all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I noted, not so much for sport climbing, but for things like rucking (for the approach to the climb) a certain 'spring in my step' under load.

Noted. I could see it transferring to a hard bouldering too.

What's got me psyched on SS, QD, AA, right now is their minimalist nature. Lets me chop wood, carry water and still spend 90% of time and recovery on climbing. Not that I'm doing anything but sitting on my couch at the moment.

Speaking of climbing, how have yall adapted SF principles to pushing grades? Things like:

Waving
Intensity, Volume, Style knobs
Rest cycles
Route selection
Peaking
Park Bench/Bus Bench

Last edited:
Understood.

Most of my outdoor pursuits are more the alpinist versus sport climber variety. So for me anything that helps with hiking up hill or agility on rougher terrain is helpful.

I used to follow Rob Shaul's Mountain Athlete program for much of 2013-2014.

Sorry... double KB Jerk... (as a tool to enhance sport climbing)

Actually for any sport climbing training (or trad for that matter) I would (and do) get as specific as possible.

Not that I sport climb much.

When I was just climbing, I felt weak and detrained. There were too many gaps in the chain I developed.

I feel like climbing needs climbing and mountaineering needs cycling and grinds. Climbing gyms and crags are much more accessible for a climber but other mountain athletes, I feel, are often training for a trip somewhere and cycling makes the necessary leg training volume possible due to the lower impact. I don't think I would supplement a rock gym with strength training but I would supplement the cycling with heavy grinds over ballistics.

@Bro Mo
Spot on! I have trained for some pretty big mountaineering and alpine objectives (+20,000') by doing a lot of cycling. (And rucking) This was at a time when I was living nowhere near mountains to train in.

Bear in mind however that alpine (as opposed to mountaineering) could likely also require a significant amount of actual climbing strength and technique. Routes that have a significant amount of steep ice and hard rock.

Ayo hol up, you guys are finding meaningful carryover from cycling to hiking weight uphill? What kind of weekly volume are you looking at? Intensity breakdown? Road vs dirt?

I've never noticed much, myself, though I've never really tried using the bike as a serious training modality for foot-borne activities either.

Ayo hol up, you guys are finding meaningful carryover from cycling to hiking weight uphill? What kind of weekly volume are you looking at? Intensity breakdown? Road vs dirt?

I've never noticed much, myself, though I've never really tried using the bike as a serious training modality for foot-borne activities either.
Yes I have; utilizing both road cycling and MTB. When I was training for big alpine climbs, it wasn't uncommon for me to be doing several hundred km/week on the road (mostly LED Z1-Z2) and at times up to 50km MTB. (at a higher intensity) A lot would depend on conditions...

But... I was also incorporating running and rucking. At the end of the day if you want to get efficient at schlepping a pack uphill, you have to do just that...

How about us MTB folk? Some of us go uphill. A lot. Last summer at the Cacade Creampuff I had to climb for 41/2 hrs before getting to the single track. Not all of us are DH guys riding with 12” of travel. I know from experience that strength work has been invaluable for the MTB. Hundreds of hours of MAF work with much of it on the road was not enough.

Unfortunately here in the Gorge everything is shut down. Mt Hood has no access, the forests, trails, parks. Everything. Sigh.

Too bad about the closures. Down here there are no trail closures.
But for sure MTB'ing belongs here because of the same demands... strength and endurance...

Just listening to Scott Johnston and Steve House... to quote (maybe paraphrase) Scott... "there is no better strength training for the uphill athlete than hill sprints"

Yeah, the interminable PNW winter was finally easing up, we’ve even had some beautiful sunny days. Totally looking forward to exploring some of the trail networks of new home like Post Canyon up in Hood River. Nope. I’m fully expecting most, if not all the races I had in mind will be cancelled, so no real pressure to “train” but I would love to just get out and ride. It’s been so long . . .

Hill sprints are available. The road is fairly steep. I’ve been experimenting with various “dry land” training for MTB, but I can’t judge effectiveness without getting on some single track.

I live in smack dab in the middle of the prairies in Canada. No mountains, no sea for miles and hours of driving. I think two of the most peaceful places to be are the top of a mountain and in the ocean. I've never done anything close to a true mountain hike, but it's a bucket list item for sure. I'll be watching this thread dreaming of when I can do a climb again one day!

I live in smack dab in the middle of the prairies in Canada. No mountains, no sea for miles and hours of driving. I think two of the most peaceful places to be are the top of a mountain and in the ocean. I've never done anything close to a true mountain hike, but it's a bucket list item for sure. I'll be watching this thread dreaming of when I can do a climb again one day!
Manitoba right? I grew up in Alberta in the flat lands, but the mountains were a lot closer...

@offwidth yep, Winnipeg. Long drive to the mountains for me! For a buddy's bachelor party a few years ago we did the overnight to Banff...13 hours. That was tough (never mind adding all the drinks when we got there!)

@offwidth yep, Winnipeg. Long drive to the mountains for me! For a buddy's bachelor party a few years ago we did the overnight to Banff...13 hours. That was tough (never mind adding all the drinks when we got there!)
There is rock climbing not 'too far' away at Gooseneck Rocks. (Kenora)

Back
Top Bottom