all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Music Whilst Training

Depending on what I'm doing, I change what I listen to.
If I'm doing something like timeless S&S and really focusing on breathing control and lowering my HR between sets, then a podcast (Tim Ferriss, Joe Rogan, Peter Attia, etc.).
If I'm doing something with less emphasis on rest/breath recovery, then some jacked up drum and bass, hard rock, or anything really heavy and intense.
Recently, during LISS runs I'm stopped listening to music/podcasts and let my mind wander to things I'm mentally preparing for (work issues, dealing with my kids, issues I'm sorting out).

Tool, Godsmack, Rammstein. Five Finger Death Punch, on shuffle .
Plus 1 for Tool, also Rammstein (only when wife is out though, she hates it) and Metallica (Ride the Lightning album) or Maiden if the mood takes me. I like something with a steady tempo for TGU, occasionally I’ll dip into a bit of Basil Poledouris for those, but that’s my embarrassing secret that ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE, will ever learn about.

Plus 1 for Tool, also Rammstein (only when wife is out though, she hates it) and Metallica (Ride the Lightning album) or Maiden if the mood takes me. I like something with a steady tempo for TGU, occasionally I’ll dip into a bit of Basil Poledouris for those, but that’s my embarrassing secret that ABSOLUTELY NO-ONE, will ever learn about.
Worth it for the Conan soundtrack alone.

Relaxed country(ish) music. Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, James McMurtry, Charlie Robison, Jason Isbell, Townes Van Zandt, or else Delta Blues. I like a lot of @John K ’s Country stuff.
nice list (as was @John K 's). I'm a big John Hiatt, Jason Isbell, and Townes Van Zandt fan. You might try Son Volt.

BTW, I finished another Faulkner book a couple weeks ago. The Unvanquished. Try it out, it overlaps some characters with Absalom Absalom pretty interestingly. And I understood it (mostly, I think) the first time!

That all said, I tend to listen to Iron Maiden or Rush when I strength train lately. Beethoven symphonies when I'm doing hard intervals on the row-erg, and podcasts for LISS stuff (though I've been off the "LISS stuff" for a while).

I love Son Volt!
I'm from Chicago, so you'd think I'd be more on the Wilco side of the Uncle Tupelo divide. No.

But I still love Wilco. Jeff Tweedy is a genius.
Farrar is a much better, to my taste, singer. I could listen to that guy sing the phone book.

They passed through my area (San Francisco) a few weeks ago and I caught wind…..the next day. Darn near caught a flight to Portland for next show.

Sadly, I have never been able to catch a Son Volt show.

Tweedy's book "Let's Go (so We Can Get Back)" is fantastic.

I also enjoyed the documentary "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" on making Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"

Sadly, I have never been able to catch a Son Volt show.

Tweedy's book "Let's Go (so We Can Get Back)" is fantastic.

I also enjoyed the documentary "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" on making Wilco's "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
I haven’t seen SV either, but I saw Farrar doing an acoustic show with an accompanying guitar player ~20 years ago. He was fantastic.

I’ve never really caught the Tweedy bug (my brother is a big fan), but youve inspired me to try again…

I haven’t seen SV either, but I saw Farrar doing an acoustic show with an accompanying guitar player ~20 years ago. He was fantastic.

I’ve never really caught the Tweedy bug (my brother is a big fan), but youve inspired me to try again…
The beautiful thing about the two wonderful bands that came out of Uncle Tupelo, is that you don't have to choose sides. You can prefer one to the other and still like the other band too!

If I was starting over with Wilco, I'd watch "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart." It is so compelling. The band is in the middle of internal tension with the members. They lose their record deal. And they still create "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" which is an amazing recording. When they began filming, they had no idea all of these things would happen. It is so great to see a band and artist (Tweedy) under such great pressure and yet they persevere.

Big Wilco fan. Hulu show The Bear uses the music perfectly. Highly recommend The Bear.

I typically just listen to something before my workout, usually FFDP. This just gets me in the zone and helps boost my adrenaline. But no, I dont really listen to music while working out.

Back
Top Bottom