all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Yeah I did, I started just around when hard grit came out. My first trad lead was at froggat. Have you climbed at Burbage? It's a funny place with some relatively small yet terrifying climbs, loads of test peices and some very easy stuff.

Oh, you've just reminded me of this:

I've met him and he thinks about climbing movement like no one else I've talked to.

I have yes.

And although not me climbing (I took the picture) this one was pretty terrifying. These lads were doing it in the rain…

C05DFE1B-CA12-4BEF-A062-4B0FF78C5DE8.jpeg

So I'm late to this party. Signed up for this forum when it first started 9 years ago, but never really checked it. Came over for the articles and kept my forum visits to the old Dan John site. That shut down last month and I'm looking for a new place to call home. Sort of a hybrid endurance and kettlebell athlete. Most of my lifting is to prepare me for my annual death march in and out of the Grand Canyon every year. Last year did another GC R2R2R in a single day and kettlebells helped build the chassis.

So I'm late to this party. Signed up for this forum when it first started 9 years ago, but never really checked it. Came over for the articles and kept my forum visits to the old Dan John site. That shut down last month and I'm looking for a new place to call home. Sort of a hybrid endurance and kettlebell athlete. Most of my lifting is to prepare me for my annual death march in and out of the Grand Canyon every year. Last year did another GC R2R2R in a single day and kettlebells helped build the chassis.
When are you going to the GC this year?

Gents, would you mind sharing some of your strength training used to supplement your R2R2R preparation? It’s a bucket list item for me and I’m preparing for the AT Four State challenge this fall.

Gents, would you mind sharing some of your strength training used to supplement your R2R2R preparation? It’s a bucket list item for me and I’m preparing for the AT Four State challenge this fall.
Strength Training… virtually none. That being said… I do a small selection of ‘maintenance’ exercises that possibly could be construed as strength training... unilateral stuff like SLDL’s. I do S&S of course, but I don’t really view that as a supplement.
The bulk of my training for R2R(2R) and things of a similar will be actually doing the thing in question. So… basically… trail running, hiking, and rucking.

Keep it fairly simple. Warm up with mobility work and swings. Then do a four part circuit three times a week. Kettlebell press, leg exercise, TRX row and an ab wheel. Do three to four rounds of that.

Finish off with loaded carries and then use a box to do loaded step ups or step downs. Load with a 30 lb pack and dumbbells.

Mix up the presses and leg exercises every other workout.

From the fine folks at Uphill Athlete.com. I notice its closeness to the Fit not Fried podcast from Art of Manliness I shared previously:

And this one I plugged in my max heart rate, 85% of max HR, and my upper threshold of Zone 2 for ballpark figures...

The routine I mentioned above is my standard routine for most of the year. What I have learned over the years is that rucking and time on feet helps a lot for the Grand Canyon. I'll wear my backpack to walk my dog which gives me an extra 10-12 miles a week of low impact work. Read an article from a SAR volunteer for Mt Whitney an they said where most folks get in trouble is that they train with a 5-6 pound pack but on game day they are now carrying triple that weight. The extra weight causes issues with fatigue, which leads to other issues.

One other thing, one of the guys that hiked my R3 with me last year is a food scientist at one of the name brand energy bar companies. He's helped concoct some of the bars and gels that you probably eat when training. Dialing in your nutrition is probably the most important aspect of a successful Grand Canyon trip. His take is that you need 250-300 calories per hour, every hour starting from hour one. Then divide those calories between food you drink and food you eat. For many people, if you can hike/run 4-5 hours you can hike/run 20 hours in the Grand Canyon with proper nutrition and dialing back your intensity a tad bit.

Back
Top Bottom