all posts post new thread

My Busy Dad protocol - a GtG success

Adachi

Level 7 Valued Member
THE BACK STORY

Recently, I've been frustrated with not having 30-60 minutes set aside in a day for getting back on the path to simple and sinister. I did get 1 session in recently but it was not without a harried break to intervene with the kids, since they were fighting for some reason. Having the 3 young kids at home with me , and working from home has been a great improvement in some ways, and a hindrance in other ways.

Staying within my ability to set aside 30 - 60 seconds at a time, I've implemented the following protocol. It was a desperate accident at first, which became a purposeful pursuit.

THE PROGRAM

I'm calling it Program Absolute Minimum. From what I can tell, it's apparently a pure strength protocol just like Justa singles.
  • 1 series = 2 sets. LH + RH .
  • 5 series per day.
  • All series in one day are same exercise and weight.
  • An exercise is not repeated 2 days in a row.
Reps chart
16kg​
24kg​
32kg​
Swing 2H / 1H
-​
20 / 10​
10 / 5​
Press
-​
10​
5​
Snatch
10​
5​
-​

• Program calls for performing 1 series ( a left arm and right arm set) of one exercise 5 times throughout the day; in grease the groove fashion.
  • A different exercise is selected for each day.
  • The warm up is comprised of being awake long enough to have had a second cup of coffee.
  • The cool down is a 90-90 stretch once or twice per week.
The exercise and kettlebell size selection is based on an opportunist what-feels-freshest criteria. It could probably be done with dice or a coin flip a la Q&D.

I have taken more than one day off; probably in the wake of 100-rep–snatch days. But , it's been an almost daily regimen.

INITIAL RESULT

I have more testing to fit in as I go along to find out more about my progress. Today, I tested my push press. In 3 weeks it went from 3RM to 11RM with the 32kg.

I can still see a little hypertrophy here and there, and the movements continue to become easier across the past few weeks. It has caused me to consider ordering a 40kg bell sooner than later, as the 32kg swings are improving very quickly.
-------------
I guess I hope this is helpful to someone, who is hard up for time and sleep, like I am.
All my best to you and yours.

Last edited:
nice work - life happens. this comment is less on the program you've put in place, but more of a thought that if time is still a constraint and it seems you are an experienced operator, you might want to consider Quick and the Dead. The time spent is minimal, the results are maximal, if that's a word. If you haven't read it or incorporated it yet - you might find that it's all you need to push yourself to the next level with brief bursts of intensity, a few days a week, which can be kept up many many weeks, months and then some, without burning out.

Agreed with everyone above. I too have 3 kids and work from home so separate work out time is nearly impossible.
2-3 times a week I hit 044 w/24kg. This can be done outside when we are playing. I also throw in sandbag carries, handstand, front levers and pistols throughout the day. Whenever I do laundry (seemingly endless) I do 10/10 swings with 32kg.
My "test" has been feeling very fresh, increasing my handstand abilities and swinging the 40kg really well.

consider Quick and the Dead. The time spent is minimal, the results are maximal
Thanks @Keep Lifting .

I may take you up on that suggestion. I've got the book. I've tried it out here and there. I guess I was hoping to get around to achieving timeless simple before switching to Q&D.

But, who knows. I'm starting to get used to the 32kg anyways. And you're right the time is minimal.

THE BACK STORY

Recently, I've been frustrated with not having 30-60 minutes set aside in a day for getting back on the path to simple and sinister. I did get 1 session in recently but it was not without a harried break to intervene with the kids, since they were fighting for some reason. Having the 3 young kids at home with me , and working from home has been a great improvement in some ways, and a hindrance in other ways.

Staying within my ability to set aside 30 - 60 seconds at a time, I've implemented the following protocol. It was a desperate accident at first, which became a purposeful pursuit.

THE PROGRAM

I'm calling it Program Absolute Minimum. From what I can tell, it's apparently a pure strength protocol just like Justa singles.
  • 1 series = 2 sets. LH + RH .
  • 5 series per day.
  • All series in one day are same exercise and weight.
  • An exercise is not repeated 2 days in a row.
Reps chart
16kg​
24kg​
32kg​
Swing 2H / 1H
-​
20 / 10​
10 / 5​
Press
-​
10​
5​
Snatch
10​
5​
-​

• Program calls for performing 1 series ( a left arm and right arm set) of one exercise 5 times throughout the day; in grease the groove fashion.
  • A different exercise is selected for each day.
  • The warm up is comprised of being awake long enough to have had a second cup of coffee.
  • The cool down is a 90-90 stretch once or twice per week.
The exercise and kettlebell size selection is based on an opportunist what-feels-freshest criteria. It could probably be done with dice or a coin flip a la Q&D.

I have taken more than one day off; probably in the wake of 100-rep–snatch days. But , it's been an almost daily regimen.

INITIAL RESULT

I have more testing to fit in as I go along to find out more about my progress. Today, I tested my push press. In 3 weeks it went from 3RM to 11RM with the 32kg.

I can still see a little hypertrophy here and there, and the movements continue to become easier across the past few weeks. It has caused me to consider ordering a 40kg bell sooner than later, as the 32kg swings are improving very quickly.
-------------
I guess I hope this is helpful to someone, who is hard up for time and sleep, like I am.
Where did you find the time? ;)

Thanks for your report! Sounds good

I am confused by the pressing part: 5 reps per series with the 32 kg when your Push Press RM was 3?

@Bauer . Yes, three weeks ago I had just received my 32kg bell. I got better. This program kinda followed after the new bell. Really crystallized into a workable rhythm somewhere in-between that first set of triples and now.

FYI - months ago I was doing 200 swings and 20-30 getups per day because my 24kg bell was getting so light and my 32kg bell took 6 months to arrive. But more recently the kids situation has changed to them being at home. So, here we are.

I'm just marveling at what this program has become for me, in light of the idea : there's no such thing as too much rest.

I have always always seen pop fitness programs warn against too much rest. I am becoming skeptical as to why that has ever been the case.

The weekly volume seems to reign supreme, here. I have a long way to go before I can start making peculiar claims about physiological adaptations, but for my purposes GtG is exceeding my requirements.

The bells feel lighter.
The movements feel easier.
The form is more consistent.

That'll do for now, till I can get back to pursuing timeless simple and timeless sinister.

It's turning out to have been a useful detour.

Q&D is pretty fantastic. I prefer 044 as it is very short and seems to provide a great deal of crossover. After not swinging in months, my swing was stronger than ever and I was fairly confident I could hit Simple again without much training/peaking.

Thanks @Keep Lifting .

I may take you up on that suggestion. I've got the book. I've tried it out here and there. I guess I was hoping to get around to achieving timeless simple before switching to Q&D.

But, who knows. I'm starting to get used to the 32kg anyways. And you're right the time is minimal.
Timeless simple is a great objective and if you limit your warm-up to absolute essentials you'll get'er done in less than 20 minutes. great program S&S. What Q&D did for me was get my energy back, S&S was a great foundation that I was already building from ETK, but when I started Q&D, it came at a time in my life when I had no time, kinda like your current situation. After 6 weeks on Q&D I found myself bouncing around the house, feeling like an athlete again and breaking into runs whenever I stepped on the field ( I coach field sports and unfortunately got use to feeling older than my already somewhat old 55 years). I did the straight up snatch protocol with a 24kg for 2 months, started in on the 32kg for another 3 weeks until life threw another curve and shut me down altogether. But Im getting back now, starting with TGU's with an eye on Q&D starting mid December. Whatever you choose to pursue, best of luck with it!

I'm just marveling at what this program has become for me, in light of the idea : there's no such thing as too much rest.
I have always always seen pop fitness programs warn against too much rest. I am becoming skeptical as to why that has ever been the case.

The bells feel lighter.
The movements feel easier.
The form is more consistent.

It's turning out to have been a useful detour.
- it's tough to sell "rest".
- those 3 points are the real mvp
- congrats on finding something that fits your lifestyle and goals! Good work

@Steve W. also uses GtG QnD series of heavy cleans throughout the day, IIRC.
Yes, a lot of my training during the work week is short mini-sessions in my office during breaks (thankfully I can wear clothing conducive to KB lifting).

I use a variety of drills, but mainstays are double cleans, double front squats, snatches and MPs. For the ballistics, I am using a lot of Q&D 044. For snatches, usually two series at a time of 044 10/2. For double cleans, one series at a time of 10/2 or two series of 5/2 (not in the book -- the same timing as 10/2, but only 5 reps/set). For double front squats and presses, mostly just sets of 5.

I can often accumulate quite a bit of volume over the course of a day or week without it getting in the way of my work schedule and without ever breaking a sweat.

INITIAL RESULT

UPDATED RESULT (6 weeks)

Today, I got around to taking note of the progress I've made on this protocol .

On the 2H Swing:
I am now much more confidently swinging the 32kg to Eye level and above , by accident ; this is especially surprising while focusing on a cue of "straight-up!" for maintaining a snappy strong lockout / bracing at the top.
I believe this to be a sign that an upgraded bell size will become very prudent , very soon.
I am as of the past two weeks working exclusively with the 32kg bell

On the 1H Swing:
There is much less give in the less than perfectly squared shoulders on the way to the bottom, due to the torque at the bottom of the 1H swing .
However, the timing of the start of my hip hinge on the way to the back swing could be timed a little later, so that's an improvement I'm looking to maximize. (it's a bit obvious in the playback)
I am as of the past two weeks working exclusively with the 32kg bell.

On the press: I'm not sure if this will render as significantly as it feels to me : but i have moved from a max 11 Push press to a max 12 reps of strict press.
My shoulders do cant a bit during the controlled movement. my perception from watching other videos is that this is within the limits of good form with a set / straight / strong back .
I am as of the past two weeks working exclusively with the 32kg bell

On the snatch:
I am now favoring the 24kg bell well over the 16kg bell . I use the 16kg bell less than 1 x Week. But, when I do, I have become accustomed to using it with over speed eccentrics.
While I'm not 100% on dragging out my sets to 10 reps with the 24kg - the 5 rep sets are becoming incredibly consistent and the lockout is readily obtained at the top .

this evolution has reduced my chosen bells to the following updated selections.
Reps chart16kg24kg32kg
Swing 2H / 1H--10 / 5
Press--5
Snatch105-

While I have held the reps constant - the sets have on certain days gotten up to 7 series per day, instead of the previous goal of 5. This increased volume seems to be having positive effects all the way around.
I'm still noticing a small amount of hypertrophy here and there. especially in the thighs.
My form continues to improve.
The bells continue to feel lighter and move faster, and fly higher, in the reps.
And, I am feeling more energetic on occasion.

FWIW - to a couple posts on this thread - I am very interested in QnD . Some food for thought for me : the pause button is not available with the kids - so the logistical concern remains.
Also: I mean to pay due deference to the author - and first seek simple and sinister.
In fact, when I formalised this choice for GtG I selected the press with returning to the TGU in mind. A strong stable shoulder, was one of my limiting factors during my prior S&S experience.
It may be some time till I can confirm Simple : but, I have very high regard for the plans as constructed, and follow as many of the recommendations as closely as I can.
I have not yet been steered wrong - and I don't intend on thinking that I know any better.

Last edited:
Very interesting. As a father of 4 I can relate to the lack of undisturbed time. Do you do anything else? Mobility, stretching, squats, TGUs etc.

Back
Top Bottom