all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Moving up from the 24 to the 32.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

NormanOsborn

Level 5 Valued Member
I haven't done S&S for months, although I have been working out in the gym regularly. I decided to start light; my first session was 10 x 10 one handed Swings with the 16. Tonight, I did 10 x 10 two handed Swings with the 24.

I don't know it it's muscle memory from all the S&S I did last year when the gyms were closed, the strength I've built up with the Barbells, or both. But the 24 flew up on every set. Literally: I was Swinging the Bell above head height and it felt easy.

Now, should I move up to the 32 for my next session, or slowly add in one-handed Swings with the 24 until I can do 10 x 10 single-handed?

What were you doing when you stopped doing S&S? If you have been continuing to work on strength since you stopped, I don't see a reason you can't jump back in pretty quick to where you left off. I stopped doing S&S for about 3 years, and it only took about a month for me to get back to where I had left off with almost no strength training in between and only Jiu Jitsu during that layoff.

What were you doing when you stopped doing S&S? If you have been continuing to work on strength since you stopped, I don't see a reason you can't jump back in pretty quick to where you left off. I stopped doing S&S for about 3 years, and it only took about a month for me to get back to where I had left off with almost no strength training in between and only Jiu Jitsu during that layoff.

I was Swinging the32 with two hands, occasionally doing a few single handed reps.

If that bell is so light that you have trouble keeping it at your chest without turning the power way down, I'd suggest from physical considerations that you have the power to bring the next bell up to chest height, or close to it, depending on the size of the weight jump/your anthropometry. Something you might worry about is whether you have muscles that are not ready to express some other aspect of the movement, e.g. if the low back is not ready to stabilize the spine during the hinge despite having the glute/leg strength to pop a heavy weight to chest height.

I'd say work a couple sets in cautiously and see how it goes.

To me 2 handed swings are so much easier than one handed swings that I don't think they are a good metric for progress for S&S.

So unless your 1 handed swings are also too easy with the 24kg KB I would vote: stick with what the S&S book says!

-> Use 1 handed swings and do 2 handed swings only in every 3rd or every other workout.
-> Use step loading and introduce a heavier KB 2 sets at a time and make progress only every couple of weeks.

If you are impatient you could still use the heavier KB for your 2 handed swing days.

I haven't done S&S for months, although I have been working out in the gym regularly. I decided to start light; my first session was 10 x 10 one handed Swings with the 16. Tonight, I did 10 x 10 two handed Swings with the 24.

I don't know it it's muscle memory from all the S&S I did last year when the gyms were closed, the strength I've built up with the Barbells, or both. But the 24 flew up on every set. Literally: I was Swinging the Bell above head height and it felt easy.

Now, should I move up to the 32 for my next session, or slowly add in one-handed Swings with the 24 until I can do 10 x 10 single-handed?

Now that you're barbell strong, just skip the 1H swings and go to 2 x KB swings. ;)

You still get anti-rotation work (especially if you use unequal weights) and you get more of a systemic training effect because the weight is higher.

I don't bother with 1H swings any more -- they feel like a waste of time compared to double KB work.

If I want to do something ballistic and 1 handed, I'll snatch or clean. ;)

I think the newest updated and revised edition of S&S covers all of your questions. My recommendation is to follow the instructions in the book. When deciding where to restart your practice, my experience has shown me to error on the lighter side when starting or restarting a program. Believe me, you will get where you need to be soon enough.

Good Luck!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom