all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
There is an SFGI certification coming up in a nearby city in a few weeks that I just noticed yesterday. I'm tempted to go for the SFGI at some point, but the thing is that I do S&S and presses with the kettlebells and not snatches, and I don't have any plans to include snatches in my training program since I haven't been able to see why these would benefit me over swings, which I can do with heavier weights. I'd definitely have to train up for the snatch test and there is no guarantee I could pull it off of course. Ah, it's all too short notice anyways I suppose. I'll keep thinking about it for next time.

I did S&S yesterday completely with the 40kg bell. The last 4 sets of swings were a bit hard, but still I did it. The first 6 sets were normal. I'm sure the deadlifting has helped with moving up to 40kg in S&S, and it's also patience. It just takes time.

I'm honestly enthusiastic enough to go for my SFG license, but that's a big challenge and the next course is too soon.

Nice. How long did you work with the 40kg since you hit Simple?
I started S&S February 2016 with 16 and 24kg bells. I moved up to the 32kg bell in June. I did Naked Warrior for July and August that year. In September I continued with S&S but kind of bastardized it by moving up too early to the 40 and doing the swings 2 handed all the time. By February of 2017 I was able to on a few occasions do all the swings 1 handed, but it was a big struggle. I hurt my right shoulder doing a 1 arm chinup in March which put me back in S&S. I had to look for alternative exercises that didn't irritate my shoulder and ended up doing a lot of deadlifting, ring dips and after a while got into kettlebell pressing which really hurt at first from the shoulder injury, but I did them light and eventually my shoulder got much better and stronger from them. I started to do S&S again 2 or 3 times a week with the 32kg bell most of the time early in 2018 but gradually substituting in some sets with the 40kg bell. Yesterday I did S&S with the 32 again to not overdo it. So, in all, about 2.5 years to get to the 40! I've never met the time requirements for Simple. I've done all the swings with the 32 in 7 minutes, but never in 5. When I do S&S with the 32, it takes between 25 and 30 minutes to complete the whole thing, and with the 40, about 40 minutes.

Interesting. I've taken a couple passes at S&S but never stuck with it long enough to get to Simple, partly due to some shoulder issues that I think I've addressed. I'm currently planning on starting up again this fall and seeing how far I can get before giving in to program hopping. Helpful to hear how you got there & beyond.

Interesting. I've taken a couple passes at S&S but never stuck with it long enough to get to Simple, partly due to some shoulder issues that I think I've addressed. I'm currently planning on starting up again this fall and seeing how far I can get before giving in to program hopping. Helpful to hear how you got there & beyond.
What I like about it is that I'm sure that if I do it I'm getting a good day's full body workout - strength, cardio, balance, awareness - like playing a sport hard but better because it's full body. I'm certainly not up to doing it every day though, and this is why I need my other equipment like the barbell and the gymnastics rings.

That full-body, multi-modal training stimulus is a big part of the appeal of S&S for me. I enjoyed doing PTTP for four months, but noticed that my resting heart rate seemed to be getting worse. Also realized I didn't have any regularly scheduled explosive movements in my life.

That full-body, multi-modal training stimulus is a big part of the appeal of S&S for me. I enjoyed doing PTTP for four months, but noticed that my resting heart rate seemed to be getting worse. Also realized I didn't have any regularly scheduled explosive movements in my life.
Cardio counts, explosive movements count, multi-directional strength counts, strength endurance counts, balance counts. Limit strength training does not cover the half of it!

Based on Pavel Macek's point "the muscle is not the movement" and a point Pet made recently about the importance of being able to move your own body around I've restarted chinups.

Sets of ring dips, chinups and presses with the 32kg bell today, and also a 2 hour hike.

Something seems especially practical and natural about the dips.

Just to update my adventures in exercise, I've started running. There is no question it is the fastest way to get into shape. I still walk a lot more than run, but I think running grants far too many benefits, and fastly acquired ones, to neglect. In fact, I'd say that if it's just "shape" I'm after, running does it all. If it's "strength" I'm after, running grants moderate gains, but lifting serious weight matters too. Most people however are more after "shape" than anything else, so I can see why running has been the international staple exercise for shaping the body to what it should naturally look like.

Are you still grappling? I ask as I have gone back to BJJ recently and judo is our first hour of training and all I do on Saturday. Painful but fun.

Are you still grappling? I ask as I have gone back to BJJ recently and judo is our first hour of training and all I do on Saturday. Painful but fun.
3-4 times a week, yes. I'm working hard at getting my standing judo up to par with my ground fighting. It isn't easy by any means. I already have a black belt in judo but my whole strategy back in my competition days revolved around winning on the ground, and I did do that enough to earn a black belt. Now I'm trying to learn judo properly, hehehe.

I work out frequently with BJJ guys including some who are in our judo clubs. They are definitely the guys I like to work with in order to test and to improve my ground fighting ability. The rules for ground fighting are different though, based on a different theoretical "real fight" theory:

BJJ - the purpose is to achieve a submission with some positions like knee on belly being for striking, but the end game being the submission.

Judo - the purpose is to fully control the opponent in a way that he is not controlling you at the same time, whether this be by pin or submission.

While fighting BJJ guys with any kind of skill I MUST get to and keep top position the entire time; if so, things go well.

I've done S&S the last two days using the 32 for the swings and the 40 for the TGUs. I'll likely do the same today. Before the swings I do goblet squats and goblet curls - as many curls as possible, as the book recommends.

I like how in the TGU both arms are getting exercised at the same time for much of it.

Like I've said before it isn't like I'm so myopic as to think S&S is the only way to work out, but it seems a pretty good way to get your heart pumping hard, keep your athletic balance and flexibility up to speed, and to develop endurance strength in all directions.

So, partly based on our big argument a month ago regarding the validity of walking as an exercise and partly because I've been under the weather, I quit my 75 minute walking routine for a month and then restarted it a few days ago to see what the effects would be of stopping my walking exercise. Here are my personal anecdotal results:

1. I found the first walk after being off for a month very hard, which is funny for me since I never found it hard before.
2. I was getting lots of pains all month through my back especially my lower back from what I think is muscle atrophy and stiffness from not walking.
3. I was feeling lethargic.
4. I wasn't feeling up for weight lifting very often.
5. I ended up getting very sick.

So, basically, I think walking or something like it, such as running, is necessary as the most natural of human exercises. Without it, something is going to screw up!

Hello,

Glad to see you back !

You know, for most fighters, roadwork (be it running or walking) is an everyday requirement to both build stamina / aerobic base and also to recover.

If you feel good doing your walks, and also feel benefits from it, no matters what is said here, just stick with it ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

I agree with you @Kozushi, that walking is important. People don't walk enough these days in general. Walking is essential for back health. There's no blood vessels in discs and spine movement is needed for oxidation.

Like someone wrote during the debate, the heavier you are the more valid walking and running are as exercises since you're simply put carrying more weight with you. With each step I'm moving 220lbs, so I'm certainly getting a good workout after 75 minutes of walking!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom