all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Muscle Hypertrophy beneficial in commencing a bodyweight program?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

James M

First Post
Hi there, my name is James, I'm new to the forums, and I hope you can give me some advice. I'm about to start a new journey. I'm committing to a program of bodyweight training based on the progressions outlined in the book Convict Conditioning. I want to become strong! I want to learn to powerfully connect with my body, develop great posture, and learn to move correctly. I've been completely sedentary for the past 10 years, and I'm really really untrained. I'm also a really skinny hardgainer. 6ft tall, 62kg (137lb). Seeing I'm so skinny, I was thinking of doing some heavy weights training ALONGSIDE the beginner bodyweight progressions, doing this for 1.5 to 3 months for muscle hypertrophy at the start of the bodyweight program. I want to see some changes in my body, and I probably won't see any for a long time on the bodyweight program. I know I can pack on at least 5kg (11lb), even up to 10kg (22lb) in 3 months of proper heavy weight training. I observed some strength coaches used the strategy of initial muscle hypertrophy to build strength gains on in lifting sports. Paul Wade briefly says in his book that additional muscle mass isn't a hindrance to progression in bodyweight training but body fat is definitely a hindrance to progression.
But I am starting to question whether gaining that much muscle will be advantageous, and think it may actually hinder my progress. 5kg-10kg may still be a lot of extra weight when I get to the harder progressions. (Also I wonder how often would I have to train with heavy weights to maintain my weight gains after the initial 1.5-3 month period?)

So will this additional muscle be advantageous to my strength gains in bodyweight progressions? Or will it actually be a hindrance to my LONG TERM progress due to not allowing my body to first adapt to the easier progressions, and the additional weight making the later progressions much harder? Would it benefit me to forego the heavy weights, and focus solely on the bodyweight progressions?
Thanks for your help in advance.

If you're new to training I'd start things as simply as possible. I think you'd fare better if you chose either weightlifting or bodyweight training independently of each other. Maybe do them in blocks of two months or such.

Another option is a little more advanced, but it is possible to pick a movement or two, in your case preferably bodyweight, and train them GTG style, every day, and do the weightlifting a couple of times a week or so.

PS. I would really recommend the Naked Warrior book to be read alongside Convict Conditioning. Not necessarily on the movements per se, but on the manner to do them.

+1 to what @Antti said. I wouldn't worry about trying to expertly mesh dual programs. You'll do yourself a huge favor if you pick one program and stick to it, with diligence and consistency, for 2-3 months before you introduce anything new.

Also +1 to the Naked Warrior comment. Even if you choose to do the CC stuff exactly as described in the book (not a bad idea), the technical pointers in NW are pretty invaluable.

I don't care what you do for a program but you need to eat everything in sight. Thats not a healthy weight.

James, thanks for posting. My 20-yr old son is also 6 ft tall and barely 130lb. He eats everything he can make himself eat, but he just has never liked eating very much, and when he's done, he's done. I've never seen him overeat, no matter how much he likes what he's eating. And he often goes hungry without realizing it. He does a lot of hiking (just returned from 6 months in Colorado) but no other training. We're doing a bit of kettlebell work now, so we'll see if that helps. Anyway I'm glad to see your questions and the suggestions from others. Best of luck to you, and welcome.

@James M, welcome to StrongFirst.

I suggest asking elsewhere about the bodyweight program you want to follow; it's not one of ours. I realize your questions are of a somewhat general nature but ...

-S-

Thanks for your comments.

@Steve Freides , I posted here because you guys include barbell strength training in your certifications. I thought you guys may have better input re: the weight training. I'm not really looking for advice on the bodyweight program itself.

I'd like to hear some opinions on whether y'all think the weight training would be:
advantageous, disadvantageous (or make no difference) to progressing in a bodyweight program for the reasons I mentioned in my original post (will that extra "bulk" of muscle help my strength, or will the extra weight just make the bodyweight exercises harder for myself). I think it's probably a bit of a hard/ subjective question...
I'm considering just starting the bodyweight stuff... as there's room for "growth" (pun intended) down the line

@KernLittle - it's healthy, it just looks sh*thouse!

Last edited:
If your goals lie solely in proficiency in bodyweight exercises, most of your training should be doing them. There's a reason why bodybuilders do fewer pull-ups than rock climbers.

@James M, ok, but then why aren't you doing a barbell hypertrophy program and not the bodyweight one you've said you're committed to doing? There are resources like Pavel's book, Beyond Bodybuilding, Dan John's Mass Made Simple, and the 20-rep squat program, just to name a few.

-S-

@James M, I will second the idea that you seem to have a two different goals right now; put on mass, and improve bodyweight training. Oftentimes in training, dual goals are hard to complete. It may be best to focus on one for a good chunk of training sessions before moving to another goal. Just a piece of advice and two cents

James, as you point out, its not unhealthy to be at that weight, although I think you also know it would be nice to at least have a little more muscle. I think once you start a real program, even if its not geared towards hypertrophy, your appetite will grow and you will start putting on muscle mass. It takes a more concerted effort for a 170lb person to put on muscle mass than a 140 lb person of the same height at least from what I gather. I'm also very skinny. I was 145 lbs at 6 feet tall last year. Doing daily Simple and Sinister with long rests, near daily, I went up to 155 lbs and I'm not even at 24 kg bell yet. And that is NOT a hypertrophy protocol, especially with the long rests. Its geared towards neurological strenght. But when you start from such low muscle mass (as I did) any kind of CONSISTENT strength training will probably put on mass, and your appetite will grow, which might actually be the key thing that happens for those of us who don't naturally eat a lot and tend to stay skinny. Its hard to keep on weight gained through force feeding against your will and impulses, but when you exert yourself daily and feel hungry more often, you naturally increase your daily food intake as long as you listen to your stomach and eat when hungry.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I'm a bit clearer now. I have been a little confused by having 2 different goals and trying to somehow combine them. They need to be separate. I need to move towards my goal. I think for now I will keep doing the bodyweight training, and perhaps sometime in the future I will carve out a few months dedicated to heavy weight training.

Regarding my weight: I am a true hardgainer!: although I eat a "man's size" serving of food, it's been really hard for me to gain any weight at all in the past without combining heavy weight training. I will try again in the future :) Your comments have been encouraging.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom