all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Music Whilst Training

Something about your post made me think of a difference in people in powerlifting. Some people need to increase their state of arousal before a lift, some people need to decrease their state of arousal before a lift. Finding that "right" arousal state gives them enough to lift heavy weights but not too much that it takes away from being able to lift with their best technique.

A good observation, and I think this varies not only by the person but also by the lift being performed.

-S-

I’m taking notes. I’m not familiar with a lot of bands/musicians that were mentioned. Maybe I’ll find a new favorite.
If you like distinctive country singer/songwriters, you might also want to check out Billy Joe Shaver and Buddy Miller (the two Buddy Miller examples below are covers, but they're so good). And for a distinctive bluesy, but not really blues, singer/songwriter Chris Whitley:

Billy Joe Shaver:

Nice!! My part of the World, though I'm now on the Gulf (of Mexico) Coast.

The North Mississippi All Stars (or Hill Country Revue depending upon personnel) have done a phenomenal job of carrying on Otha Turner's legacy, along with Junior Kimbrough and R. L. Burnside's legacies. They play "Hill Country Blues" originating in North Mississippi (MS) around Oxford, as opposed to Delta Blues which originated in the MS Delta which runs along the River from Memphis down to Vicksburg and extends East up to ~50 miles. Chicago Blues actually originated in the MS Delta, most of those artists had gone North to Chicago to escape (cotton) farm life for better paying jobs. I graduated from Delta State University, in Cleveland, MS, in the heart of the MS Delta.

Check out the Black Keys' album: "Chulahoma, The Songs of Junior Kimbrough." They include a voicemail from Junior's wife telling them how much she appreciates their continuing his legacy.

Nice!! My part of the World, though I'm now on the Gulf (of Mexico) Coast.

The North Mississippi All Stars (or Hill Country Revue depending upon personnel) have done a phenomenal job of carrying on Otha Turner's legacy, along with Junior Kimbrough and R. L. Burnside's legacies. They play "Hill Country Blues" originating in North Mississippi (MS) around Oxford, as opposed to Delta Blues which originated in the MS Delta which runs along the River from Memphis down to Vicksburg and extends East up to ~50 miles. Chicago Blues actually originated in the MS Delta, most of those artists had gone North to Chicago to escape (cotton) farm life for better paying jobs. I graduated from Delta State University, in Cleveland, MS, in the heart of the MS Delta.

Check out the Black Keys' album: "Chulahoma, The Songs of Junior Kimbrough." They include a voicemail from Junior's wife telling them how much she appreciates their continuing his legacy.
I shall.

To add to the alt country/bluegrass/folk pile I present Trampled by Turtles. Or what happens when a metal band gets all its equipment stolen and they resort to using the acoustic stuff they had left.

Did not know that!! Aren’t they out of Duluth?

They are a terrific band!!

When doing stationary bike training I prefer the silence and the noise of the bike. It is meditation. The calmness and the boredom. My cup of tea.

honestly, music distracts me from the task at hand. I really don't like listening to music while I train. If something is too tedious that it requires a distraction (running for example) I don't bother with the activity.

The only exception is dancing.

honestly, music distracts me from the task at hand. I really don't like listening to music while I train. If something is too tedious that it requires a distraction (running for example) I don't bother with the activity.

The only exception is dancing.
Not tedious here. I passionately love training. The right music, but not too loud, enhances my joy. It also blends into the background.

Back
Top Bottom