all posts post new thread

Barbell Multiple questions about using the Grease the Groove routine for leg strength.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Antti, please also keep in mind that much of what's been written about the deadlift is aimed at people who also squat and bench. I don't do three-lift meets any more, just deadlift, so many things are different.

-S-

Steve, that is exactly what I was referring to in the later part of my last post. I agree. At the moment I only use the squat rack for hanging from its bar and the bench for sitting. So I play by different rules.

@Antti, our messages crossed. I think you're thinking about this correctly.

I also don't recall how new you are to deadlifting, but as you start to reach what's truly heavy for you, you may find the deadlift more taxing, or hey, you may not. The only real lesson I've learned about the deadlift, having been doing it for 10-15 years now, is that when I think I understand how to train it, I'm right for a cycle or two but then I'm wrong. :) I find that I need to vary my approach to keep making progress, and also to periodically drop it from my training altogether.

-S-

@Antti, our messages crossed. I think you're thinking about this correctly.

I also don't recall how new you are to deadlifting, but as you start to reach what's truly heavy for you, you may find the deadlift more taxing, or hey, you may not. The only real lesson I've learned about the deadlift, having been doing it for 10-15 years now, is that when I think I understand how to train it, I'm right for a cycle or two but then I'm wrong. :) I find that I need to vary my approach to keep making progress, and also to periodically drop it from my training altogether.

-S-

Yes it seems the messages came out at the same time. I left the computer after my post and it didn't cross my mind to check when you posted yours.

I'm very new to the barbell deadlift. If the gym was dry land and I was a fish, I'd still be beating. So far I have managed to lift 200kg for a PR but I believe I have long to go. I believe my programs and experiences will vary greatly as I get more reps under my (imaginary) belt.

I have often read and heard that the deadlift takes a lot of time to recover from. I'm not sure I so far agree. Maybe things change when things get heavier. I also suspect that it has a lot to do with how one trains; maybe the DL suffers more from the bench press and the squat than other way round. So as I do not train much else than the DL I do not find the recovery requirements that drastic.

Deadlift Recovery Time

It has to do with how you train as well as if you are a novice, intermediate or advance lifter.

As Steve noted, if you're training the Squat and Bench Press that cuts into your recovery time.

If you examine a Powerlifter's training, you find that they usually Deadlift about once a week. Some Deadlift every 10-14 days due need for lower back recovery.

"Everything Works But Nothing Works Forever"

If you're making progress in your program stick with it. When it stops working, then you need to change something. That one of the reasons Periodization Training (Planned Changes) work.

Kenny Croxdale

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom