all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I must admit that upon first blush IC looks intriguing. Maybe it’s just a case of ‘shiny thing’. What I struggle with a bit is how to incorporate or programme it into an already pretty busy schedule without either ‘under recovering’ or dropping stuff that I know currently works and is delivering. I suppose instead of talking about it, I should just try it and see.
Thoughts?

Just bought my copy of Iron Cardio yesterday and I plan to have a look through it for some planning/thinking on it as a program to use thanks to this post, so thanks for that.
The training template is pretty similar to what I've seen some elite climbers use to prep. With Iron Cardio you use a kettlebell and the climber's version was pushups, pull-ups and leg exercises on the minute, every minute for time.

I'm also a big fan of MTI's "Leg Blaster". Know when I can knock off a full set, my legs are ready for a long day in the mountains.

I must admit that upon first blush IC looks intriguing. Maybe it’s just a case of ‘shiny thing’. What I struggle with a bit is how to incorporate or programme it into an already pretty busy schedule without either ‘under recovering’ or dropping stuff that I know currently works and is delivering. I suppose instead of talking about it, I should just try it and see.
Thoughts?
What are your goals?

I struggle with pulling power, especially on edges. The IC protocol was a very good 'in-season' training as i would do 5-15 rounds with the pulls on the 25mm edges on my hangboard. This kept that pattern primed during the season.
Usually during a climbing season (9-10 mos) i become detrained, as i of course will focus on climbing. This year, with the IC+ edge pullups, i was stronger at the END of the season than the beginning!

The training template is pretty similar to what I've seen some elite climbers use to prep. With Iron Cardio you use a kettlebell and the climber's version was pushups, pull-ups and leg exercises on the minute, every minute for time.

I'm also a big fan of MTI's "Leg Blaster". Know when I can knock off a full set, my legs are ready for a long day in the mountains.

I've looked into IC and LISS work as a possible cycle in later years as a thought.

Beautiful!
How much water do you take w/you?
Do you take just regular water or some other hydration+?
Depends upon the route, weather, ability to find water en route, etc. This particular day less than a litre of plain water.
Any longer or hotter, I would have more water, and usually some electrolyte replacement such as Tailwind, or Skratch.

Depends upon the route, weather, ability to find water en route, etc. This particular day less than a litre of plain water.
Any longer or hotter, I would have more water, and usually some electrolyte replacement such as Tailwind, or Skratch.
How do you manage at 32C for that long with one liter?
I'd be in the hospital with that little...

How do you manage at 32C for that long with one liter?
I'd be in the hospital with that little...
Well… Good question…
First off 14km isn’t really all that long.
Secondly… this particular one is an out and back course; specifically up and down. So the tougher up hill portions were done earlier before the temps got that high, and the downhill parts are just… well… downhill, so less exertion in the heat.
Third… 32C isn’t so bad, as it routinely gets into the 40’s here once summer arrives, which brings me to the last point… to an extent, one can, through training, become heat adapted.
And I guess there is one other thing. Hydrate well beforehand, and afterwards.

But your point is very well raised. Dehydration and heat related injuries (stroke and exhaustion) are no joke, and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Doing locomotive endurance activities in high heat comes with certain risks, and it’s up to the individual to know what their personal risk-reward ratios are, and to take full responsibility for their actions.

And… if I’m being honest… even though I’ve had many decades of doing stuff in some pretty harsh conditions, there are times I still get pretty close to the line…

As I am fond of saying… ” There’s a fine line between bada$$ and dumba$$”

Thoughts?
Having followed your log a while, I'd say the easiest is anywhere you'd normally do your S&S practice. If you have time, you could do a "big" session and do IC + S&S, or your could replace every other S&S session with an IC session. It is pretty "easy" to do swings and getups after, but it definitely makes for a longer session than one or the other alone.

Time suggestions:
1. You can always split the difference in combo sessions - e.g. 10-15 min IC, 50 swings, 5 getups.
2. You can also warmup with 100 lighter swings and getups (dropping 4-8kg down), and then doing an IC session.
- both of these keep the swings and getups, but help keep a 30 minute session turn into an hour plus.

Recovery suggestions:
1. Use a slightly lighter bell (instead of 5RM, maybe an 8 or 10RM)
2. Start with short sessions (e.g. 10 min time cap) and grow them as you adapt
3. Really go by feel and throw away the clock - when you lose your pop and snap, stop.

For me, the draw of IC over S&S is the ease with which to add pull-ups into the mix. I never could quite get a good mix with swings and getups.
yes. I typically would do pull ups completely separately (although i didn’t in the past) I don’t do pull ups all that often any more…

Well… Good question…
First off 14km isn’t really all that long.
Secondly… this particular one is an out and back course; specifically up and down. So the tougher up hill portions were done earlier before the temps got that high, and the downhill parts are just… well… downhill, so less exertion in the heat.
Third… 32C isn’t so bad, as it routinely gets into the 40’s here once summer arrives, which brings me to the last point… to an extent, one can, through training, become heat adapted.
And I guess there is one other thing. Hydrate well beforehand, and afterwards.

But your point is very well raised. Dehydration and heat related injuries (stroke and exhaustion) are no joke, and shouldn’t be taken lightly. Doing locomotive endurance activities in high heat comes with certain risks, and it’s up to the individual to know what their personal risk-reward ratios are, and to take full responsibility for their actions.

And… if I’m being honest… even though I’ve had many decades of doing stuff in some pretty harsh conditions, there are times I still get pretty close to the line…

As I am fond of saying… ” There’s a fine line between bada$$ and dumba$$”
Well, I asked because I had an incident last week.
We go fairly regularly for for 4 - 8 km hikes in a canyon by the Dead Sea. For years... - and I never had a problem.
Last week we went, perfect temperature of 27C. 25% humidity. No sweating at all.
I drank regularly but I guess not enough.
Got sick that night... chills, passed out, vomiting... terrible.
It's taken a solid week to come back to myself.

Well, I asked because I had an incident last week.
We go fairly regularly for for 4 - 8 km hikes in a canyon by the Dead Sea. For years... - and I never had a problem.
Last week we went, perfect temperature of 27C. 25% humidity. No sweating at all.
I drank regularly but I guess not enough.
Got sick that night... chills, passed out, vomiting... terrible.
It's taken a solid week to come back to myself.
Sometimes not sweating is one of the first signs that something is wrong. You should be sweating.

It’s not at all surprising that it’s taken a full week to recover. I’ve been there…

Sometimes not sweating is one of the first signs that something is wrong. You should be sweating.

It’s not at all surprising that it’s taken a full week to recover. I’ve been there…
This also could be no perceived sweating. Because the air is very dry there it may, or simply have evaporated before you noticed it. At least that’s one theory.

-S-

I must admit that upon first blush IC looks intriguing. I suppose instead of talking about it, I should just try it and see.
Thoughts?
It’s definitely worth a try and I feel it has some carryover to mountain endeavors. I grabbed a copy during a sale earlier this year and supplement it with swings, crawling and pull ups. So far so good!

Having followed your log a while, I'd say the easiest is anywhere you'd normally do your S&S practice. If you have time, you could do a "big" session and do IC + S&S, or your could replace every other S&S session with an IC session. It is pretty "easy" to do swings and getups after, but it definitely makes for a longer session than one or the other alone.

Time suggestions:
1. You can always split the difference in combo sessions - e.g. 10-15 min IC, 50 swings, 5 getups.
2. You can also warmup with 100 lighter swings and getups (dropping 4-8kg down), and then doing an IC session.
- both of these keep the swings and getups, but help keep a 30 minute session turn into an hour plus.

Recovery suggestions:
1. Use a slightly lighter bell (instead of 5RM, maybe an 8 or 10RM)
2. Start with short sessions (e.g. 10 min time cap) and grow them as you adapt
3. Really go by feel and throw away the clock - when you lose your pop and snap, stop.
I especially like the IC every other session especially considering a baseline of 3x S&S sessions a week when one is at the Timeless Simple level. That allows for two S&S and 1 IC one week and vice versa the next, theoretically allowing a natural back off of one set of movements as well as allowing for a couple LISS type zone two sessions per week.

Back
Top Bottom