all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I knew it was a climbing term, but didn’t really know what it meant. Now I get it. The connection to bike racing makes sense to, as that’s all about groveling for hours.

Since this thread is about being Mountain Strong, I thought it would be interesting to see people's favorite training mountain, if you have one.

Here is mine:
It's about 20 min from my house and is located at my work, the nature of my work has me climb it about 6-10 times are year, but mostly I climb it on my own time.
Summertime usually 1x a week, sometimes more.
Winter it depends, try to get on it 2x a month, but the weather can get quite nasty. Fun little hill.

~2,000 ft vertical gain over 1.6 miles, if you start at the base. There are multiple approaches that can extend that though.
~4,000 ft for a double traverse

We have far bigger mountains around it, but those take more time and energy to get to. Total turnaround from house-mountain-house is about 2.5 hours. In the summer I often just have my wife and kids meet me after work, as it's on my way home, and we climb it together.
@Alaska80 Is that Donnelly Dome? If it is, I climbed that plenty in NWTC haha! The surrounding mountains were fun too.

Last edited:
@Wes P

It is Donnelly, unique mountain that you could spot anywhere. NWTC is a fun stint, I have spent time testing and training with them.

After spending time with my family in Florida for nineteen days I started into my Quarantine training plan and my first 72 hours for 10 days of Quarantine training went as follows:

Monday: Simple and Sinister (A.M.) and 'Aerobic Burpee' (P.M.)
Tuesday: 45 Minute Step Up Test to a 15" platform (the second step on the staircase in my apartment) - 853 translating into a 1066 foot elevation gain - God that was brutal.
Wednesday: Simple and Sinister (A.M.) and Aerobic Burpee (P.M.)

I used Tuesday's test to sort out this morning's session which was a couplet consisting of the following for 45 minutes straight:

100 step ups
Kettlebell Clean and Press for a single with each arm with a 32KG weight

Wound up doing 584 steps (five complete rounds and well into a sixth before the buzzer went off) for 720 feet of elevation gain and got 10 nice reps on the clean and press.

Both step up tests were unloaded and my heart rate was high for both of them, telling me I need to do more hill work in my aerobic training. Very well then...

Hello,

I recently tried something and @LoneRider 's post about step up makes me think about it.

Obviously, this is an excellent exercise, pretty "brutal" both physically and mentally. It is still possible to vary it: one can use a bell on different rack (shoulder, suitcase, waiters, etc...). This challenges balance and core a lot. There are tons of variations: same weight in both hands, different weight (so it creates instability), one side on rack while the other is on suitcase, etc...

Depending on the pace, we can make it smooth and aerobic.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

I recently tried something and @LoneRider 's post about step up makes me think about it.

Obviously, this is an excellent exercise, pretty "brutal" both physically and mentally. It is still possible to vary it: one can use a bell on different rack (shoulder, suitcase, waiters, etc...). This challenges balance and core a lot. There are tons of variations: same weight in both hands, different weight (so it creates instability), one side on rack while the other is on suitcase, etc...

Depending on the pace, we can make it smooth and aerobic.

Kind regards,

Pet'
What is strange is that my heart rate was lower for the burpee sessions versus the step ups...I had a merry laugh about that.

I had read this before, but recently ran up on it. Its worth your time , in my opinion.

TINSTAAFL
I think I knew this as TANSTAAFL, but same premise I suppose.

@offwidth , did you see Mark Twight , and his gang put out a book , or training plan I guess, named "Endurance" ? It is not cheap, and I am still debating on whether I am happy that I paid for it .

It is ....interesting. Nothing earth shattering, but solid information, and the product is more a work of art then a training manual.

Hello,

Good video here, but I recommend the website and the podcasts

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes, I highly recommend anything by uphill athlete.

Last edited:
Yep... pretty much the gold standard...
Just saw that Uphill has a new program, Chamonix, and it seems like an interesting minimalist option. I find that I blend elements of SF, Uphill, Dan John and Rob Shaul’s programs these days based on needs. One thing is for sure, TINSTAAFL, but many programs will work if you carry a solid base. ;)

Anyone been out in the wilds of late. We’ve lucked into some snow in the mid-Atlantic so I’ve been getting in some turns on the boards with my family. The hiking, cycling, strength base has been paying dividends.

I’m usually pretty good at deciphering acronyms with context, but I’m lost.

What is TINSTAAFL?

Anyone been out in the wilds of late. We’ve lucked into some snow in the mid-Atlantic so I’ve been getting in some turns on the boards with my family. The hiking, cycling, strength base has been paying dividends.

Took the family on a couple mile glacier hike to an ice cave, beautiful weather, and now that the sun has begun to shine in Alaska again it's a great time to be out.

Attachments

• 20201222_130519.jpg
    20201222_130519.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201222_132649.jpg
    20201222_132649.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 8
Hello,

Interesting podcast about (among other things) how to increase the run distance, some details about how to prepare for a specific event or how to train in specific conditions:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Back
Top Bottom