all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Hahaha! When I worked in Palm Beach back in the 80’s we’d epoxy rocks on the sea walls and make little routes. Years later someone had put up a nice traverse with Metolius holds in the same spot. Fun little barefoot cranking while visiting family.

Thanks Pet’, after watching that video I found the program link and did day-1 for my variety day this morning. Good stuff! Presses, pulls, goblet squats, swings, carries and crawls. What’s not to like?!?!

I just listened to a great podcast that you guys might like if you are interested in training for climbing.

I think the guest is SFG guy.

Hello,

Cameron Hanes can also be some kind of "inspiration" as far as mountain training is concerned. He does not do anything fancy:
- He runs a lot : at least 10 miles a day, often more. I mention here that he often splits it due to schedule constraints
- He lifts weights, but not heavy weights by SF standards. He is more into strength-endurance training. There is a lot of upper body (press, core, pull ups, ...) and also some leg training but not that much due to the running. In a video, he mentions lunges for example
- He rucks. When he ramps ups his training, to target mostly the legs he ruck uphill with a 130lbs stone on his back. He still admits that this is really full body and fairly demanding.

He has not done that overnight. This is a very progressive process. I guess this is why he remains relatively injury free.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Cameron Hanes can also be some kind of "inspiration" as far as mountain training is concerned. He does not do anything fancy:
- He runs a lot : at least 10 miles a day, often more. I mention here that he often splits it due to schedule constraints
- He lifts weights, but not heavy weights by SF standards. He is more into strength-endurance training. There is a lot of upper body (press, core, pull ups, ...) and also some leg training but not that much due to the running. In a video, he mentions lunges for example
- He rucks. When he ramps ups his training, to target mostly the legs he ruck uphill with a 130lbs stone on his back. He still admits that this is really full body and fairly demanding.

He has not done that overnight. This is a very progressive process. I guess this is why he remains relatively injury free.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Cam walks the walk for sure. Very fit, works hard and reaps the rewards for sure.

Cameron Hanes is a beast, no doubt, but there are a bunch of them out there. I think most of them prove that a terrible plan , actually performed, is much better then the best plan, only practiced in theory.
Do something, and do it often.

Hello,

Kind regards,

Pet'
Hanes is an animal. So is his son that broke Goggins's pull up record. Good recent podcast on Rogan.

Hello,

I was "proud" of my daily 150 pull ups...but this part of the podcast made me very humble ahah

This video about mountain prep, by Uphill Athlete is fairly interesting:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I was "proud" of my daily 150 pull ups...but this part of the podcast made me very humble ahah

This video about mountain prep, by Uphill Athlete is fairly interesting:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Just listened to this - great info - thank you for posting :)

Hello,

I recently stumbled accross the Harvard step test, to assess aerobic capacity.

If we push this a little further by doing it during an extended period of time, it can become an interesting conditioning protocol. By the way, Bob Backlund (wrestler) used it for this purpose.

Recently, I incorporated a leg complex, called "leg blaster". There is a thread regarding this on SF. Below is the link:

I slightly modified it, by adding a pistol before the 20 squats, and also adding 10 burpees at the end. I do the squats and lunges with a 14kg backpack. It mimics fairly well the motion we have when we go up/down hill. I noticed an improvement of my trailing. Before, I used to nothing but pistols and burpees. Adding these exercises make the leg routine more "refined" toward outdoor activities, which require a combination of strength, balance and power.

This is highly scalable:
- more or less repetitions of an exercise
- more or less rest between rounds
- weighted or not

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I recently stumbled accross the Harvard step test, to assess aerobic capacity.

If we push this a little further by doing it during an extended period of time, it can become an interesting conditioning protocol. By the way, Bob Backlund (wrestler) used it for this purpose.

Recently, I incorporated a leg complex, called "leg blaster". There is a thread regarding this on SF. Below is the link:

I slightly modified it, by adding a pistol before the 20 squats, and also adding 10 burpees at the end. I do the squats and lunges with a 14kg backpack. It mimics fairly well the motion we have when we go up/down hill. I noticed an improvement of my trailing. Before, I used to nothing but pistols and burpees. Adding these exercises make the leg routine more "refined" toward outdoor activities, which require a combination of strength, balance and power.

This is highly scalable:
- more or less repetitions of an exercise
- more or less rest between rounds
- weighted or not

Kind regards,

Pet'
There are a variety of ‘step tests’ out there.
This is the one I use:

Box height: approximately 1 foot
Number of steps: 1,000 (so 1,000’ of gain)
Pack weight: approximately 20% of body weight.
Footwear: Mountain Boots

Standards:
40-60+ minutes = Poor
20-40 minutes = Good
<20 minutes = Excellent

How would you do step up training?

It seems like it'd be a decent rucking substitute/running substitute if stuck because one is quarantined after travelling.

How would you do step up training?

It seems like it'd be a decent rucking substitute/running substitute if stuck because one is quarantined after travelling.
Yes. Box steps are the real deal. Very effective when you can’t get to the real thing. And that’s pretty much the only time I have used them.
And even then I would do them with a serious climbing goal in mind. So for starters I would use the weight I was planning to climb with (or perhaps just a bit more). Next I would try to mimic elevation gain. Either of the whole climb (rarely) or significant portions thereof. Then after a suitable warm-up I would crank up the Reverend Horton Heat and just go for it (the only time I ever use music in training). I would normally do this only once a week in the 8-10 weeks leading up to the climb if I had that much time to prepare. I would use running, and cycling as other ‘cardio’ prep work.

The odd time I would do some ‘maintenance’ box steps; this consisted of 2 x wk of 300m and once a week of 1000m. I would also use an HRM to keep in targeted zones

Bear in mind although very effective, it’s also very soul stealing...

Hint: get a palm clicker-counter to keep track of your steps

Fortunately i once again live near real mountains and don’t often need to rely on such shenanigans....

I trust this helps answer your question a bit, if not please feel free to ask for more detail

cheers
-b

There are a variety of ‘step tests’ out there.
This is the one I use:

Box height: approximately 1 foot
Number of steps: 1,000 (so 1,000’ of gain)
Pack weight: approximately 20% of body weight.
Footwear: Mountain Boots

Standards:
40-60+ minutes = Poor
20-40 minutes = Good
<20 minutes = Excellent
When we lived in NYC I would sometimes run up all 6 flights of steps in our building, then recover by jogging down and resting as needed before another "set." I I think less than 6 flights is better if AG training is the goal, maybe 4 flights or so. On my walks in town here, I encounter a set of 20 steps which I run up 2 at a time, seems Q&D-ish to me, very easy to keep nasal breathing breathing during recovery.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom