all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Motivation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
haha, thats pretty good, personally I find motivation to be short lived and unreliable, it's like a burst of energy that quickly fades.
instead, it's better to rely on determination, purpose, and habit formation to work towards a goal in a sustainable way, there's no way a normal person can stay motivated for months on end, at least from my experience, it's usually the things we do without even noticing that get us the furthest (like taking a cold shower every day to the point it's like nothing).
habits and consistency will always trump motivation in my opinion.
any thoughts?

haha, thats pretty good, personally I find motivation to be short lived and unreliable, it's like a burst of energy that quickly fades.
instead, it's better to rely on determination, purpose, and habit formation to work towards a goal in a sustainable way, there's no way a normal person can stay motivated for months on end, at least from my experience, it's usually the things we do without even noticing that get us the furthest (like taking a cold shower every day to the point it's like nothing).
habits and consistency will always trump motivation in my opinion.
any thoughts?

Yes, the point of the quote was that motivation is typically sold and centered around excitement, enthusiasm and energy, when in truth, anything worth doing that results in growth involves discomfort and passing through various levels of suffering.

My current training and diet came from a dark place. I had been very fit before but years of drug addiction and a sedentary life left me wrecked. When I got clean I gained 50lbs of fat (I was usually around 155-165lbs). Then after my daughter was born I just couldn’t lie to myself anymore. I was a lazy loser and I didn’t HAVE TO be. I had the tools. I had the ability to make time for training and dial in a diet.
“The pain of doing it is less than the pain of not doing it,” hits very close to home.

Hello,

To me, motivation has to come from "the inside". I found this way more powerful that extrinsic motivation

When things get tough (physical, moral, mental, etc...), we have to be clearly able to answer "why do I keep going and why will I not quit ?". This answer has to come immediately, without lying to ourselves.

Afterwards, everything become far easier: how do I deal with the situation, when do I act, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, the point of the quote was that motivation is typically sold and centered around excitement, enthusiasm and energy, when in truth, anything worth doing that results in growth involves discomfort and passing through various levels of suffering.

To me lifting weights is a great deal of fun. Just love it. Wouldn't really do it otherwise, I believe. I think I've made some progress as well.

Motivation, to stimulate towards action. They say the energy is always present, but you must initiate, take action.
Too many times to mention, maybe not feeling tip top, but I know that after the session I will feel great. I will put my arms behind my back and start my neck circles. Pretty soon after, ready to go. The pic in post #1 with the bell on the shield logo is motivating, and btw, whoever designed the SF logo, very cool, solid, antifragile.

Last edited:
I'm listening to an all hands call with HR now speaking about diversity. Since I think, all people are equal, I'm motivated to turn the volume down and workout.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom