all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Mountain Strong?

Another video for your lazy Sunday afternoon viewing pleasure..

***p.g. For language ***

That was great! I'd say the strongman did amazingly well. And the climber's moves are just beautiful to watch.

It's such a great demo of all the things we say around here...

Two very fit guys... "Fit for what?"

You can't have it all

You become what you train; specific adaptation to imposed demands

Cost of adaptation

Ability to move yourself, vs. your ability to move the world around you

Strength is relative

There's no "right" way to be fit... it just depends on what you want to be and what you want to do.

That was great! I'd say the strongman did amazingly well. And the climber's moves are just beautiful to watch.

It's such a great demo of all the things we say around here...

Two very fit guys... "Fit for what?"

You can't have it all

You become what you train; specific adaptation to imposed demands

Cost of adaptation

Ability to move yourself, vs. your ability to move the world around you

Strength is relative

There's no "right" way to be fit... it just depends on what you want to be and what you want to do.
Well said my friend…

I'm thinking of integrating bouldering training once a week as some fun cross training opportunity for Jiujitsu when I get home. This thread can be credited for having awakened interest in an old hobby I've not indulged in for almost five years.
I don't know what it's like near you but the modern bouldering walls are a massive improvement on walls from even 20 years ago. So much to do, and they now have general strength equipment. I can boulder then use the squat rack or kettlebells. My friend boulders with me and does bjj, as a very light dude it's been mentioned that he holds on hard.

One of the bouldering gyms near me does have some general fitness stuff, but I mostly prefer to use my kettlebells at home for that sort of thing and just climb for fun crosstraining.

The entire concept behind Rob Shaul's Mountain Athlete - creating a stronger faster mountaineer inspired me to imagine this for fighters who are also weight constrained athletes.

Good video.
Personally, not my cup of tea for footwear choice on trails however…
What do you prefer? I found a tactical boot with a minimalist sole that I kind of like. Still looking for something better, something with more durability and resoleability.

Back
Top Bottom