all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Music Whilst Training

Despite the thread name, I don't even listen to music while training.

If I'm in a weightlifting block I watch weightlifting meets, and if I'm hypertrophy block I watch meathead bodybuilder extreme training stuff like "we take these powerlifters and make them do high rep leg day until they puke in the garbage can."

Mostly podcasts these days. Sometimes music. Both depend on the day. I like to listen to podcasts about training if I can find ones I like. I used to train to heavy music a lot, but the past few years I've adopted a less amped-up training mindset and like to maintain a chill attitude while I train.

I listen to Pandora.

If it is a lower intensity training block, I listen to my Camper Van Beethoven station. It's a good shuffle with old REM, The Replacements, Uncle Tupelo, Dinosaur Jr, The Meat Puppets and many other good bands.

If it is a higher intensity training block, I listen to my 80s New Wave station. It's a more up tempo shuffle with Devo, Cure, Joy Division, The Cult, Blondie and many other good bands.

I'm sure you can get a pretty good idea of how old I am by my music selection!

Last edited:
If it is a moderate session or a run - podcasts: MartyrMade, Minimum Effective Dose, Barbell Logic, Lexicon Valley, Fieldcraft Survival, Jordan Peterson, Dark Horse, History of English, Lord of Spirits, Industrial Strength Show, The Symbolic World, Tactical Fitness Report, The Glenn Show, Good Faith Effort, Jocko Unravelling, and Mike Force are common selections, depending what is out and what interests me. Some always pop to the top of the list when I see a new episode (like MartyrMade and Jocko Unravelling).

If it is a harder session or a bad brain day where I can't focus, music: I have two speeds - rock and ... folk country? I dunno the genre exactly ... Rock - lately Powerwolf, Nirvana, Five Finger Death Punch, Primordial, and Wardruna have been making a lot of appearances. Rob Bailey and the Hustle Standard is fun sometimes. Folk Country are groups like Poor Mans Poison; Slaid Cleaves; Goodnight, Texas; Crooked Still; The Dead South; Tyminski; SteelDrivers; Blue Moon Rising; Whiskey Myers...

I practice at 5 am, so to avoid waking everyone up I don’t listen to/watch anything. One day I hope to add more insulation and/or sound deadening in the garage so maybe that will change in the future, but for now you can hear everything when in my son’s room so I have to keep it down. I can’t do headphones when strength training, silence suits me better.

Last edited:
Sometimes NPR (news), sometimes "oldies" (70s/80s rock), sometimes podcasts (Snap Judgement, This American Life, Science of Running podcast, etc), sometimes nothing.

I never understood people who couldn't lift without their music, but then again, I was a competitive swimmer and spending hours hearing very little is par for the course, and I remember a time before everyone lifted with earphones in.

I can’t concentrate if I play music. Don’t know why. At the gym, I’m there at 4am, before the gym stereo is on, so I listen to meat heads grunting or MMA guys hissing as they attack the bags and pads. Also the odd conversation I don’t want to hear. Background music is fine but if I have headphones in it just distracts me for some reason.

I prefer audio book/podcast... I like to listen to audio books like cam Hanes, david goggins etc... every so often if I'm not feeling it I will put on music (mainly rap)

First thing in the morning, while morning calisthenics I listen the metronome, 60 bpm. No music, just click, click, click. I'm totally focus on breathing and muscle contraction.
The only one time when I listen something while training is during running, or rucking, and I listen Jocko podcast.

depend on the gym that I train.
The previous gym plays Vietnamese pop music. I feel ..cringe. But sometime I have a chance to choose a play list.
The current gym has a huge TV and users can choose what to see. We end up watching Lu and other Chinese lifters from ATG channel or similar...Have to say that's the only time we love the Chinese ;)

So I’ve been playing with the dopamine hack of flipping a coin to determine if I get music for a workout. Per an Andrew Huberman podcast on Dopamine/ADHD.

When fates determine I can have music, it’s usually something upbeat: Wu-Tang, DMX, Tribe Called Quest, 5FDP, Pantera, Eminem, etc. I like other stuff, but lifting music needs to pump me up and I just can’t get down with my other favorites like Clutch, Tool, etc with longer/more technical stuff.

depend on the gym that I train.
The previous gym plays Vietnamese pop music. I feel ..cringe. But sometime I have a chance to choose a play list.
The current gym has a huge TV and users can choose what to see. We end up watching Lu and other Chinese lifters from ATG channel or similar...Have to say that's the only time we love the Chinese ;)

why aren't you watching that kid K'Duong and his record breaking? ;)

Last edited:
Depends on the training. If I do S&S session for example, I listen to anything I’m very familiar with. If I listen to something that’s rather new to me, it takes more focus out of the training as I listen to the music in a different way. I could never listen to a podcast and do get ups with a heavy bell at the same time. What if someone cracks a hilarious joke at a crucial moment... ? When I go for a walk, that’s when I tend to listen to podcasts.

I can't listen to podcasts when I train. It takes too much effort first to hear absolutely all of what they say, and then think what to make of what they say. However, it is a good choice when I do some monotonic and unimportant exercise, like shoveling snow or mowing the lawn.

If I had the choice, I would typically listen to music when training. Some kind of aggressive metal or rock. I like to feel the music, get into it a bit. But I'm wary of not doing it too much or having the same thing on too often.

Back
Top Bottom