all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Murph Challenge Training

EASY DAY!

1/2 mile run, then:

Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

• EMOM for 12 minutes plus one round of 1 pull-up, 2 pushups, and 3 squats for half the volume (25 pull-ups, 50 pushups, 75 squats) of my Saturday session.

Then, run 1/2 mile

Total Time: 22 minutes

HARD DAY!

1-mile run, then:

RUNG 1:
Pull-ups x 1
Pushups x 2
Squats x 3

RUNG 2:
Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

RUNG 3:
Pull-ups x 3
Pushups x 6
Squats x 9

RUNG 4:
Pull-ups x 4
Pushups x 8
Squats x 12

That's 1 Ladder!

- I performed 7 Ladders plus one Ladder of 2/4/6 and 3/6/9 for a total of 75 pull-ups, 150 pushups, and 225 squats (3/4 Murph)

I took slightly longer rest breaks during the 5th - 7th Ladders (I started to feel nauseous during the 4th Ladder from pushing the pace).

Then, 1-mile run.

The one-mile run at the end always sucks. It's never a cardio issue, it's the fact that my legs feel like they have concrete in them!

TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes

Next Saturday is my last Hard session before the Murph, and I will probably perform both 1-mile runs but only half the Murph.

I'm always in a state of muscle fatigue when I perform these Saturday sessions as my Friday BuiltStrong Minimalist workout has Weighed Pull-ups, DB Floor Presses, and high-volume Goblet Squats.

That's fine for now (fatigue masks fitness), and I'll be sure to have the entire weekend to rest before performing the Murph on Memorial Day.

EASY DAY!

1/2 mile run, then:

Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

• EMOM for 20 minutes (40 pull-ups, 80 pushups, 120 squats)

Then, 1/2 mile run

Total Time: 29 minutes

I have one more Hard session this Saturday.

I'll perform a Medium session the Tuesday after that, then just my BuiltStrong Minimalist sessions until the Murph Challenge on Memorial Day.

CHANGE OF PLANS!

Today was supposed to be my Hard session. However, due to a very stressful week, I knew I didn't have the energy or mindset for a hard day.

I made today an Easy session and Tuesday will be my last Hard session before The Murph Challenge on Memorial day.

EASY SESSION:

Pull-ups x 2
Pushups x 4
Squats x 6

- EMOTM for 25 minutes (50 pull-ups, 100 pushups, 150 squats)

No running since I had no energy or desire to do so.

My son and I do Murph together every year. He works in law enforcement and wears his body armor and I use only my body weight.

My training is a basic Strongfirst body weight program. I do a push, pull, and a squat three days a week. Waving the load. Conditioning work consists of running, rucking, mountain biking, jumping rope, and snow shoeing. Conditioning is done three days a week. The rest day is dedicated to stretching, walking, and mobility. I do this all year round.

We don’t take our Murph too seriously but enjoy the challenge and it’s a great way for me to spend time with my son. We both are sore for a few days after. Good way to gauge fitness.

My son and I do Murph together every year. He works in law enforcement and wears his body armor and I use only my body weight.

My training is a basic Strongfirst body weight program. I do a push, pull, and a squat three days a week. Waving the load. Conditioning work consists of running, rucking, mountain biking, jumping rope, and snow shoeing. Conditioning is done three days a week. The rest day is dedicated to stretching, walking, and mobility. I do this all year round.

We don’t take our Murph too seriously but enjoy the challenge and it’s a great way for me to spend time with my son. We both are sore for a few days after. Good way to gauge fitness.
That's great!!! I love hearing this. Way to go!

CHANGE OF PLANS!

I was about to start my Murph training session when I took a look at tomorrow's BuiltStrong Minimalist session.

I have more than 50 Chin-ups and more than 70 Dips! This is week 6, and it's the highest volume week.

So, I'm NOT performing a Murph training session today as there is too much overlap.

I warmed up as usual and am just doing some Easy Strength training today.

I'll crush The Murph Challenge on Memorial day!

I did the 1-2-3-4 ladder for Murph this morning and 100% agree it is the superior method.

Last year I did the classic method of 1 round every 2 minutes, which lets you finish the PT in under 40 minutes. I finished the PT in just a hair over 29 minutes this year for a total time of 51:58 with the vest.

Fantastic method, thank you!

I did the 1-2-3-4 ladder for Murph this morning and 100% agree it is the superior method.

Last year I did the classic method of 1 round every 2 minutes, which lets you finish the PT in under 40 minutes. I finished the PT in just a hair over 29 minutes this year for a total time of 51:58 with the vest.

Fantastic method, thank you!
Niiiiiccceee! I'm glad it worked well for you.

That's a GREAT time with a vest!

My fastest time was 46 minutes in 2018 with the vest (and 38 minutes without a weighted vest in 2017).

I will NOT be using a weighted vest this year as I'm just getting through shoulder issues and elbow tendonitis.

Today and tomorrow are rest days (I had a high-volume BuiltStrong session on Friday with weighted Pull-ups, DB Floor Presses, and Goblet Squats).

We had unusually cool weather this morning (I'm in Florida). I'm hoping it will be like that Monday morning for The Murph Challenge as it has always been hot and humid on Memorial day which definitely affects my speed of completion.

Hello , That's an impressive training schedule for The Murph Challenge! Your use of Russian Ladders seems to be an effective approach for completing the pull-ups, pushups, and squats. Keep up the great work and good luck with your preparation for the challenge!

My son and I did Murph on Friday. We do 3 pull ups, 6 pushups, and 9 squats for 34 sets.

Enjoy your Murph everyone.

Back
Top Bottom