all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Music Whilst Training

I have never listened to music with working out, exercising, or practicing kettlebell.
I may be crazy but I find it very distracting. Years ago I went to a gym that had the screaming death metal going and it about drove me crazy.
I’m from the days when we listened to “eye of the tiger” to get pumped before a football game.

My training listening this summer has been alternating between Queens of the Stone Age's In Times New Roman and Dozer's Drifting in the Endless Void. Both fantastic albums that set a good tone for training.

My musical tastes are pretty wide and varied and consist of everything from bluegrass to jazz to death metal and grind. However, I have found that I really enjoy working out while listening to more long-form experimental or proggy music. It helps me get zoned in on the work at hand as the music fades into the background instead of finding myself being stimulated by the listening.

Lately my playlist for sessions has consisted of Elder, Opeth, Russian Circles, Heilung, Wardruna, etc. If I am trying to lift some really heavy weight I will dial up Meshuggah or something heavy and rhythmic right before my set to get the blood pumping.

then listen to these. You’ll deload
Of course I had to. Completely unknown genre to me (I think I've heard "Car wash" in some movie soundtrack). I've heard that it sometimes takes willpower to do your training, but I would say even more so going through this playlist. I'm sorry but I don't think I can do this program after all ROFL.

90s Hip Hop, classic rock and select pop from the modern age on spotify techno and house mixes from SoundCloud.

My go-to is Endless Boogie. Very long, heavy, almost-meditative grooves. What ZZTop would sound like if they made yoga music

As I stated before, I don’t listen to music while lifting. However, I do listen to music to get me going for BJJ. My favorite recently is Watch the World Burn by Falling in Reverse. Their singer can rap better than 99% of rappers and scream better than most metal singers. The video is great (possibly a little sacrilegious), and this song is phenomenal:

Last edited:
Never really thought of listening to music while lifting weights. They play music sometimes at fencing, and some of it is period music from the Renaissance and such, which gives the experience a surreal quality... but for my self at home, I don't really appreciate music enough to want to listen to it while training. If I listen to music I just listen to music without any distractions. I don't want any weight lifting to distract me from my music listening.

Back
Top Bottom