2 LH/RH alternate
10x2 2H

TGUP x 10

Total workout time: ~28 min

Notes: I've been playing around with some long KB workouts this week prior to this posts, so still a bit winded from those as of today. Hopefully can get the whole swing workout completed with the 20kg soon, and then will work to LH/RH alternate for the whole workout. Currently, my biceps give up, forcing me to rely on 2H swing.

9.4.2020:

WO:

20kg:

10 - 2H
10x4 - LH/RH alternate

16g:
10x3 2H
10x1 LH/RH alternate

TGUP x 10

Notes: Still working through soreness from the prior week. Left hamstring felt way tighter than right hamstring today.

Goal Update: I've really enjoyed the S&S-type workout and decided to try to hit the simple standard with the 20kg KB, and then after buy and move towards the real standard with a 32kb!

9.4.2020:

WO:

20kg:

10 - 2H
10x4 - LH/RH alternate

16g:
10x3 2H
10x1 LH/RH alternate

TGUP x 10

Notes: Still working through soreness from the prior week. Left hamstring felt way tighter than right hamstring today.

Goal Update: I've really enjoyed the S&S-type workout and decided to try to hit the simple standard with the 20kg KB, and then after buy and move towards the real standard with a 32kb!
Big congrats on the baby daughter! Good to see you back on the horse-so to speak. We've all fallen off a "few" times.

9.5.2020:

WO:

16KGg:

10 - 1H alternate swings
TGUP x 10

Noticed today really that my left side / arm is much weaker than my right - I feel like my bicep and left hamstring gets tired/tense must easier than my right. I may incorporate left only side swings for a workout or two. 16KG feels light, but going to do a few more workouts at this weight only throughout next week to build up my technique before moving up to my 20KG.

9.7.2020:

WO:

16KGg:

10x10 - all LH swings
TGUP x 10

Notes: Its incredibly hot here in California and I had to skip a workout yesterday (I think we registered at 110F during the day, with no A/C) and not much sleep between the heat and the baby. I did do all my swings LH side today (since I felt like my left side is weak) but overall not feeling that great today and feel something a bit off in my midback. May take another day off tomorrow - will see!

9.10.2020:

Got a session with a StrongFirst trainer here in Silicon Valley to review my form and make sure I'm all set with no issues. We worked with the 16kg and 20kg on form. Didn't do the whole S&S workout, but did enough reps slowly and methodically that I'm pretty beat today. Good workout and looking forward to keep working out (now with more confidence that I'm doing things with OK form)!

9.11.2020:

Yesterday's session with the SF trainer made me feel confident that I'm doing alright, so today I undertook, and successfully completed, the whole S&S workout with a 20KG kb. I don't think I'll be touching the 16kg anymore at all. My biggest sticking point right now feels to be my grip - towards the end of each set, I almost feel the kettlebell ready to slip out of my hand mid-set. This gives me some stress as I'm working out in my apartment. Hopefully as I continue working at this weight for a few weeks, that will go away, and I can purchase and move up to the 24 or 28kg. Happy Friday!

WO:

20KGg:

10x10 - 1H swings
TGUP x 10

today I undertook, and successfully completed, the whole S&S workout with a 20KG kb. I don't think I'll be touching the 16kg anymore at all.

Awesome! I'll just say, never feel any shame in grabbing the lighter bell when the mood strikes you. Maybe it never will, who knows. But pride is often the enemy of progress.

9.12.2020 - WO:

20KGg:

10x10 - 1H swings
TGUP x 10

9.13.2020 - WO:

20KGg:
10x10 - 1H swings
TGUP x 10
40 2H swings to wrap up.

Looking forward to a good week ahead and hopefully some of the smoke in the bay area clears up soon!

Quote Reply

9.14.2020 - WO:

20KGg:

10x10 - 1H swings
TGUP x 10
10x2 - pushpress each side

Had to simultaneously do a bunch of errands so completed the work out in pieces over an hour.

Feel like my left elbow and left knee are a bit "clicky" or strained, so may ramp down over the next few days to avoid any injuries.

Cheers!

9.15.2020 - WO:

20KGg:
10x9
- 2H swings (really focusing on explosiveness here)
40 2H swings
40 2H swings (my grip was shot from the last set, so I tried to use weightlifting wraps for this set, but due to the small amount of real estate on my KB, I wasn't able to use them properly and felt my grip just as tired).

170 swings total today! - all in all I feel fantastic after this swing-only workout (as I mentioned above, I felt a bit of strain in my elbow and knee, so taking a break from 1H swings and TGU for a bit).

9.16.2020 - WO:

20KGg:

10x10 - 1H
TGUP x 10

Felt better today with respect to the elbow/knee issues, but I generally feel like my left side is way weaker on swings.

I took a flip through the S&S book and Pavel actually mentioned specifically NOT doing sessions focusing on swings for one side only - rather, we would focus on the same 50/50 1H swing approach, and the weaker side should catch-up over time. Its a bit funny that I discovered this now, because looking back @ my log on 9.7.2020, I did only LH swings to improve my left side for one workout... live and learn.

I also read in S&S that every few days should be a 2H swing day. I haven't done that, but will start doing it now - maybe tomorrow or the following workout - depends how I feel.

Cheers!

9.17.2020 - WO:

20KGg:
Goblet Squat -

5x3

Swings
10x10 - 1H

TGUP

9.18.2020 - WO:

20KGg:
Goblet Squat -

5x3

Swings
10x1 - 1H
10x9 - 2H

TGUP

Today's workout felt easy-peasy, though I feel like still need to do many many more TGUs to iron out technique.

Quote Reply

9.19.2020 - WO:

20KGg:
Goblet Squat -

5x3
Swings
10x10 - 1H
TGUP

9.20.2020 - WO:

20KGg:
Swings

10x10 LH/2H alternating.
Goblet Squat -
5x3
TGUP
Swings
1x45

Had to interrupt and break up my TGUs into multiple sets throughout the morning to do errands around the house. I didn't feel as gassed as usual after my workout, so put in the 45 reps of swings at the end. Grip felt good and I feel like I had more in the tank but don't see a reason to kill myself.

I also just picked up a 28KG KB while it was on stock and it feels freaking heavy! I contemplated getting the 24kg as the "next step up", as laid out in S&S, but figured that since S&S calls for an 8kg increase, and I am working with a 20kg currently, I may as well purchase the next big step up to 28kg. Hopefully once I get comfortable with this one, the move to 32kg for simple will feel a bit easier. Anyway, I'm currently totally surprised by how heavy it feels - I can't OHP it at all and barely carried it up the stairs to my apartment, but I can't wait to start incorporating a set or two of 2H swings in my workouts in the coming weeks.

I've also been "rucking" with my baby! Went on a 2 hour walk the other day - whew - what a great mid-back workout!

9.21.2020 - WO:

REST day today.

9.22.2020 - WO:

Goblet Squat
5x3 - 20KG

Swings
Sets 1,2,3,4,9,10 - 1H, 20KG
Sets 5,6,7,8 - 2H, 28KG

TGUP
10 - 20KG

2H swings with the 28KG felt great, but 1 arm swings/TGUs are currently unfathomable to me!

9.23.2020 - WO

Goblet Squat

5x3 - 20KG

Swings
Sets 1,2,3,4, 5, 6 - 1H, 20KG
Sets 7,8,9,0 - 2H, 28KG

TGUP
10 - 20KG

9.24.2020 - WO:

Goblet Squat

5x3 - 20KG

Swings
Sets 1,2 - 1H, 20KG
Sets 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 - 2H, 28KG

TGUP
10 - 20KG

Swings
Later in the day, 45 swings with 20KG.

Last edited:
9.25.2020 - WO:

Goblet Squat - 20KG
5x3 - 20KG

TGUP - 20KG
4 sets - (did two continuous getups non stop for a "set", so 8 getups total)

Swings - 20KG
80x1 (2H)
(Hit my goal, yay!.. new goal is 100 continuous swings)

Strict OHP - 20KG
5x4 (2 each side)

9.26.2020 - WO:

20KG for everything.

Swings - 20KG
10x10 (1H)

TGU - 20KG
10x1

More Swings - 20KG
50x1 (2H)

Unfortunately my paternity leave is ending and I'm going back to work on Monday, so trying some new things/added volume over this weekend before I jump back into the fire!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom