all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I can attest that Mountain Athlete is fairly solid as well, having used both it and Military Athlete for over a year and some change from 2013-2014. I wound up switching to Military Athlete due to the fact that Mountain Athlete had too many climbing specific sessions, and our base's gym wasn't set up that way.

To be honest, when I do step ups, I just do them with nasal breathing and do not measure anything. I step up and down on a regular pace without stopping, as if I was walking. It works just fine
As someone who struggles with analysis paralysis, thanks for the permission to just go out to my deck and do step ups for 30 minutes with out getting out the tape measure or downloading an app to measure cadence.

Another fine article from Uphill Athlete. With recent Kettlebell experience since 2020 I'm curious how StrongFirst would treat these various looks at Stamina, Endurance, and Work Capacity.

My latest bit of curiosity revolves around Girevoy Sport style lifting (with its emphasis on power endurance) and its carryover into mountaineering.

I can attest that Mountain Athlete is fairly solid as well, having used both it and Military Athlete for over a year and some change from 2013-2014. I wound up switching to Military Athlete due to the fact that Mountain Athlete had too many climbing specific sessions, and our base's gym wasn't set up that way.
Where do you find theese programs?

Today I trained on a sports track for a bit of multi-modal endurance (running and step-ups).

So for a continuously running timer over 24 minutes I did the following:
  • Run 403 meters
  • 25 Stepups to a 15" Bench (bleachers near the sport field)
End result: 5 total rounds completed with about half a lap when the timer rang.
  • 1.37 miles/2.21 kilometers total
  • 156.25 feet/48.07 meter elevation gain
  • Average Heart Rate: 131 BPM
  • Maximum Heart Rate: 152 BPM (1 BPM below my Zone 2 ceiling).
This can also be done for rucking (I've determined the bench is sturdy enough to withstand me doing this).

Today I trained on a sports track for a bit of multi-modal endurance (running and step-ups).

So for a continuously running timer over 24 minutes I did the following:
  • Run 403 meters
  • 25 Stepups to a 15" Bench (bleachers near the sport field)
End result: 5 total rounds completed with about half a lap when the timer rang.
  • 1.37 miles/2.21 kilometers total
  • 156.25 feet/48.07 meter elevation gain
  • Average Heart Rate: 131 BPM
  • Maximum Heart Rate: 152 BPM (1 BPM below my Zone 2 ceiling).
This can also be done for rucking (I've determined the bench is sturdy enough to withstand me doing this).
Sounds like a good session

Sounds like a good session
It was. The idea was to make the session totally aerobic (do not exceed the upper ceiling for Zone 2 for me). I came up with that idea while eating dinner two weeks ago and jotted it down in my notepad.

I'd vary intensity by extending the length of time, and measure progress by how much work done aerobically I get through in a session.

I'm thinking of integrating bouldering training once a week as some fun cross training opportunity for Jiujitsu when I get home. This thread can be credited for having awakened interest in an old hobby I've not indulged in for almost five years.

Hello,

Pretty close to what you did, below is a great MTI article with routines geared toward strength/stamina and endurance. They are circuit based

Kind regards,

Pet'

So… do you plan on incorporating this on the regular into your training? Or perhaps on some cyclical basis?
During this time of the year my schedule doesn't permit afternoon / evening trail specific sessions so I have supplemented something similar as @LoneRider described. Twice per week in the evenings I perform 30-45min of circuits in zone-1/2 immediately followed by a 45+ minute walk under load. I have done this over the past few years and feel that it keeps my overall endurance and outdoor related strength in maintenance from Dec to mid-March.
My current routine uses a 20lb weight vest for the following circuits. 20min of 5x KB swings + single goblet squat / 5x push-up's on 30s ala Q&D/ATC. Then 10-20 min of step-up's w/additional 40lbs / chins rotating on 30s on 30s off. Heavy farmer's walk to finish then leash up the hounds and head out the door.
Those weekly sessions combined with a bi-monthly longer (2-4hrs) trail run / hike / bike does the trick for maintaining enough fitness to be 'off the couch ready' for whatever adventures may arrise. @pet' I've worked w/Rob Shaul in the past and some of the MTI philosophy still exists in my annual training and programming.

During this time of the year my schedule doesn't permit afternoon / evening trail specific sessions so I have supplemented something similar as @LoneRider described. Twice per week in the evenings I perform 30-45min of circuits in zone-1/2 immediately followed by a 45+ minute walk under load. I have done this over the past few years and feel that it keeps my overall endurance and outdoor related strength in maintenance from Dec to mid-March.
My current routine uses a 20lb weight vest for the following circuits. 20min of 5x KB swings + single goblet squat / 5x push-up's on 30s ala Q&D/ATC. Then 10-20 min of step-up's w/additional 40lbs / chins rotating on 30s on 30s off. Heavy farmer's walk to finish then leash up the hounds and head out the door.
Those weekly sessions combined with a bi-monthly longer (2-4hrs) trail run / hike / bike does the trick for maintaining enough fitness to be 'off the couch ready' for whatever adventures may arrise. @pet' I've worked w/Rob Shaul in the past and some of the MTI philosophy still exists in my annual training and programming.
How long ago did you train at MTI?

Over the summer of 2012 and then remotely running a variety of training programs.
That's awesome. From November onward I've been running a Mountain Tactical Institute inspired program for the Bench and Front Squat and a StrongFirst inspired Deadlift (5,3,2 sets/reps). This is my current program today.
  • Mon - Strength training - Mountain Athlete inspired program (A.M.)
  • Tues - Alactic and Aerobic Swings and Chassis Integrity Work (Getups and Goblet Squats) (A.M.)
  • Weds - Run, Ruck, or Multi-Modal Endurance (A.M.) and Jiujitsu (P.M.)
  • Thurs - Rest
  • Fri - Army Mandated Physical Training (A.M.) and Jiujitsu (P.M.)
  • Sat - Strength work or A&A (P.M.)
  • Sun - Rest
The details of the strength program itself are on page 20 of this thread.

Back
Top Bottom