all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Finished the DANCON (Danish Contingent) March, a 25 kilometer ruck with 10 kilograms. I was a bit heavy with 14 kilograms in the rucksack (and the course was a bit longer, measuring at 25.79 kilometers versus 25 kilometers) and did the following:
  1. Average Pace: 16:42 (min:sec)/mile
  2. Completion time: 4:27 (hours:minutes)
  3. Average Heartrate: 150 BPM (Largely Zone 2)
  4. Maximum Heartrate: 164 BPM (mostly in the last 5-6 kilometers of the ruck)
Overall I'm quite happy with StrongFirst's A&A methods (built around 1 and 2 handed swings EMOM), getups and goblet squats for chassis integrity, Zone 1 and 2 Endurance work (for me anything below 152 BPM), and minimalist strength work around bench presses and front squats.

Thought I'd re-share the article that launched my interest in hybrid athletic pursuits, first read in 2010 after a buddy of mine recommended Military Athlete.com:

I stumbled across that article when it first came out in 2008 and I was living in Idaho at the time. Two years later I had a new job that required a couple of trips annually to Jackson WY and called up Rob to see if I could drop in for a few sessions. He was very cool about it, all I had to do was pay $35 to come to a class and then he would allow me to hang out for another hour or so to ask him personal training questions in between him barking orders at the next class. Ended up working out with a couple of the guys in this article. That was my inspiration to be fit enough in my 60's to go climb Everest if need be.

I stumbled across that article when it first came out in 2008 and I was living in Idaho at the time. Two years later I had a new job that required a couple of trips annually to Jackson WY and called up Rob to see if I could drop in for a few sessions. He was very cool about it, all I had to do was pay $35 to come to a class and then he would allow me to hang out for another hour or so to ask him personal training questions in between him barking orders at the next class. Ended up working out with a couple of the guys in this article. That was my inspiration to be fit enough in my 60's to go climb Everest if need be.
To quote our Aussie friends, f-ing oath!

I wound up following both Mountain and Military Athlete from 2013-2014 while stationed in Hawaii. Several years later in late 2022 I took inspiration from both StrongFirst and Mountain Athlete for my training of late. Was cool to find this article again in a pique of nostalgia.

To quote our Aussie friends, f-ing oath!

I wound up following both Mountain and Military Athlete from 2013-2014 while stationed in Hawaii. Several years later in late 2022 I took inspiration from both StrongFirst and Mountain Athlete for my training of late. Was cool to find this article again in a pique of nostalgia.
It was humbling to get my butt kicked by a 65 year old guy that was 20 years older than me. They have some pretty unique specimens that train at that gym. Plus I like the fact that Rob is humble enough to acknowledge where he's been wrong and had to change course in his teaching methods. Think I may need to do a round of MTI inspired stuff on my next training cycle after I'm done playing around with Iron Cardio.

That was my experience there as well; humble mutants. There are a few mountain based fitness gyms like that and I’m happy to have had the opportunity to train with them. Eye opening.
The programming itself was humbling, that I observed while following it remotely from Hawaii.

Finally knocked off a bucket list hike where I went from the base of our local mountain range to the summit. All told it was 13 miles and 7000 feet of climbing. My training for the past month to prep were 3 mile ruck walks with my dog a few days a week, 2-4 hour hikes on the weekends and Iron Cardio. Really noticed the Iron Cardio yesterday. My legs felt bulletproof from all of the goblet squats.

Finally knocked off a bucket list hike where I went from the base of our local mountain range to the summit. All told it was 13 miles and 7000 feet of climbing. My training for the past month to prep were 3 mile ruck walks with my dog a few days a week, 2-4 hour hikes on the weekends and Iron Cardio. Really noticed the Iron Cardio yesterday. My legs felt bulletproof from all of the goblet squats.
Just bought my copy of Iron Cardio yesterday and I plan to have a look through it for some planning/thinking on it as a program to use thanks to this post, so thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom