all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Music Whilst Training

I listen to the Rage Against the Machine station on Pandora. It'll cycle through some Cypress Hill and Beastie Boys as well AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. Then I cool down with the Fatboy Slim station.

I feel like an outlier a little bit reading some of these. I listen to a lot of Jam Band stuff. mostly Phish. I got into that in college and the longer instrumental songs actually made it easier for me to concentrate while studying. The same holds true for KB practice. There's a band called Umphrey's McGee that's more progressive jam music that I listen to as well.

I listen to the Rage Against the Machine station on Pandora. It'll cycle through some Cypress Hill and Beastie Boys as well AC/DC and Led Zeppelin. Then I cool down with the Fatboy Slim station.
I saw Cypress Hill in Glasgow Barrowlands in 1997. B-Real telling us all how crazy we were. He made us repeat a chant we were doing to get them to do an encore saying it was going to be used on their next album but alas they didn’t.

Reactions: ajs
I feel like an outlier a little bit reading some of these. I listen to a lot of Jam Band stuff. mostly Phish. I got into that in college and the longer instrumental songs actually made it easier for me to concentrate while studying. The same holds true for KB practice. There's a band called Umphrey's McGee that's more progressive jam music that I listen to as well.
I feel ya on the longer songs, but most of my long favorites have vocals. I find any version of "Cortez the Killer" and Govt Mule's cover of "She Said, She Said" are the perfect tempo for kettlebell training, to name two. Speaking of Umphrey's McGee, they do an incredible mashup of Sabotage and Stranglehold called "Strangletage." IMHO, that song is 1 + 1 adding up to 3.

I feel ya on the longer songs, but most of my long favorites have vocals. I find any version of "Cortez the Killer" and Govt Mule's cover of "She Said, She Said" are the perfect tempo for kettlebell training, to name two. Speaking of Umphrey's McGee, they do an incredible mashup of Sabotage and Stranglehold called "Strangletage." IMHO, that song is 1 + 1 adding up to 3.

They have a whole album dedicated to mash-ups called Zonkey and that song is on there. I saw them at Red Rocks in Colorado where they mashed up "Closer" by NIN and "Come Together" by the Beatles

Since I have my own gym, I have a speaker setup that I plug my iPod into. While my music taste ranges from Mozart to Metallica, there is no Mozart going on during my workouts, unless it's the "cool down" song for the walk home after my runs. But I play what I'm in the mood for that day. Sometimes it's an 80s playlist, sometimes a mix of Metallica, Alterbridge, FFDP, Nightwish, or GnR. Sometimes movie soundtracks.
As someone else mentioned I do not like to wear anything in my ears when I train. I do when I run but I keep the music low so I can hear around me. Since I live in mountain lion country I wouldn't hear one if it were sneaking up on me anyway with or without music, but I do not often run in the hills. I'm more worried about drivers than I am the big cats.

I think of music in terms of energy levels, as it is difficult to compare music tastes.

Tom Jackson of Live Music Method uses a five-level distinction.
The middle (a three) is marked by cruise along songs, mid energy. Usually what is played in the radio.
A five is something high energy, all-out songs (for you). Usually a bit more aggressive, often in major keys.
A one is something soothing or very calm, often in minor keys, slower and with less instrumentation.
Oviously, twos and fours bridge those levels, and are sometimes played in the radio, too.

For training A+A style session I prefer solid threes, something to cruise along to. For me, this usually mean some good boom-bap rap and dancehall and some uplifting reggae. Sometimes I want more energy and listen to more aggressive styles (a four, like British Grime for me). When I am stressed from a long work day, I might choose someting more calming (a two), like minor key folk (e.g., Gilian Welch), or even something soothing like some minor key baroque piano music (French Suites by J.S. Bach for example).

I remember Pavel saying something along the lines of only listening to hard or soft music, avoiding the middle ground. Either Metallica or Carla Bruni...

Can't believe I've found another UM fan on here. About half of what I listen to when training (or any other time) is live Umphrey's. The day their Hall of Fame album drops each year is like Christmas to me.

Progressive rock is my go-to when training. Umphrey's, Rush, Animals as Leaders get played a lot. Lots of metal, too. Pantera, Slayer, Metallica.

Last edited:
Some of the utter drivel that passes for music these days isn’t funny. It’s exponentially unfunny when one pays a gym membership and is into squats and deadlifts. If I owned a gym I’d control the stereo with an iron fist. Chalk? Whatever! Grunting and dropping weights “meh”, think you are assaulting my ears with that guff? Please leave!

Can't believe I've found another UM fan on here. About half of what I listen to when training (or any other time) is live Umphrey's. The day their Hall of Fame album drops each year is like Christmas to me

For sure! Spotify is a real gem. I created one big playlist with the entire hall of fame collection. It’s like weeks of great tunes!

I only listen to what’s forced upon me. If I had a choice it would be 70ish hard rock maybe some of these . . . as they contribute to hypertrophy.

“Iron Man," Black Sabbath
"Freebird," Lynyrd Skynyrd
"Smoke on the Water," Deep Purple
"Ramble On," Led Zeppelin
“You ain’t see nothing yet” Backman-Turner Overdrive
“Slow Ride” Foghat
“Sunshine of your love” Cream
“Whipping Post” Allman Brothers
“Radar Love” Golden Earring

I hate rap and on a side note Bob Dylan was one of the first.

Back
Top Bottom