all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Muscle Up

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PigCrusader

First Post
Hi! Recently i have been trying to do muscle ups, but i failed every time. I dont know if i have the strong or if im doing the technique wrong. I watched tons of tutorials about how to, but i couldnt do it from the videos. Any suggestions? it would be helpful

Hello.
I think that your post is in the wrong section but someone will move it eventually.
To achieve a successful muscle up on the average 10 pull ups is a good number to have in the bank to start working in the muscle up. Then you need to start working on explosive pull ups (get your chest above the bar and clapping or just releasing the bar and then getting back to it). Do a few sets with low number of reps, as you need to be fresh to perform these kind of pull ups.
Another important aspect is the technique, such as your wrists positioning. You need to bend your wrists so that your hands are on top of the bar. The bar should touch the bottom of your palm, close to your wrist. Another thing you need to work in the beginning is the initial swing, as you won't be able to perform a strict MU. Swing your legs forwards and use that momentum to get yourself on top of the bar and slowly slowly aim to reduce that swing.
Some people use a resistance band as well to help them especially on the final part of the muscle up.
And dips will help you as well. Not at parallel bars but on the pull up bar, of course if there is a lower one.
It might be easier for you to achieve a ring muscle up than a bar muscle up, so you can try working on that as well.
I hope it helps.

Got it recently and I absolutely agree with the @daniel vintila, explosive pull ups are the key, been doing those chest to bar for like three months and out of nowhere one day trying to do it I just got up easily.

Hello,

A few threads on the topics:

Kind regards,

Pet'

talk about tutorial, there are tons of bad one, especially about calisthenics.

I like this tutorial from Fitness F.A.Q (I knew him since 2011-2012 on bar-barians forum, where Littlebeastm and IRONL00 used to share there training - they were all very smart)

Basically, the advices in the video are:
- break the muscle up into different parts and train them properly.
- for explosive pulling power, you need to train explosive. High pull is recommended bay Daniel.
- the transition (if you aim for ring muscle up) is the hardest part, but the good news is you only need to train it for ring muscle up.
- add some straight bar dips here and there.

So you break down the hard lifts into smaller and easier ones, train them as a skill. Enter Strongfirst. You can use Strongfirst methods/proven rep scheme for muscle up.

For example, you train muscle up as the main upper body exercise; and you do it 3 days per week.
You decide to work on high pull up and straight bar dips every day in those 3 day.
The first day could be like:
High pull:
20 minute total
Ladder of 1-2-3-4-5; with all the rep at the same height (chest for example)
Dips:
5 x 5
The second day could be like:
High pull:
20 minute total
Ladder of 1-2-3
Dips: 5 x 5
The third day could be like:
High pull:
20 minute total:
Ladder of 1-2-3-4
Dips: 5 x 5

After a month or two you increase the difficult of high pull by increasing the height of the pull.
For dips I have no idea.

After two or three months when you really nail the high pull you will have much higher chance to get the first non-kipping muscle up. From that you can practice single and double with muscle up like every single day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom