all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Haha
Yes well im going on a Friday hopefully it wont be as bad as a weekend, fingers crossed.
Hoping ive missed some of the summer rush by going end of September

Its a 5.5hr drive to get there so going to be knackered before i even start i think!

Im about to walk up my first mountain, snowdonia in the uk.
Im going to take the easiest route as ive not done anything like it before and im going with my daughter whos 19.

I struggle to fit everything in with work and a young family, ive been alternating jump rope bodyweight circuits and strength aerobics 3 times a week, brisk walking for 45mins after work 5 days a week and one long hike or bike ride on the weekends....hopefully ill be ok getting up snowden!

Cant wait to do it though, already looking forward to the tougher routes!
Take pics
And yes to Scafell, and then Ben Nevis…

Haha
Yes well im going on a Friday hopefully it wont be as bad as a weekend, fingers crossed.
Hoping ive missed some of the summer rush by going end of September

Its a 5.5hr drive to get there so going to be knackered before i even start i think!
I did the Three Peak challenge a few years ago. Ben Nevis at 04:00, then Scafell, then Snowden at around 23:00. Great fun, but you need a dedicated driver.
I hope your daughter enjoys the challenge. Don't let her cheat and take the train back down ?

@Gary Wilson , @Pete L
The fastest Three Peak Challenge is 11hrs 56min | Driving Between Trailheads
The fastest Three Peak Challenge is 37hrs 33min | Cycling Between Trailheads
The fastest Three Peak Challenge is 9days 11hrs 49min | On Foot Between Trailheads

@Gary Wilson , @Pete L
The fastest Three Peak Challenge is 11hrs 56min | Driving Between Trailheads
The fastest Three Peak Challenge is 37hrs 33min | Cycling Between Trailheads
The fastest Three Peak Challenge is 9days 11hrs 49min | On Foot Between Trailheads
We took 25 hours!
My excuse is a team mate pulled his groin on Ben Nevis and we went all Musketeer.
12 hours is phenomenal.

Im about to walk up my first mountain, snowdonia in the uk.
Im going to take the easiest route as ive not done anything like it before and im going with my daughter whos 19.

I struggle to fit everything in with work and a young family, ive been alternating jump rope bodyweight circuits and strength aerobics 3 times a week, brisk walking for 45mins after work 5 days a week and one long hike or bike ride on the weekends....hopefully ill be ok getting up snowden!

Cant wait to do it though, already looking forward to the tougher routes!
Fantastic, hope you enjoy it. But be careful using categories like easy. You still have the same height gained it'll be just as tiring, just nav and technicality are easier. If it's the llanberis path then the start on tarmac is very steep, don't be put off. And be aware that not everyone is coming down the same way, you can easily kid yourself they are and come down on the wrong side.

Fantastic, hope you enjoy it. But be careful using categories like easy. You still have the same height gained it'll be just as tiring, just nav and technicality are easier. If it's the llanberis path then the start on tarmac is very steep, don't be put off. And be aware that not everyone is coming down the same way, you can easily kid yourself they are and come down on the wrong side.
Good point! Not sure anything about it is going to be easy, im hoping to take it slow as to not put my daughter off for life!
I will take it slow and stop when ever she needs to, try and make it fun for her.

Also good point about coming back down, I'll make sure to chose the right path!

On a side note, and ive not read through all the pages on this thread so it might have already been mentioned but is there anything that you found has made a big difference in the ability to hike up mountains, other than actually hiking up mountains?

Ive been alternating my version of DMPM, jump rope instead of swings, Gymnastic rings for body weight stuff and strength aerobics, normally just clean press squat sometimes add a pullup or 2

But I feel like strength aerobics has been the game changer for my walking and cycling!

Last edited:
On a side note, and ive not read through all the pages on this thread so it might have already been mentioned but is there anything that you found has made a big difference in the ability to hike up mountains, other than actually hiking up mountains?
There really is no proper substitute. However we don’t always have the time or terrain readily at hand so a couple of things that can help are…
  • Rucking
  • Box Steps (both weighted and unweighted)
(close to 5 decades of climbing and moving in the mountains)

Following on from the above comment from @offwidth , it reminded me of this article;

Following on from the above comment from @offwidth , it reminded me of this article;
Yeah Ken knows his stuff.

Likewise you won’t go far wrong following the materials in TFTUA

There really is no proper substitute. However we don’t always have the time or terrain readily at hand so a couple of things that can help are…
  • Rucking
  • Box Steps (both weighted and unweighted)
(close to 5 decades of climbing and moving in the mountains)
Would agree in principal with offwidth, however, I think it is important to draw a distinction between someone of his caliber and the average hiker or casual mountaineer. To get to an elite level there is no substitution to actually performing your given activity in the mountains, but for most folks who just want to enjoy some time in the mountains and even bag a few peaks there are a multitude of routes that will get you there safely. When I cannot train in the mountains my favorite "mountain" exercises are as follows:

Box Steps with 35% BW
Short duration box steps with up to 100% BW
Tire drag for distance
Weighted vest walking (I have not found a better method to condition the shoulder girdle and traps for long miles and heavy weights, the way vests ride on my body makes it suck really bad)
Loaded carries
Single limp KB movements

Labor Day Adventure with Kids

Took my 16yo daughter and 13yo son on a walk-in, raft out, moose hunt over labor day.
The idea was to have my wife drop us off walk in 12 miles, set up camp, hunt then float out 22 miles to a bridge where I had pre staged my truck.
Pack Weights:
Myself: 92lbs. Includes gear, rifle, pack raft, 3 liters of water and bino harness.
Daughter: 48 lbs. Includes life jackets, paddles, two floor inserts, one pack raft.
Son: 73lbs. Includes gear, rifle, 3 liters of water and bino harness.

Day 1
The terrain was fairly challenging and I picked the wrong game trail going in and proceeded to bust brush for 3/4 of a mile in the rain. At that point I was about to call it quits, it sucked. We kept going and began to find the game trails moving in the direction we needed to go, so traveling got somewhat easier. At about the 3.5 mile mark kid's attitudes were still good.
We were headed to the farthest valley winding left in the distance.

P9021129.JPG
Finally made it to camp after about 7.5 hours of walking. Got camp set up and proceeded to enjoy the beautiful fall colors. Kids were pretty tired. View from camp.

P9021158.JPG

Began glassing that evening and after about 20 minutes saw what was likely a legal bull about 1.5 miles away. My daughter was the primary shooter and my son her backup, I was just there as the judger of a legal animal and meat packer. She took the bull with a single shot at 50 yards. In total that day we covered 16 miles.

Day 2

We shot the bull about 3/4 of a mile from camp and at dark so the cut up and pack out happened day two. 4 hours of cutting and 15 miles total of packing and we were done by 1800 that evening.

Day 3

We packed the rafts and began floating 750lbs of meat out.
P9041194.JPG
Water levels were high and we had a canyon that stretched about 5-6 miles with solid class III-III+ rapids. It was a lot of fun, though we were soaked head to toe from 48 degree water for about 5 hours. Got to the truck around 1700 and it took us about an hour to warm up. Great trip and could not be prouder of the tenacity those kids showed.

@Alaska80 - what a great trip!

I think your kids’s attitude is a testament to some great parenting ??

Good effort pushing through to find the game trail, bush bashing with any kit, let alone 90lbs +, is a top effort.

And you came away with 750lbs of meat?! … that is mind blowing… I think I’d be spending most of the hunt just butchering the animal at that size ?

Labor Day Adventure with Kids

Took my 16yo daughter and 13yo son on a walk-in, raft out, moose hunt over labor day.
The idea was to have my wife drop us off walk in 12 miles, set up camp, hunt then float out 22 miles to a bridge where I had pre staged my truck.
Pack Weights:
Myself: 92lbs. Includes gear, rifle, pack raft, 3 liters of water and bino harness.
Daughter: 48 lbs. Includes life jackets, paddles, two floor inserts, one pack raft.
Son: 73lbs. Includes gear, rifle, 3 liters of water and bino harness.

Day 1
The terrain was fairly challenging and I picked the wrong game trail going in and proceeded to bust brush for 3/4 of a mile in the rain. At that point I was about to call it quits, it sucked. We kept going and began to find the game trails moving in the direction we needed to go, so traveling got somewhat easier. At about the 3.5 mile mark kid's attitudes were still good.
We were headed to the farthest valley winding left in the distance.

View attachment 14719
Finally made it to camp after about 7.5 hours of walking. Got camp set up and proceeded to enjoy the beautiful fall colors. Kids were pretty tired. View from camp.

View attachment 14720

Began glassing that evening and after about 20 minutes saw what was likely a legal bull about 1.5 miles away. My daughter was the primary shooter and my son her backup, I was just there as the judger of a legal animal and meat packer. She took the bull with a single shot at 50 yards. In total that day we covered 16 miles.

Day 2

We shot the bull about 3/4 of a mile from camp and at dark so the cut up and pack out happened day two. 4 hours of cutting and 15 miles total of packing and we were done by 1800 that evening.

Day 3

We packed the rafts and began floating 750lbs of meat out.
View attachment 14721
Water levels were high and we had a canyon that stretched about 5-6 miles with solid class III-III+ rapids. It was a lot of fun, though we were soaked head to toe from 48 degree water for about 5 hours. Got to the truck around 1700 and it took us about an hour to warm up. Great trip and could not be prouder of the tenacity those kids showed.
That's awesome man. Good on you and your family!

Bump

How much carryover do you guys see from the skierg to running/walking/scrambling, particularly compared to row ergs or bikes? Looking for something low-impact to augment running/hiking volume.

Thought this might be a decent place to post this. I'm fairly casual about outdoor pursuits but this year I put more effort into bouldering and I have found some success using some strongfirst methods.

I was playing around with Etk+ and created a die roll table focusing on grip. A roll of 1-3 was grip board ladders, 4 was block pinching, 5 grippers, and 6 was sledge work. Anyway I found myself quickly wanting to add weight to my hangs and on my diy finger board this has never been the case.

I can say that at my current climbing level grip is no longer an issue, now to try and get to the crag and put that some good use.

Back
Top Bottom