all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Having followed your log a while, I'd say the easiest is anywhere you'd normally do your S&S practice. If you have time, you could do a "big" session and do IC + S&S, or your could replace every other S&S session with an IC session. It is pretty "easy" to do swings and getups after, but it definitely makes for a longer session than one or the other alone.

Time suggestions:
1. You can always split the difference in combo sessions - e.g. 10-15 min IC, 50 swings, 5 getups.
2. You can also warmup with 100 lighter swings and getups (dropping 4-8kg down), and then doing an IC session.
- both of these keep the swings and getups, but help keep a 30 minute session turn into an hour plus.

Recovery suggestions:
1. Use a slightly lighter bell (instead of 5RM, maybe an 8 or 10RM)
2. Start with short sessions (e.g. 10 min time cap) and grow them as you adapt
3. Really go by feel and throw away the clock - when you lose your pop and snap, stop.
Yet another idea is S&S sessions with waving volume per several articles here, and Al Ciampa's article on heart rate regulated S&S sessions also pops into mind (gotta love S&C rabbitholes):

Simple & Sinister + Heart Rate Training | StrongFirst

And yet again Zone 2 cardio popped into my head with the possibility of up to 4x LISS/Zone 2 sessions a week (with 3 sessions from 10-20 minutes duration immediately after IC or S&S and one long session of LISS) thanks to this article:

At the risk of sounding controversial… (who me?)
S&S from my perspective is not Cardio. Or maybe put another way, it does not provide (for me) Z2. For the past few sessions I have been using an HRM and at best it’s Z1 or ZR. Plus, when doing Z2 work (again, for my purposes) I am usually looking at sessions that are 1 to 2 hours in duration.

Your 'controversial' is more than welcome here. If nothing else an IC/S&S cycle would feature separate Zone 1 and 2 work. Plus i like long runs down the coastline of Florida when home.

At the risk of sounding controversial… (who me?)
S&S from my perspective is not Cardio. Or maybe put another way, it does not provide (for me) Z2. For the past few sessions I have been using an HRM and at best it’s Z1 or ZR. Plus, when doing Z2 work (again, for my purposes) I am usually looking at sessions that are 1 to 2 hours in duration.
I agree. That said, I have done long (50-60 minute) IC sessions where I have kept my HR in the theoretical Z2 but it feels very different to a 50-60 minute steady state session on the bike or rower.

I agree. That said, I have done long (50-60 minute) IC sessions where I have kept my HR in the theoretical Z2 but it feels very different to a 50-60 minute steady state session on the bike or rower.
How often do you do said longer sessions?

Not very often. My typical IC training sessions are usually 30-40 minutes.

My training template is generally along the following lines:

Mon & Thurs: Iron Cardio
Tues & Friday: Snatch Practice
Wed & Sun: Zone 2
Sat: Variety/Rest
Sounds like a cool idea: I assume your snatch practice is basically A&A or similar?

Yes, based on A+A principles but not sure it’s heavy enough to be considered true A+A
I'm sure that 'heavy' for A&A is relative for the exercise and the lifter. For me 20-24 KG snatches are 'moderate to heavy' and 32KG for a single is really heavy, so when I go to snatch regularly later this year (QD044 for 3 months to close out this year) I'm likely gonna use a 16KG-20 KG bell with a 24KG for heavier efforts.

We did a 5K this morning, around the 80F range at 5 AM here in the desert. Man that was tough. Maximum heart rate hit 196 BPM and so I re-looked my Zone 2 heart rate, finding this to be 159 BPM.

With the new heart rate figures above, I did an A&A session with alternating sets of 24KG and 28 KG (24R, 24L, 28R, 28L) of 5x one arm swings every minute on the minute capped off with a 28KG set of five two arm swings to keep things even. What was interesting was that I stayed within Zone 2 for 175 swings with a maximum heart rate of 158 BPM and an average heart rate of 134 BPM.

Back
Top Bottom