all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Mouth taping

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just tape your lips. I have a beard too and I didn't have any issues.

I only did it for a week or so, maybe you don't need to do it for too long.

I dunno if it’s worth the trouble. Seems like the process of nasal breathing will eventually allow it to happen regardless

In the meantime I’m just gonna read the book and use the free app.

@Abdul Rasheed
Many people are mouth breathers, even if not full time. For reasons that are too many to be listed here, it is not a good thing. We should breath through the nose unless some very intensive activities.
One problem is that we can also breath through the mouth while sleeping. One easy way to correct it it to tape the mouth.

I use for myself and my students 3M micropore hypoallergenic, 2,5 cm, by boxes of 12. It is cheap and effective.

I personally use 3m micropore tape and it's very effective and cost effective (although I'm clean shaven). Generally, it's been VERY helpful in eliminating the jaw grinding/panic breathing that used to disturb my sleep. I've probably ingrained nasal only breathing as a habit now, but I tape every night as a cue.

If I remember correctly, I think Patrick Mckweon recommends LipSeal Tape.

If I remember correctly, I think Patrick Mckweon recommends LipSeal Tape.
He recommends both LipSteal tape and 3M micropore.
Lipsteal is very good, and probably better for someone with facial hair, but nothing beats 3M micropore for the price!

Thanks gents. I will order one now. I do breath through mouth during sleep.

Could children use this method? I am thinking about my 8 year old. It should be okay, I suppose?

I have used paper tape with no issue.

I also did it only for a week, to make sure I wasnt mouth breathing. You don't need to do it forever. Just reassess if you wake up with a dry mouth an clogged nose.

Wouldn't it be easier to go to a medical supply place and get a CPAP half mask that allows you to breath but supports the jaw?

Wouldn't it be easier to go to a medical supply place and get a CPAP half mask that allows you to breath but supports the jaw?
I don't think that's as easy as just putting a piece of tape over my mouth before going to sleep. The tape is less invasive too.

I guess it depends on how strongly you want to open your mouth. In my case, the tape held in place, but I wasnt a serious mouth breather. For someone who has been mouth breathing during the night for long, maybe strapping the jaw is required.

In my experience, if you go to bed with a clear nose and taped mouth, the air flow through the nose will keep it clear, and you wont want to open your mouth. Once you open your mouth, the air flow through the nose stops, you start over breathing, and the nose gets clogged.

I must have missed this post while I was locked out of my account.

Regular mouth taper here. Do it off and on based on when I wake up with a dry mouth. If the fenix 3 hr watch has any merit to its sleep cycle monitor. I get more deep sleep cycle time when I tape my mouth and the weeks following taping.

Granted another N-1 anecdotal observation. I was a horrible night time mouth breather previous to trying this.

Karl

Last edited:
Thanks gents. I will order one now. I do breath through mouth during sleep.

Could children use this method? I am thinking about my 8 year old. It should be okay, I suppose?

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. If a 8 year old kid wakes up with a blocked nose, he or she will easily be able to remove the tape, I reckon. :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom