all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The 1.5 bodyweight deadlift is getting easier and easier. I'm finding myself doing mainly deadlifts, ring dips and kettlebell military presses (with the 24 and 32kg bells). Judo is taking care of anything intense-cardio related. I get out for some long walks for the LED training. I'm noticing my muscles getting significantly more "showy" from all this. That's not my main goal, but it's part of how it works.

I'll add that I think this focus on mainly absolute strength is a good idea for my judo. Judo itself is intense cardio training, so what I lack is really only absolute strength. Deadlifting 330lbs means I can easily move my opponents around, who weigh less than 220lbs. Also, the ring dips are excellent for pushing myself away from dangerous situations. Because they are not absolute strength though due to the weight limit of bodyweight, I also do the military presses - and the military presses are a different movement anyhow so good to do.

My goals are:

• Sets of 5 reps with ease with the 330lbs (1.5 bodyweight) deadlift.
  • As many reps as possible with the ring dips - I currently do 8 or 9 slow ones full motion.
  • Half bodyweight military kettlebell press for 1 rep. This means I think being able to do multiple reps with the 32kg bell - I don't know how may exactly, and with the 40kg bell. I am currently mainly doing them with the 24kg bell.

I think that dips are overall a better exercise than chinups mainly because they develop more muscles more.

I am still progressing towards Sinister. S&S is still my base program. I am NEVER stopping it.

I think that dips are overall a better exercise than chinups mainly because they develop more muscles more.

I think it might depend upon whether you have been doing more pushing than pulling over your past training. pull ups / chins, and pulling moves in general, have been unlocking a lot of strength for me as of late,

this is because I have been so push-centric for the past year

haven't you trained a lot more pulls than dips over the past years?

just a thought

I think it might depend upon whether you have been doing more pushing than pulling over your past training. pull ups / chins, and pulling moves in general, have been unlocking a lot of strength for me as of late,

this is because I have been so push-centric for the past year

haven't you trained a lot more pulls than dips over the past years?

just a thought
Oh gosh yes! My only weight lifting for the vast majority of the 41 years on earth has been chinups, pullups and commando pullups. I actually stopped doing dips while young because they seemed to do the same thing as chinups. Also, as a judo wrestler, I am always pulling at the club, so indeed it might be the fact that the dips are unlocking new found strength that is impressing me.

I think you are correct. Point well received! Thank you.

Did S&S yesterday with the 32kg bell. S&S is so much more than just lifting weights! It's a whole sport and a half! It challenges my athleticism so much - very similar to a judo workout! Simply put, S&S challenges my cardio, my endurance and my balance, and my strength in every direction.

Hey Kozushi, a bit of a silly question, but since you've been stuck on the 32 kg swings for a while... Have you had an instructor look at your technique? Raw strength can make up for poor form, but only up to a point. Maybe a slight adjustment/correct muscle activation is all you need?

Hey Kozushi, a bit of a silly question, but since you've been stuck on the 32 kg swings for a while... Have you had an instructor look at your technique? Raw strength can make up for poor form, but only up to a point. Maybe a slight adjustment/correct muscle activation is all you need?
I was actually starting to think this myself Saturday. I'm going to review carefully everything in the book and online first and see what I can manage on my own, and then see what to do from there. I think you are correct though - raw strength has taken me so far but not farther.

I was actually starting to think this myself Saturday. I'm going to review carefully everything in the book and online first and see what I can manage on my own, and then see what to do from there. I think you are correct though - raw strength has taken me so far but not farther.

meanwhile, the chinups and dips are about as low-skill as it gets

meanwhile, the chinups and dips are about as low-skill as it gets
Yes, I think you've hit on something important.
It's weird how frequently I get "Revelations" about how to improve my training. I guess at the end of the day the common thread is the fact that I own quite a lot of kettlebells and some other kinds of equipment, and so every day I'm doing "something". I just got more interested in military presses yesterday. There just is no end to this stuff!

Pressing is a lot better exercise than I had imagined. I am noticing, having focussed on it for about a month, a lot of benefits all through my body. It is definitely good for my shoulders, but I am especially surprised at how much upper body development generally I am experiencing. I though its effects would have been much more limited.

Pressing is truly one of the "golden" exercises of lifting weights!

I've been focussing on military presses for the last few weeks. My body has been sore adapting to them. I've been pressing with the 24 and 32kg bells. My highest reps with the 24 has been 9 and with the 32, 4. Presses seem good for martial arts - lots of pressing and lifting involved in Martial Arts.

It's been a bit "hard" on my body the past few weeks adjusting to heavier presses (32kg) but I am finding my suspicions about their applicability to judo to have been correct. They are giving me exactly the kind of fighting strength I need. Most judo throws start with a military press kind of lift of the opponent, and then you continue the motion to fling him over your head.

I think military pressing the best weight lifting exercise in existence.

It's easy to do, builds up the whole body a LOT, and is a practical movement for just about everything.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom