all posts post new thread

Old Forum My Barbell Ladder Experiment - Long Post

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Thanks very much, Pavel - I'm really looking forward to seeing where I end up at the end of this cycle.

-S-

Another Heavy Day, 11 days after the last one, and another PR.

315 x 8 reps = PR (right hand under, weaker grip, do first)

315 x 5 reps, left under, stronger grip

1RM calculator says 391, tantalizingly close to 400, and way above anything I've ever pulled.  Recent 1RM is 345, lifetime is 365.

Could have done 8 reps for second set but was starting for feel form get a little sloppy.

-S-

This is testimony to addressing one's weaknesses - my leg strength has never been good, and a steady diet of moderate front squats for sets of 5 and a light deadlifts for sets of 10 has been just the ticket for improving my heavy, every week or two, deadlift sessions.

I will be taking a Marty Gallagher style wave for my next heavy session, going from 315 x 8 to 325 x 5, effectively lowering the 1RM equivalent by about 25 lbs, and then I will try to ramp up my 5's for a few weeks.  For those who like to see the math, here is

Weight x Reps = 1RM equivalent - date performed

275 x 8 = 341 - August 23

285 x 8 = 354 - September 7, followed by illness and no DL for 4 weeks

295 x 8 = 366 - October 5 - felt OK to pick up cycle right where it had left off

305 x 8 = 379 - October 19

315 x 8 = 391 - October 30

* Wave volume down *

325 x 5 = 366

335 x 5 = 377

345 x 5 = 388

355 x 5 = 399 - or switch to 3's but I hope not

* Wave volume down again to 3's

365 x 3

etc.

-S-

This is awesome. I probably should've searched the forum before asking about these in my recent post. I'm starting my first heavy day on monday after today and this friday being ramp up ladder sessions.

The Plan Continues.  I had minor surgery under general anesthesia 8 days ago (I'm fine), which was 2 days after my last heavy day.

Today: BP ladders 3 x 1-2-3-4, 2 x 1-2-3 - first time to 3 ladders of 4 w/ this weight (155 lbs), then DL the first of a new wave after 315 x 8, 5 last week: 325 x 5.  I considered continuing with my second set as usual, right up until I tried to break the bar off the ground and it didn't move, so I stopped there - I am still recovering from my surgery and, at some point, giving a hard effort for the main work set is going to mean that any further sets will have to be backoffs or skipped entirely.

As usual on my heavy day, I skipped the dumbbell bench press backoff set, and greatly reduced the 50% speed DL's in order to have energy for the heavy DL sets at the end.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom