all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello @Kozushi

Walking, running, swimming, all these smooth aerobic activities are excellent and so natural. If joints are an issue, then swimming may be an option though.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @Kozushi

Walking, running, swimming, all these smooth aerobic activities are excellent and so natural. If joints are an issue, then swimming may be an option though.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I don't like the look personally of swimmers' bodies - our musculature is designed primarily for use on land, but yes, swimming is a good replacement if walking isn't possible, or if someone simply enjoys swimming more than walking.

Everyone is different. I guess there are some people who can just train with weights and don't need to walk - I do believe that if you do the right thing with weights that you'll get more than adequate cardio training out of it. My body needs to be modelled back into its right shape through the natural stress of walking, I think.

I'm still frustratingly not well enough to engage in a full S&S routine. I love the routine so much. Instead I've been doing C&P with the 32 and 40kg bells, and for the heck of it some sets of 10 2h swings with the 48. If I manage to press the 48, I'll let everyone know. I'm probably not far from doing that.

Knowing how to work out is a very important thing in life. I am very grateful to Strong First for the education I have gotten and continue to get in this area, which has had an enormous impact on my life for the better.

Did a light day of S&S today with the 32. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow if I want to do it again with the 40 or not. I've been playing with 1 handed racked front squats with the 32 and up. The TGU involves this kind of asymmetrical squat, in a kind of lunging stance, but it's still a squat! As my long term goal is to do the entire S&S routine regularly with the 48, I can see this kind of training as one of the helping moves towards getting there.

Hello @Kozushi

Everytime, I like reading your log :)

Do you do some skipping rope ?

It works pretty well (at least for me) as a sweet aerobic activity. I feel like it clean my body after grueling sessions. Plus, it transfers well to balance and good footwork.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @Kozushi

Everytime, I like reading your log :)

Do you do some skipping rope ?

It works pretty well (at least for me) as a sweet aerobic activity. I feel like it clean my body after grueling sessions. Plus, it transfers well to balance and good footwork.

Kind regards,

Pet'
I do it without the rope. The rope is just annoying.

I did S&S yesterday with the 32 for the squats and swings, and the 40 for the getups, then did 90 minutes of judo. The judo felt pretty easy!

Went for a 75 minute walk. It definitely feels like I've worked out. It stretches and strengthens things in my lower back to prevent and cure back pain, it keeps my heart rate at about 120 bpm for most of the walk which is double my resting heart rate yet not at my maximum heart rate (thank goodness!), and it develops and maintains balance and alertness let alone being a good thing to do to just "get out" for a bit for its psychological benefits. This kind of thing wouldn't have had to be programmed 100 years ago, but in our modern car-based society, it needs to be.

Did another 75 minute walk today. It feels like significant exercise. A few days ago I proclaimed I'd do S&S every day no matter what, but I'm going to reneg on that. I'll _intend_ to do it every day, but I won't get perplexed if I don't do it every day. I do judo and go for long walks also, so I'm not always feeling well enough to go through the intensity of the swings. I'd like to do it tonight but right now I still need to let my body rest up from the walk. In any case, walking is great if it's done long enough! I sweat like mad, get my heart rate up to 120-140 bpm and keep it there for most of the walk, and it prevents at least in my case back pain, let alone maintaining alertness, balance and a base line of strength proportional to my bodyweight of 220 lbs.

Yesterday walked for 75 minutes, did 30 nonstop 2h swings with the 40kg bell, 2 sets of 1- 2h swings with the 48kg bell, 100 S&S 1h swings with the 32kg bell, then the 10 TGUs with the 40kg bell.

Today I did a 2 hour walk followed later in the day with 90 minutes of intense judo. The walking primed me up well for the judo and didn't tire me out for it one bit.

I may as well post some pictures I just took of myself. I'm not in tip top shape having just come off of a bad month long flu, and haven't done S&S for a few days, but in spite of these problems I've done S&S 4 times over the past week and some good amount of walking, so it gives you an idea of how in spite of not being in perfect condition, S&S seems to do the trick.
20190104_145545.jpg 20190104_145506.jpg

Yesterday did 90 minutes of judo then came home and did S&S entirely with the 40kg bell. I did 8 sets of 10 and then 4 sets of 5 swings with it followed by the TGUs. I started with goblet curls.

I couldn't do S&S so well before. I'm definitely making progress. Judo is also getting better and better for me. They're different skills but they're both developing in tandem.

I'll aim for about every second day for S&S. Today I'm planning to do others of the "big 6" moves after judo. I'm thinking of snatching and C&Ping the 32kg. I should probably also do double front squats with two 32s.

Did S&S today (I don't write on this blog every time I do S&S of course!) with the 40kg bell for the 1h swings in sets of 5 up to 60 times but started feeling like I was not getting enough power in them with my right hand so I switched to the 32kg bell for the remaining 40 swings and did them in sets of 10 as per normal. Then I did the TGUs with the 40kg bell.

I'm recording this session here mainly because I had a thought today. It would seem I've "regressed" since a week ago I was doing the 100 swings with the 40kg bell. I'm going to "blame" judo for this. In judo we're gripping for the entire time. You get simply put sore in the grip so going heavier with swings gets a bit hard. Luckily the 32kg is not too heavy for me no matter how much judo so I can still keep to the S&S standard of always doing it with at least a 32kg bell to "be ready for anything" out there!

What a great program S&S is!!!

I might do a day of just 2h swings as per the book this week. I'll see.

Did 90 minutes of intense judo last night. Great exercise! It is like a sort of interval training - we do everything in spurts.

S&S yesterday:
goblet curls and bodyweight only squats for warmup
100 1h swings with the 32
TGUs: 4 with the 40, 6 with the 48, 2 more with the 40

Doing a few deadlifts a day for the past few weeks I think has raised up my TGU strength to the 48kg bell.

I rely on deadlifts and kettlebell presses to such an extent that I've added PTTP in the title of my blog here. I don't think there is any question that PTTP builds more strength and muscle than S&S or ROP. If we consider the simple fact of "working out" the body for maximum activation of the most muscles, PTTP has to win over the other two programs, and it does so in a mere fraction of the time! It comes as no surprise that PTTP was the only widely promoted program of Pavel's for a long time until ROP and S&S much later. So, to recap, in terms of strict muscular development and strength, PTTP is far ahead. However, this doesn't make it better in absolute terms than S&S (can't speak too much for ROP since I've only done it in spurts here and there) since S&S trains violent, enduring motion through the swings and complicated balance, endurance through the TGUs. The way I like to put it is PTTP is a pure strength building body building program, which can backup a sport, but S&S is itself a sport which can also backup another sport if you like. I think violent motions as in S&S count a lot too, but again, if we're talking just getting stronger and bigger muscles, PTTP wins.

However, because of S&S and judo, I do a hacked version of PTTP, which is heavy singles with the deadlift followed by heavy low rep presses with the kettlebell. I've got the bar set to 370lbs and I'll do 1, 2 (usually), or 3 reps with it at a time, often only once a day. I do sets of 3 with the 32kg kettlebell for presses. It all keeps me looking and feeling like a tank. I would never have thought of such a routine without the book.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom