all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Here's an anecdote. I hit the Simple Standard after a few years on the couch, no climbing. Did a couple weeks at the Leap, did a Dolt run, and did not have a physical issue doing 4 days on the Nose. A super fun first run up El Cap. Simple Standard is legit GPP.

I've done ROP, but find mace work better transfer to the angles we get in climbing than kb pressing, especially once you start flowing.

Currently running Q&D for mitochondrial development, and planning on bouncing between Q&D, S&S, and A+A snatches seasonally. Gunning for Sinister. Rucking on some days off.

Finally, doing Steve Bechtal's (is he on here? he should be) 3/5/7 hangboard ladders on variety days with a twist: I do it as a suitcase walk with a Tension Block hangboard.
How Zone 2 mitochondrial development different is from Q&D driven adaptations?

My understanding is that Q&D aims to develop mitochondria in fast-twitch fibers, while traditional Zone 2 training (see Training for the Uphill Athlete (TFTUA)) develops mitochondria in the slow twitch fibers. Per my understanding of TFTUA, the slow twitch mitochondrion act as a vacuum for the waste products produced by the fast twitch fibers. I would venture to guess that having well developed mitochondria in both fast twitch and slow twitch fibers would be best for all-around performance, where the fast twitch mitochondria assist in endurance sports, while the slow twitch mitochondria assist in power sports.

My understanding is that Q&D aims to develop mitochondria in fast-twitch fibers, while traditional Zone 2 training (see Training for the Uphill Athlete (TFTUA)) develops mitochondria in the slow twitch fibers. Per my understanding of TFTUA, the slow twitch mitochondrion act as a vacuum for the waste products produced by the fast twitch fibers. I would venture to guess that having well developed mitochondria in both fast twitch and slow twitch fibers would be best for all-around performance, where the fast twitch mitochondria assist in endurance sports, while the slow twitch mitochondria assist in power sports.
There is also mention of - not sure if it's in Q&D or at Strong Endurance - that some kinds of exercise improve the mitochondria you have while other kinds of exercise foster the creation of more mitrochondria. Again, if memory serves, Q&D is about the former and longer sessions are about the latter.

-S-

There is also mention of - not sure if it's in Q&D or at Strong Endurance - that some kinds of exercise improve the mitochondria you have while other kinds of exercise foster the creation of more mitrochondria. Again, if memory serves, Q&D is about the former and longer sessions are about the latter.

-S-
Thanks a lot for both answers.

All this information and discussions were very helpful for me.

Just for the records. Since I have discovered the importance and returns of consistency and focus from Strong First materials, courses and forum that, I won’t change anything for my 2023 goals and plans.

I am in no hurry to start more advanced training programs. I will milk my beginner gains happily by focusing on fundamentals and enjoy the consistency and improvements and peace of mind that come with consistency.

I am not at a stage of my fitness journey that I need to worry about my mitochondrial health. But great information to know for future program selections!

-S-
Q+D is biased toward mitochondrial biogenisis, A+A is biased toward improved mitochondrial respiration (as per Pavel's response to my question in the comments to the "Best Ever" article), and S&S lies somewhere between the two (as per somewhere Pavel wrote that :)).

Q+D is biased toward mitochondrial biogenisis, A+A is biased toward improved mitochondrial respiration (as per Pavel's response to my question in the comments to the "Best Ever" article), and S&S lies somewhere between the two (as per somewhere Pavel wrote that :)).

-S-

Ive got a trip coming up in may with a bunch of friends to walk up scafell pike, its not the hardest walk but since doing Snowdonia ive let my fitness slip a little.

Just been training calisthenics mostly with no cardio other than a long walk on weekends.

So my plan is to get back to kettlebells as ive lost some overhead strength id like to get back. They also get the HR up more.

Add step ups.

Add a weighted hill repeat ruck, up and down a few times building on longer overall.

Make sure to get my 10k steps a day.

So my plan...
Crawling, Lateral band walks and light SLDL for warmups

Monday 20-40mins iron cardio

Tuesday Mobility

Wednesday 20-40mins weighted step ups

Thursday Mobility

Friday 20-40mins iron cardio

Saturday long ruck/hill ruck

Sunday Mobility

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Ive got a trip coming up in may with a bunch of friends to walk up scafell pike, its not the hardest walk but since doing Snowdonia ive let my fitness slip a little.

Just been training calisthenics mostly with no cardio other than a long walk on weekends.

So my plan is to get back to kettlebells as ive lost some overhead strength id like to get back. They also get the HR up more.

Add step ups.

Add a weighted hill repeat ruck, up and down a few times building on longer overall.

So my plan...

Tuesday Mobility

Thursday Mobility

Sunday Mobility

What do you guys think?
Sounds good. I'd add some long walks in while wearing your hiking boots throughout the week as well.
Or you could just do it in flip flops and jeans like one bloke I once saw... :)
Edit: remember to nasal breath to moderate your pace.

Add step ups.

So my plan...

Tuesday Mobility

Thursday Mobility

Sunday Mobility

What do you guys think?
Hey Gary… which route are you guys taking?

This is a 2014 article on Mountain Athlete when Men's Fitness UK went to Jackson, WY to tackle Rob Shaul's programming. By this point I had mostly been training the program for a year.

Well my friend has been organising it so ive not really looked into it yet but he said its from wasdale?

Possibly this one…​

Scafell Pike via the Wasdale Route​

Distance: 4.2km Ascent: 910 m. Time: Approx. 3 hours

The Wasdale route is the most popular route and is the usual three peaks route to the peak.

The starting point for Scafell Pike when taking the Wasdale route is the Wasdale National Trust Car Park. This is the ideal location to start climbing Scafell Pike. The car park is next to a campsite with a hot food/drinks trailer, information booth and toilets.

The Wasdale route has a very steep start, and a few rest stops might be needed when climbing Scafell Pike. Even though it’s a tourist option, this route is pretty rough and becomes indistinct halfway up. The final ascent could also be tricky in most. Rocky and stony, the terrain up Scafell is challenging, and in particular, the Wasdale route is a steep one

Possibly this one…​

Scafell Pike via the Wasdale Route​

Distance: 4.2km Ascent: 910 m. Time: Approx. 3 hours

The Wasdale route is the most popular route and is the usual three peaks route to the peak.

The starting point for Scafell Pike when taking the Wasdale route is the Wasdale National Trust Car Park. This is the ideal location to start climbing Scafell Pike. The car park is next to a campsite with a hot food/drinks trailer, information booth and toilets.

The Wasdale route has a very steep start, and a few rest stops might be needed when climbing Scafell Pike. Even though it’s a tourist option, this route is pretty rough and becomes indistinct halfway up. The final ascent could also be tricky in most. Rocky and stony, the terrain up Scafell is challenging, and in particular, the Wasdale route is a steep one
Sounds fun!

Well my friend has been organising it so ive not really looked into it yet but he said its from wasdale?

The Wasdale route is great, but my personal favourite is from Eskdale (driving the Hardknott Pass to get there is an adventure in itself) and walking over the stunning Great Moss then up the Little Narrowcove, descending via Mickeldore back to Great Moss.

If the weather has been dry (by Lake District standards) this is a fabulous route.

Back
Top Bottom