all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed My BuiltStrong Minimalist Experience!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
@Nick Stevens, did you measure or otherwise notice changes in body composition as well?

Congratulations on your results - very good, indeed.

-S-

Hi everyone!

It seems that some people are upset about not being given a spreadsheet for PlanStrong (or Built strong) after attending the seminar, while there is one provided with the Built Strong Minimalist product.

Please realize that Built Strong Minimalist is ONE plan, base on only one set of variants and one single strategy. The only changes the user can make are the selection of exercises within a given movement pattern and the volume (Easy, Regular and Tough). Still, it took me months to create the spreadsheet that comes with it.

Plan Strong and Built Strong are not just a formula-based plan, each is a system that within it's principles and rules, allows countless variants and strategies and to design countless plans, from minimalist to complex, with different duration, training schedules, etc.

While by purchasing Built Strong Minimalist one gets a customizable 8-week plan based on three movement patterns, by attending the Plan Strong or Built Strong seminars one learns the system and how to design countless plans of different duration, with different goals, different number of movement patterns/lifts involved, with or without a peaking phase, based on %1RM or on given RMs, with different number of sessions per week, and so on and so forth.

Creating a spreadsheet that takes into account all the variables and possibilities to generate countless plans is almost impossible. It would be a project for a software development team and still, it would not substitute the instructor's "art of coaching" and good judgement. If creating effective tailored plans was just a matter of knowing and applying some algorithms, anyone with a computer and a software could be a great coach. Fortunately is not so.

For instance, the Plan Strong program design team uses a software, but it's NOT a program that designs the plans, it's just something to help with the mathematical calculations and then format the output in a readable way. The guys on the team design each single plan manually, basing on the detailed survey they receive from the student and on their email interactions with them.

I hope this explains the differences.

This is why I'm hesitant to ever attend another PlanStrong event (even with the past attendee discount).

I spent the money on a plane ticket from Florida to Arizona, a hotel room, and the cost of the seminar but left without being able to use the information to create PlanStrong strength plans.

If you attended the Plan Strong Seminar in Arizona I believe that was quite some time ago. The way we teach the Seminar has changed a lot since then and I dare to say it has improved a lot. The principles are the same, but it has evolved and we were able to streamline the teaching flow and we added some new strategies. Also, now it's online, so there are no traveling costs involved. Also, in addition to the manual we now provide three printable worksheets that allow one to design a plan without even opening the manual, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to design an 8-week plan for one lift. (It takes more the first times, but in my experience once one has designed four plans, 10-15 minutes are all that's needed).

Finally, we now offer FREE Plan Strong Q&A online sessions twice a year, open to all those who have participated to at least one of these events. Each participant to these sessions is asked to send their top question, so the instructor can make sure all questions receive an answer. In addition to answering the questions, we usually share some updates and new strategies we have implemented in the system. We usually email all the former participants and invite them to join, but I know we have lots some emails from our database. If you have never received an invitation to join a Q&A session, I suggest you email admin@strongfirst.com and ask to be included in the broadcast list.

Hopefully soon! @Fabio Zonin any updates on BTS4-6?

I have finished designing the plans and the related spreadsheets (just need to fix some formatting issues), and the manual is almost ready.
I'll be traveling and teaching basically every weekend this month, so I'm planning on finalizing everything in July. One finalized I'm sure Strong and Fit won't take long to publish it.

Pardon me for the long message and I send my best to everyone here!

Hi everyone!

It seems that some people are upset about not being given a spreadsheet for PlanStrong (or Built strong) after attending the seminar, while there is one provided with the Built Strong Minimalist product.

Please realize that Built Strong Minimalist is ONE plan, base on only one set of variants and one single strategy. The only changes the user can make are the selection of exercises within a given movement pattern and the volume (Easy, Regular and Tough). Still, it took me months to create the spreadsheet that comes with it.

Plan Strong and Built Strong are not just a formula-based plan, each is a system that within it's principles and rules, allows countless variants and strategies and to design countless plans, from minimalist to complex, with different duration, training schedules, etc.

While by purchasing Built Strong Minimalist one gets a customizable 8-week plan based on three movement patterns, by attending the Plan Strong or Built Strong seminars one learns the system and how to design countless plans of different duration, with different goals, different number of movement patterns/lifts involved, with or without a peaking phase, based on %1RM or on given RMs, with different number of sessions per week, and so on and so forth.

Creating a spreadsheet that takes into account all the variables and possibilities to generate countless plans is almost impossible. It would be a project for a software development team and still, it would not substitute the instructor's "art of coaching" and good judgement. If creating effective tailored plans was just a matter of knowing and applying some algorithms, anyone with a computer and a software could be a great coach. Fortunately is not so.

For instance, the Plan Strong program design team uses a software, but it's NOT a program that designs the plans, it's just something to help with the mathematical calculations and then format the output in a readable way. The guys on the team design each single plan manually, basing on the detailed survey they receive from the student and on their email interactions with them.

I hope this explains the differences.
Whoa! Yes, that helps. Thank you!

If you attended the Plan Strong Seminar in Arizona I believe that was quite some time ago..
Yes it was! 2014. I met you there:

IMG_20141109_150351.jpg

The way we teach the Seminar has changed a lot since then and I dare to say it has improved a lot. The principles are the same, but it has evolved and we were able to streamline the teaching flow and we added some new strategies. Also, now it's online, so there are no traveling costs involved. Also, in addition to the manual we now provide three printable worksheets that allow one to design a plan without even opening the manual, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to design an 8-week plan for one lift. (It takes more the first times, but in my experience once one has designed four plans, 10-15 minutes are all that's needed).
This is great to hear! I may attend again.

However, I am attending the Programming Denystified seminar (online). It appears that there will be some spreadsheets for some of the plans. I'm excited about that.

Finally, we now offer FREE Plan Strong Q&A online sessions twice a year, open to all those who have participated to at least one of these events. Each participant to these sessions is asked to send their top question, so the instructor can make sure all questions receive an answer. In addition to answering the questions, we usually share some updates and new strategies we have implemented in the system. We usually email all the former participants and invite them to join, but I know we have lots some emails from our database. If you have never received an invitation to join a Q&A session, I suggest you email admin@strongfirst.com and ask to be included in the broadcast list.
I've never known about this or received emails! I'll contact admin.

I have finished designing the plans and the related spreadsheets (just need to fix some formatting issues), and the manual is almost ready.
I'll be traveling and teaching basically every weekend this month, so I'm planning on finalizing everything in July. One finalized I'm sure Strong and Fit won't take long to publish it.
Awesome! Thank you. And safe travels.

Pardon me for the long message and I send my best to everyone here!
Thank you for taking the time to reply and address some concerns with the PlanStrong and BuiltStrong seminars.

WEEK 8: Test Week!

WEDNESDAY:
Double Kettlebell Front Squats
24kg + 24kg
Previous RM: 7
New RM: 12

This is very surprising! Not only was I NOT feeling strong this morning (or good in general), but I haven't DBKBFS the 24kg for 10 (or more reps) in several years because of knee pain (arthritis)!

I'll finish my Dips and Chin-ups for this session and report back Friday for my weighted pull-ups.

WEEK 8: Test Week!

FRIDAY:
Weighted Pull-ups
BW + 6kg
Previous RM: 7
New RM: 10

I have NOT felt good or strong all week (some sort of intestinal bug).

But all three lifts improved far more than I expected!

I'll take some measurements and an updated photo next week and post my final results.

As of right now, I've lost 6lbs (plus 2 pounds right before I started BuiltStrong Minimalist).

I'll be testing some new lifts throughout the week for my next BuiltStrong cycle.

This time, I'll be using 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses for all three Press lifts (H, M, L), Barbell Deadlifts in place of the Heavy Squats, Renegade Rows, and possibly a different leg exercise for my Light Squats (because of my knees).

I'll still be using Chin-ups, Weighted Pull-ups, and Double Kettlebell Front Squats in this new phase.

I decided to test my 1RM on 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses today as I'll be using them for all my Press variations (H, M, L) in my next 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist phase.

Just like all week, I wasn't feeling strong (I've had some sort of intestinal bug). :(

However, for the first time, I was able to Press the 30kg!!!! :)

This was the weight I needed to Press for half body-weight when I was 125-132lbs!

I was always within 1-2kg of a half body-weight Press with the 28kg kettlebell, but I just couldn't get 30kg then.

So today was quite a surprise! :D

Unfortunately, I'm heavier (fatter) now so I would have to Press the 32kg for half body-weight which is my next goal.

I'll be testing Deadlifts, heavier Weighted Pull-ups, and a few other lifts this week to finalize my next round of BuiltStrong Minimalist.

I finished today with a "Swing Sandwich" session with 2-Hand Swings (32kg) and 1-Arm Kettlebell Presses (24kg) using 1-2-3 Ladders and EMOM.

Like this:

:00 - 2-Hand Swings x 10
1:00 - 1-Arm Press x 1/1
2:00 - 2-Hand Swings x 10
3:00 - 1-Arm Press x 2 (R)
4:00 - 2-Hand Swings x 10
5:00 - 1-Arm Press x 2 (L)
6:00 - 2-Hand Swings x 10
7:00 - 1-Arm Press x 3 (R)
8:00 - 2-Hand Swings x 10
9:00 - 1-Arm Press x 3 (L)
10:00 - 2-Hand Swings x 10

I did that for 3 Ladders (30 minutes).

I'll be using the 24kg for my Heavy press day on BuiltStrong Minimalist for 1-2-3 Ladders so I wanted to get a feel for it today.

NEW RM TEST WEEK!

After 6 days with some sort of intestinal bug last week, I lost 3lbs.

However, after carbing up Saturday and Sunday, I'm back to where I was which is still 3lbs down during my first 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist program.

This is a new testing week to establish various RM's for my next BuiltStrong Minimalist phase that begins next Monday.

I tested my body-weight Chin-ups and Weighed Pull-ups today followed by a training session like I'll have next Monday (H: 1-Arm Presses / M: DKBFS / L: Chin-ups) to get a feel for it. It was tough!

I have most of my exercise RM's already tested, but I still need to test Barbell Deadlifts on Wednesday as it's been about a year since I last used the barbell. I've only used Trap Bar Deadlifts on and off for the last 8-10 months.

SIMPLE & SINISTER!

Since my Murph Challenge training is over, I'm going to use S&S as recommended in BuiltStrong Minimalist for my off days.

I haven't performed S&S in YEARS (2019)!

I started back today with 24kg for both 1-Arm Swings and Get-ups.

For 1-Arm Swings, 24kg is just right for me as my grip is always the issue (puny forearms).

The Get-ups are very easy at 24kg, so I'll probably move up to 28kg in a couple weeks and eventually 32kg.

I'm taking it easy for now as I still have tendonitis in my left elbow (and Get-ups aggravate it) and my right shoulder is nearly 100% after YEARS of rehab (PT, massage, ART, etc.) for arthritis/bursitis.

I'm planning on performing S&S on Tuesday and Thursday. I may also include an easy Snatch session on Saturday's.

S&S:
1-Arm Swings (24kg)
- EMOM for 10 minutes/rounds

1-minute rest

Get-ups (24kg)
- EMOM for 10 minutes/rounds

Simple and short (20 minutes)!

I tested my Barbell Deadlift today, and it was terrible!!

After not using a barbell the last few years (only Trap Bar Deadlifts), it felt heavy and awkward.

Part of it is from a car accident in 2017 and minor back surgery (RFA) in 2019. I've never been the same since that accident as I lost size and strength in my lower body that I've never regained.

So I'm going to be very conservative for the Deadlift to get back to it feeling normal again.

BUILTSTRONG MINIMALIST FINAL RESULTS:

I've lost 5lbs.

My waist has lost a few inches (I have to re-measure).

My arms appear to have gotten bigger (I need to re-measure).

20230614_123006.jpg

I didn't take any before photos or other measurements before beginning the program. But I had lost two pounds prior to starting.

I'm still struggling to lose the belly fat. This has been going on for the last 2.5 years, and it's really pissing me off!

So these photos serve as both my post results and now my before photos for my next 8-week BuiltStrong Minimalist program beginning Monday.

20230614_123330.jpg

Looking good man.

This is a bit off topic but did you used to be a member of T nation years ago? In the 2000s?

You are a ringer for Member called Nate Dogg although it would be probably 15 years since I've seen a pic.

Last edited:
Looking good man.

This is a bit off topic but did you used to be a member of T nation years ago? In the 2000s?

You are a ringer for Member called Nate Dogg although it would be probably 15 years since I've seen a pic.
Yeah bro! That's me. The one and only original Nate Dogg since the T-Nation forums began in 1999! That's hilarious!

Now your name rings a bell!

I have rarely posted over there since I started my fitness business in 2009. And the forum has changed so much that I only read some of the articles these days.

Yeah bro! That's me. The one and only original Nate Dogg since the T-Nation forums began in 1999! That's hilarious!

Now your name rings a bell!

I have rarely posted over there since I started my fitness business in 2009. And the forum has changed so much that I only read some of the articles these days.
I thought it was man, a real T nation legend haha .

There was some great characters on the forum back then, to name a few, people like The mighty stu, nards, iron dwarf and the big man Professor X who could be very hard work when talking about training lol.

I recognised the tribal tat and body shape, you look in better shape now than back then so Great work.

I was more of a lurker back then but did used to post a bit. I've not been on it for many years, it changed far too much for my liking.

It's Great to see you are doing well man.

I thought it was man, a real T nation legend haha .
LOL!

There was some great characters on the forum back then, to name a few, people like The mighty stu, nards, iron dwarf and the big man Professor X who could be very hard work when talking about training lol.
That brings back some memories of the good ole days!

I recognised the tribal tat and body shape, you look in better shape now than back then so Great work.
Thanks! I'm still working on it. I was in better shape from 2011-2020 (leaner, stronger, and better conditioned). But a car accident, aging, some pain/injuries, and life have beat me up the last few years. But I refuse to decline. Progress is just a lot slower and more frustrating now.

I was more of a lurker back then but did used to post a bit. I've not been on it for many years, it changed far too much for my liking.

It's Great to see you are doing well man.
Yeah, it's not the same for sure.

It's great seeing you here. It's funny that you remembered me from T-Nation. That seems like an eternity ago!

LOL!

That brings back some memories of the good ole days!

Thanks! I'm still working on it. I was in better shape from 2011-2020 (leaner, stronger, and better conditioned). But a car accident, aging, some pain/injuries, and life have beat me up the last few years. But I refuse to decline. Progress is just a lot slower and more frustrating now.

Yeah, it's not the same for sure.

It's great seeing you here. It's funny that you remembered me from T-Nation. That seems like an eternity ago!
The boards were great back the, so many Great people.

Life often gets in the way of progress, sorry to hear about the Car accident and other set backs. Progress may be slower now but hey, it's still progress.

I have an excellent long term memory and alway remember little details of things lol.
I'm sure you had nipple piercings that I can remember from progress photos?

The boards were great back the, so many Great people.
For sure!

Life often gets in the way of progress, sorry to hear about the Car accident and other set backs. Progress may be slower now but hey, it's still progress.
This is true. And I'm not going to stop.

I have an excellent long term memory and alway remember little details of things lol.
I'm sure you had nipple piercings that I can remember from progress photos?
LOL! Yep, sure did. :D

For sure!

This is true. And I'm not going to stop.

LOL! Yep, sure did. :D
Hey they were a popular look back then.

I joined here a couple of weeks ago after lurking on and off for years.

I injured my right hand side glute while back Whilst Deadlifting and started doing Kettlebell swings again for rehab and ended up getting bitten by the Kettlebell bug.

These forums are great, there some some great people on here and lots of camaraderie.

Anyway fantastic results losing 5lbs with an increase in arm size. I look forward to seeing your results after the next 8 weeks.

Hey they were a popular look back then.

I joined here a couple of weeks ago after lurking on and off for years.
Things were better when the internet first started. This is a pretty good place.

I injured my right hand side glute while back Whilst Deadlifting and started doing Kettlebell swings again for rehab and ended up getting bitten by the Kettlebell bug.
I've been using kettlebells since 2001! I had posted about it in the Testosterone forums way back then. :D

They're great for a variety of reasons, and rehab is one of them. It sucks that you were injured, but it's good to hear Swings help!

Anyway fantastic results losing 5lbs with an increase in arm size. I look forward to seeing your results after the next 8 weeks.
Yeah. I'm quite pleased and surprised by the results. I haven't had an increase in arm size in forever!

Losing fat while on a muscle gaining program was the icing on the cake. And I improved my RM's and strength too.

I'm hoping I'll see similar results in the next 8 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom