all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Maybe I'm too inexperienced for this but I'm starting to develop my own theory on lifting weights for my own goals. Basically it goes like this: I want to develop strength for particular movements in life and in sport. So:

For pure strength:

• In judo I need to lift people up off their feet, so the military press at 1/3 bodyweight or heavier is my target.
  • I need to easily push myself up off the ground or an opponent, so the gymnastic rings dips are important - as many times as possible in a set!
  • I need to pick people up who are under me and fling them, so a deadlift of at least 1.5 times my bodyweight is needed to cover any opponent who weighs up to 330 lbs - well above the maximum weight for nearly anyone I'd ever do judo with! Most are no heavier than me at 220 lbs.

Also, endurance is very important. If you "gas" early in the match, you're done, no matter how strong you are, so S&S:

• I need rugged pulling and "tearing-like" power, so 1 arm swings at 1/3 my bodyweight at least (so, 32kg kettlebell)
  • I need endurance to keep my body in all sorts of crummy, weird positions, so the TGU at at least 1/3 my bodyweight also.

For variety:
  • 2handed swings with the 40 or heavier.
  • steel mace 280s - fills in some gaps and is a fun a good thing in and of itself
  • chinups

I military pressed the 40kg bell once each arm yesterday for the first time in my life.

I believe that the 32kg bell military press training will prepare me for pressing the 48kg once each arm also. I don't think it will be long before I'll have met the ROP goal of the 1/2 bodyweight 1 arm military press.

Didn't do S&S today. Instead did a bunch of presses with the 32kg bell, a bunch of deadlifts at 330lbs, and then a 4 hour hike.

Neglected S&S (including swings) too long this week and feel like crap. I need the conditioning of swings!

High weight low rep moves are really starting to win me over. My judo coach has been complimenting me on my rapid progress ever since I got seriously into deadlifts and presses. It's like my touch has become a magic wand of sorts. I don't need to use even half my strength to topple people over or hold them. I do have to say I'm agreeing with what Pavel wrote in PTTP that the deadlift covers about 90% of your strength. It's a compound move and it to me unless I'm out to lunch is also a push because you're pushing off the ground to pull the weight up! The one arm military press is a good press to do to balance it since it's an asymmetrical load and asymmetrical loads are common in sports.

Kind of funny. I've been overdoing deadlifts at 350lbs the past few days out of enthusiasm at my new found strength and got a bit sore today - HAHAHA! I guess I'll have to give it a bit of a break.

@Kozushi

what this guy recommends is very similar to what you're currently doing

Top 5 Exercises to Become a More Explosive Fighter | Wild Geese Fitness Training
Interesting. He has discovered what I think I've also discovered. Deadlift is king, no two ways about it. He's got a variety of presses in there. My opinion on the various presses is like his about pullups - the exact method doesn't matter, just do them! In my opinion, swings become important if you're not spending a lot of time on the mat - they are a kind of replacement for things you get from mat time training. But, making a special place for them in your workouts when you're already training on the mats 4 times a week - I wonder if this just makes you sore with no real benefits.

I'm affixing Kenny Croxdale's fantastic post here on the cardio etc benefits of kettlebell swings. I think this synches the question entirely! Kettlebell swings are ideal for cardio and beyond! Fantastic! Problem solved!!!

High Intensity Interval Cardio Training

Kettlebell Swing fall into the "Strint Training Category". Specifically, they are High Intensity Resistance Interval Training.

It's Real Cardio

High Intensity Interval Resistance Trainingn (HIIT) produces the same cardio training effect as High Intensity Interval Cardio Training (HIIRT)

1) Aerobic/Anaerobic Effect: Paradoxically, HIIT and HIIRT cardio training increases both your Aerobic and Anerobic capacity.

Steady State Cardio only increases your Aerobic Capacity.

Research, in one of several studies, demonstrated that HIIT increased VO2 Max more than Steady State Cardio...

(Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise (1996) 28, 1327-1330)
Forget the Fat-Burn Zone

The moderate-intensity endurance training program produced a significant increase in V02max (about 10%), but had no effect on anaerobic capacity. The high-intensity intermittent protocol improved V02max by about 14%; anaerobic capacity increased by a whopping 28%.

Dr. Tabata said, "The fact is that the rate of increase in V02max [14% for the high-intensity protocol - in only 6 weeks] is one of the highest ever reported in exercise science." (Note, the students participating in this study were members of varsity table tennis, baseball, basketball, soccer and swimming teams and already had relatively high aerobic capacities.)

Grasping Training Concepts

A monumental key to writing a great Training Program is understand Training Concepts. That means the same cardio vascular benefits can be achieved with Kettlebell Swings, as with Sprint Training. Both are intensive Resistance Protocols.

Summary

1) Research and anecdotal data demonstrate that HIIT and HIIRT increase VO2 Max. It's "Real Cardio".

2) HIIT and HIIRT increase Anaerobic Power; something Steady State Cardio does not.

3) HIIT and HIIRT also increases muscle mass. Steady State Cardio can minutely increase muscle mass. Too much Steady State interferes with Strength, Power, Speed and Hypertrophy Training.

4) HIIT and HIIRT are "Strength Training" for your cardiovascular system, heart and lungs.

5) HIIT and HIIRT increase your "Fat Burning Metabolism"; up to 9 time more than Steady State Cardio via Excess Post Oxygen Consumption (EPOC).

These are some not all of the benefits.

Kenny Croxdale

Did S&S this morning for the first time in a month. I did it with the 32 and then did some extra sets of both exercises with the 40. All went well.

I did today: deadlifts with 360lbs, S&S with 32 and 40kg, 2 hours of walking, then 90 minutes of judo under two Olympic level coaches! I feel fine.

I'm doing some deep thinking about how to go about my heavier-than-32kg S&S program. I think I want to used mixed 1 and 2h 40kg swings for the swings portion, and always do the TGUs with the 40 or 48. Power simply does matter for judoka like me, so pumping out the reps brutally hard with the 40 makes sense, knowing that I can go all out since the 2 hand grip ensures that!

I did today: deadlifts with 360lbs, S&S with 32 and 40kg, 2 hours of walking, then 90 minutes of judo under two Olympic level coaches! I feel fine.

I'm doing some deep thinking about how to go about my heavier-than-32kg S&S program. I think I want to used mixed 1 and 2h 40kg swings for the swings portion, and always do the TGUs with the 40 or 48. Power simply does matter for judoka like me, so pumping out the reps brutally hard with the 40 makes sense, knowing that I can go all out since the 2 hand grip ensures that!

walks of 2+ hours are generally very restorative and leave one with a lot of energy despite what they may have done earlier in the day

walks of 2+ hours are generally very restorative and leave one with a lot of energy despite what they may have done earlier in the day
I did a nearly 3 hour walk yesterday and again today. The deadlifts at 360lbs were super easy today. Walking for an extended period of time "does things" to the body that are very good.

I did a nearly 3 hour walk yesterday and again today. The deadlifts at 360lbs were super easy today. Walking for an extended period of time "does things" to the body that are very good.

you're a pretty strong guy to begin with..

I've noticed that long walks (not hikes) are something I do seasonally.. especially when feeling run down from life.

My college is about 2 hours away so long walks will be on the menu for me soon again.

I used to walk 1 hour to work and then 1 hour back.. kinda made my whole day better in some ways

not sure what walking does exactly, but I'm positive that I was made to walk, and that walking is a superb strength builder in it's own right

if you pay attention when you walk, as I'm sure you do, you will notice the hip flexor stretch in every step, the shoulder stretch as they move into extension repeatedly, the subtle cardio..

My feet do feel a little run down from long walks, but that's about it

you're a pretty strong guy to begin with..

I've noticed that long walks (not hikes) are something I do seasonally.. especially when feeling run down from life.

My college is about 2 hours away so long walks will be on the menu for me soon again.

I used to walk 1 hour to work and then 1 hour back.. kinda made my whole day better in some ways

not sure what walking does exactly, but I'm positive that I was made to walk, and that walking is a superb strength builder in it's own right

if you pay attention when you walk, as I'm sure you do, you will notice the hip flexor stretch in every step, the shoulder stretch as they move into extension repeatedly, the subtle cardio..

My feet do feel a little run down from long walks, but that's about it
I've read about walking and it get the two thumbs up from everyone who studies it as an exercise. If we want to explain what it is to "the great unwashed" who think it's sissy, I choose to tell them that it is a series of thousands of half-lunges. Hahaha! That does the trick! We're made to walk, which is why it's so easy to do, but which is also why if we want it to really benefit us as a strength BUILDER, we need to push its limits by walking LONG. Anyone can walk 20 minutes to the store and back to buy some milk, and I am sure that this is a good habit for everyone to have and it does maintain some kind of minimal baseline of mobility, cardio and strength for your average person, but if you push it by walking for a few hours a day, you're a recreational endurance athlete as far as I'm concerned. For years my only supplemental exercise to judo was walking and I was known as very strong by everyone I trained with and many of my training mates lifted weights seriously (including deadlifting 500lbs etc!); also my cardio endurance was better than pretty much anyone else - I could train longer than them. What I did have problems with was bursts of intense activity and handling very heavy weights; however, apart from these two things I was super strong - just from walking! I think walking handles lower body strength more than expertly - nothing additional is required at all. However, I do think that two things need to be added - a push and a pull with the arms. The pull should use the lower back, so a "big pull" according to Pavel's theory, so kettlebell swings, deadlifts, high pulls with dumbbells, cleans or snatches. I always had problems with my lower back when I was just walking and even when doing chinups - now I have ZERO problems with my lower back that I have been following Pavel's theories. The other thing is a push. I think dips are expertly good moves to do, but also any kind of press as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom