all posts post new thread

My Busy Dad protocol - a GtG success

Nice GTG workout! How many days a week are you doing this and the press/goblet squat combination?
Thanks!

I don't really goblet squat more than once a week. But I press every day or so. So I might have gotten that combo once a week.

I guess my current focus is pressing strength and continuing my deadlift practice.

Everything else is gravy.

Squats, of any sort, I try to include about 3 days a week.
Goblet squats are an exceptional inclusion.

Frequency of presses is starting to demand lower volume, and, or days off.

Last edited:
Kettlebell deadlift
3x3
48kg
To try and teach my 5yo

Daily Dose Deadlifts
Day 28
5x1
260 lbs

Kettlebell press
Weight ladder
5x1
24kg
32kg
40kg
32kg
24kg

Shoulders and elbows are are barking with discomfort during presses.
Keeping volume low.
Pain isn't increasing.
Hoping it'll subside, shortly.

Kettlebell front squats
5x5
32+24kg

Last edited:
What type of body composition are you getting with this program? It seems like you're moving some pretty good weight!

What type of body composition are you getting with this program? It seems like you're moving some pretty good weight!
My composition did have a noticable shift rather quickly when I started this program.

My weight went from 225 to 240 in very short order, and remains there.

My perception was that this change happened rather suddenly over the course of about a week. I weigh myself daily on a kitchen scale. But admittedly I don't log that or pay it too much mind.

Visually my shoulders and traps are growing from the pressing and my quads are responding to the squats. This seems clear.

The deadlifts are having some effect, because I'm noticing a reduction in effort at the barbell. But composition wise, the effect is not so clear. I'm guessing that is more thinly disseminated across the chain of muscles.

Body fat seems stable.
Waist circumference seems stable.

All that said, the changes are headed in the right direction, but after a sudden rapid shift, are now at a crawl; if that.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in tweaking my program to be more like your GTG structure. I want to do double cleans (adding press and front squat when my shoulders get better), swings, and TGU's. I was thinking the same thing: one lift per day, except on boxing/Muay Thai days. I just need to find the right volume for the cleans.

I just need to find the right volume for the cleans.
Good luck.

I think just focusing on sets of 5 could be a good place to start maybe a similar weight to 2 hand swings sets of five or one size lighter. As long as it's within the range of challenging and doable with good form, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

And if you find a good weight with sets of five, then maybe feel free to cut the weight and go for sets of 10. Either way, it should still be about 30 seconds per visit to the bells.

My response to a weight that was too light was that a set of 10 would magically slip out one day.
My response to a weight that was too heavy was that the last rep wasn't the same as the 1st rep of the set.
But there's a good range of weights that fit in-between, for me.

Last edited:
My response to a weight that was too heavy was that the last rep wasn't the same as the 1st rep of the set.
So, basically, if the last rep wasn't the same, you went down in weight, until the set of 10 magically slipped out, then you could go up? Does that sound right?

So, basically, if the last rep wasn't the same, you went down in weight, until the set of 10 magically slipped out, then you could go up? Does that sound right?
yes - when those sets of 10 would slip out was when I would update the chart, and shift up the weights I was going to be using for that lift - as some of my earlier posts were about those changes upward.

If I remember I think I started at weights where it played out in such a way that I wasn't really in need of downgrading too often. But, there were some hard days where I would do triples instead of 5's for example.

one caveat I'd like to add: what I found was that the shorter the Range of motion - the more likely I was to be able to confidently start out at ...
W = 10Reps​
W+8kg=5Reps.​
I decided based on budgetary concerns to buy into 8kg jumps in my set of bells.
This makes the snatch the most difficult to complete sets with the next higher weight.
The press and the Swing were fairly reliably 10:5 rep relationships between those weights.
But for the snatch, I felt more confident at 10:1-3 reps to start out the next heavier weight.
I'm sure that 4kg jumps in weight would help ameliorate the progression of the snatch.

Last edited:
Daily Dose Deadlifts
Day 33
5x1
235 lbs

the bar feels very light

This is good I guess leading up to the highest weight days .

I will finish this cycle and review the results and I intend to consider whether to start a more wavy PTTP program. 2x5 sounds fine by me.

Daily Dose Deadlifts
Day 34
5x1
235 lbs

Kettlebell Press
3x3
24kg

Still pain in the left shoulder.
Gonna rest more and see what happens.
Looking for 2 days of pressing next week.

Daily Dose Deadlifts
Day 35
5x1
275 lbs

Bar felt moderately heavy. But all 5 reps went with a certain amount of ease, and fatigue dissipated without much noticing.
Grip was not significantly challenged.

Back
Top Bottom