all posts post new thread

Nutrition mTOR Signaling & Growth (Mammalian Target of Rapamycin)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Research indicate the Ketogenic Diet protects and spare Leucine from being used for fuel. Source: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, Volek and Phinney

That's a worthwhile tweak.....

Additional research show that the amino acid, Alanine is converted to glucose, sparing Leucine.

And as it is converted to glucose, why not use the protein for protein and have a banana for the ready made glucose?

Kenny...we are almost in agreement...you have workaround hacks for your specific needs....which are solidly researched and applied.
But for others unnecessary if their health is not compromised.
I'm of the 'earn your carbs' view as a simple framework.
There is value to that....using insulin to store glucose post training with mTor and glut4 non-insulinogenic transporters being online too. For an insulin sensitive person this is a really easy strategy. And at other times, less starch and fast acting glucose is minimised.
That's about it for me. No calorie counting, no shakes and what not. Just good food. I try to eat more protein from mixed sources after training but that's all I do. And sometimes not for 2 hours.
If anything I seek to optimise is my response to stress and sleep, then food and cooking. Stressed and undersleeping creates an uphill struggle. Crack that, nutrition sort of becomes optimised without any real intent.

In the new article about Pavels new book he says intermittent fasting, caloric restriction , and cold is good for us. If this is true and it's said you can build muscle on this new program, doesn't that fly in the face of having to have the leucine pulses?

In the new article about Pavels new book he says intermittent fasting, caloric restriction , and cold is good for us. If this is true and it's said you can build muscle on this new program, doesn't that fly in the face of having to have the leucine pulses?

No

Your interpretation of this information amounts to viewing being more productive by avoid sleep and relaxation (playtime) and constantly focus on work.

It doesn't work that way.

Intermittent Fasting and Calorie Restriction

These methods provide for some heath benefits. Essentially, they allow the body to take out the garbage.

However, Intermittent Fasting and Calorie Restriction is not anabolic.

As Dr Jose Antonio basically stated, "Eating is anabolic"; increasing muscle mass and at time body fat, dependent on your diet.

Cold and Heat

Cold and Heat place stress on the body producing "Heat Shock Proteins" which assist with recovery.

Leucine and Exercise

Two of the main reasons individual lose muscle mass is due to not consuming enough protein (Leucine) per meal/serving and not exercising.

This is especially true with older individual. Research determined that "Pulse Feeding" enabled them to maintain and in some instance increase muscle mass by consuming higher protein intake in Leucine rich foods.

Excellent Podcast On This

1) Dr Donald Layman: Protein Metabolism

2) Dr Gabrielle Lyon: Muscle Growth Science, mTOR & Leucine

3) Dr Keith Baar: mTor Signaling & Cell Growth: Targeting via Ketogenic Diet & Fasting

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven..."
Ecclesiastes

This same applies to...

1) Refractory Eating: Eating every 4 - 6 hours which optimizes Muscle Protein Synthesis.

2) No snacking between meals.

3) Consuming the right amount of Leucine with each meal to trigger mTOR, an anabolic effect.

5) Periodization Training Programs that provides for Active Recovery.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
I like to drink coffee in the morning and beer at night, both of which I understand inhibit mtor. Does anyone know how long I should wait after consuming coffee or alcohol before ingesting Leucine to trigger mtor?

On A Side Note

1) High Intensity Resistance Training or HIIT Cardio Training turn on mTOR.

2) Endurance Training shut off mTOR and increase AMP-k.

Thus, someone who has an High Intensity Resistance Training Session and then follows it with Endurance Cardio has negated most of the anabolic muscle building effect of their Resistance Training.

Hi,
Interesting thread.
First question: what about GTG (Grease the Groove) training for 3 or 4 exercises (total: 25-30 easy sets spread out during all the day; 2-3 easy sets every hour). Does it trigger mTOR or AMPK? I have this question, because this isn't endurance, but neither high intensity strength training.

Second: same question for A+A training.

Third: Same 2 questions but when training fasted (GTG and A+A).

Best,

First question: what about GTG (Grease the Groove) training for 3 or 4 exercises (total: 25-30 easy sets spread out during all the day; 2-3 easy sets every hour). Does it trigger mTOR or AMPK? I have this question, because this isn't endurance, but neither high intensity strength training.

Second: same question for A+A training.

Third: Same 2 questions but when training fasted (GTG and A+A).

interesting question. I seen any specific answer to your questions.

Base on what I have found, it appears that the time (duration) and intensity of the exercise and the mode (strength or cardio endurance) dictate the magnitude of mTOR or AMP-k.

Maybe you can find some information on it and post it.

interesting question. I seen any specific answer to your questions.

Base on what I have found, it appears that the time (duration) and intensity of the exercise and the mode (strength or cardio endurance) dictate the magnitude of mTOR or AMP-k.

Maybe you can find some information on it and post it.
Same here. Studies are mainly done on duration, intensity and mode. My guess is that there isn't a significant metabolic change during GTG done during all the day. The metabolic stress is low. GTG when fasted probably promotes AMPK. For A+A, the question remains open.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom