all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mountain Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Found among the weekly articles put out by the fine folks at the Mountain Tactical Institute (originally Mountain Athlete and it's more intense cousin, Military Athlete).

Outside Magazine had a heck of an article for endurance. I figured I'd share it here.

I'd sum this up with the training advice I picked up from training with a vacationing Euro-Pro cyclist 30+ years ago. Tucson gets a few pro cyclists in the winter who like to lay low and away from the European press and fans. The guy had finished in the top 5 of the polka dot jersey competition for best climber in the TDF the year before. His advice "either train really, really slow or train really, really fast. Never train in the middle and most of your time should be spent going slow".

I'd sum this up with the training advice I picked up from training with a vacationing Euro-Pro cyclist 30+ years ago. Tucson gets a few pro cyclists in the winter who like to lay low and away from the European press and fans. The guy had finished in the top 5 of the polka dot jersey competition for best climber in the TDF the year before. His advice "either train really, really slow or train really, really fast. Never train in the middle and most of your time should be spent going slow".
Yeah, kinda like how my morning run went this morning. I went a tad fast at the start. Thankfully I never exceeded the upper ceiling of Zone 2, but I had to slow down to a walking pace twice.

Yeah, kinda like how my morning run went this morning. I went a tad fast at the start. Thankfully I never exceeded the upper ceiling of Zone 2, but I had to slow down to a walking pace twice.
What about a mix in one session? 40 min zone 2 then 5 minutes ASFAP (not sure if that is a legit acronym)?
Or should they be separate sessions.
I suppose the kettlebell equivalent would be A+A 1H swings under talk test followed by max reps on each arm to finish.

I'm keeping my roadwork easy and saving hard efforts for A&A 1H or 2H Swing days or sprinting days. Easy roadwork all Zone 1 and 2 is all about base building.

you see fellas… ‘we knew’ this stuff 30 years ago… and for some reason its this big new thing…

Most people’s easy days are way too hard, and their hard days way too easy….

We did a 5K this morning, around the 80F range at 5 AM here in the desert. Man that was tough. Maximum heart rate hit 196 BPM and so I re-looked my Zone 2 heart rate, finding this to be 159 BPM.
With the new heart rate figures above, I did an A&A session with alternating sets of 24KG and 28 KG (24R, 24L, 28R, 28L) of 5x one arm swings every minute on the minute capped off with a 28KG set of five two arm swings to keep things even. What was interesting was that I stayed within Zone 2 for 175 swings with a maximum heart rate of 158 BPM and an average heart rate of 134 BPM.

Sounds good to me.

FWIW to you or anyone else, with my training students here in my basement gym, the "rhythm" I usually use is 10 swings on the 2:00, 7 swings on the 1:30, and 5 swings on the minute. It seems to work out OK as a default or starting point. We build up to a new weight something like this for a part of the session that would total 40 2h swings:

40 swings progressing from 24 to 32 kg

24 kg x 10 reps x 4 sets

24 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets and 32 kg x 5 reps x 4 sets (20 reps @ new weight as 5 reps x 4 sets on the 1:00)

24 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets and 32 kg x 7 reps x 3 sets (21 reps @ new weight as 7 reps x 3 sets on the 1:30)

24 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets and 32 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets (20 reps @ new weight as 10 reps x 2 sets on the 2:00)

Then progress by the set, e.g., 24 kg x 10 reps x 1 set and 32 kg x 10 reps x 3 sets.

Rest period is always based on what you just did, not what you're about to do.

Some adjustment to the above can be made if you're doing 1h swings.

The basic idea is that you're doing 100 swings somehow or other in 20 minutes, starting with all 2h swings with a light weight and gradually incorporating heavier 2h swings, then some 1h swings, all while keeping your 20 minutes for 100 swings. Is this A+A or S&S? Beats me! :)

-S-

Sounds good to me.

FWIW to you or anyone else, with my training students here in my basement gym, the "rhythm" I usually use is 10 swings on the 2:00, 7 swings on the 1:30, and 5 swings on the minute. It seems to work out OK as a default or starting point. We build up to a new weight something like this for a part of the session that would total 40 2h swings:

40 swings progressing from 24 to 32 kg

24 kg x 10 reps x 4 sets

24 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets and 32 kg x 5 reps x 4 sets (20 reps @ new weight as 5 reps x 4 sets on the 1:00)

24 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets and 32 kg x 7 reps x 3 sets (21 reps @ new weight as 7 reps x 3 sets on the 1:30)

24 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets and 32 kg x 10 reps x 2 sets (20 reps @ new weight as 10 reps x 2 sets on the 2:00)

Then progress by the set, e.g., 24 kg x 10 reps x 1 set and 32 kg x 10 reps x 3 sets.

Rest period is always based on what you just did, not what you're about to do.

Some adjustment to the above can be made if you're doing 1h swings.

The basic idea is that you're doing 100 swings somehow or other in 20 minutes, starting with all 2h swings with a light weight and gradually incorporating heavier 2h swings, then some 1h swings, all while keeping your 20 minutes for 100 swings. Is this A+A or S&S? Beats me! :)

-S-
I've been experimenting with longer durations of swings at 5 reps/EMOM (loads vary from 24KG to 32KG) usually paired off with the duration of my running days (i.e. my LISS day is 35 minutes, then I'm doing my swings for 35 minutes) since December of last year. So far so good...

I vary the intensity of my swings based on feel, mostly.

you see fellas… ‘we knew’ this stuff 30 years ago… and for some reason its this big new thing…

Most people’s easy days are way too hard, and their hard days way too easy….
My coach back then used to coach a guy that went from Cat IV to racing with PDM in the Tour within four years. The bulk of our training in the winter was simply sitting in the saddle for 4-6 hours and taking it easy. Throw in an occasional sprint for road sign or hilltop to keep it interesting.

20# weight vest walks at Zone 2 and below while walking my dog is gonna form some good part of my LISS work when I get back home.

Same for me in the late 80’s and early 90’s along the Front Range. Pile on the hours of saddle time and build the base. No shortages of fast cyclists in Colorado in those days.
Colorado had a mind boggling amount of fast guys back then. They'd come down here for big races and a Colorado Cat III was as fast as an Arizona Cat II. Not uncommon for Colorado guys looking for upgrade points to come down to beat us up in local races.

Colorado had a mind boggling amount of fast guys back then. They'd come down here for big races and a Colorado Cat III was as fast as an Arizona Cat II. Not uncommon for Colorado guys looking for upgrade points to come down to beat us up in local races.
Oh yes, the old paper USCF license that would get hand signed by the district rep. Super Week was another targeted event for upgrade points. It only took one season in the P-1-2 fields to make most miss the “working man pro” category.

Back
Top Bottom